Thread: what do you think.

Thanks

Default what do you think.

It seems the police in Mt Isa are fining motorists $30.00 for leaving their vehicles unlocked.
    I think it stinks.
    what do you think?
    regards flicker.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flicker View Post
    It seems the police in Mt Isa are fining motorists $30.00 for leaving their vehicles unlocked.
    I think it stinks.
    what do you think?
    regards flicker.
    Leave some doughnuts on the seat of your unlocked car.
    Old Dog, No Flies

Thanks

good on them i say.

look at what it costs them in man hours every time a car is broken into or stolen and the person goes in to report it certainly more than $30.

And then look at the time they are wasting in doing so and people have the hide to say WHERES THE COPS WHEN YOU NEED THEM

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Im with fandtm666 on this one.

Call it being cruel to be kind.

Police mantime filling out theft forms or searching for stolen cars could be better spent in the community so if a fine teaches people the obvious like locking up then so be it.

Lets also remember that every claim for a stolen or damaged car being made reflects back on everybodys insurance premiums.

I dont see why i or the community should pay for someone else leaving their car an open invitation for theft.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flicker View Post
    I think it stinks.
    what do you think?
    regards flicker.
    Every school holidays there is a huge increase in the number of thefts from cars (yes in Mount Isa) but this year they have been taking the cars too. It's a fair cop for those who couldn't be bothered to do the right thing.
    EDIT: They have been issueing warnings for 4 or so years now and as far as their concerned the jokes over, I got a warning a couple of years ago for leaving the window down about 8mm.
    On an interesting side note they announced a blitz on people not wearing seatbelts a couple of years back and still managed to get well over 800 tickets for the weekend, some people three and four times in two days; I think they are a little peeved at no-one taking them seriously.
    Last edited by Redwight; 22-11-08 at 01:57 AM. Reason: 'cause I felt like adding extra opinion and information.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

Personally I always leave the doors unlocked in my vehicles at home. I have had door locks and handles stuffed twice by people breaking in for loose change. Our cars are old and have immobilisers fitted and they haven't gone anywhere in 10 years. Hell, they don't go anywhere with the bloody key half the time
    Guess where cars and licences are concerned you will always get different opinions in Oz. Different fees, licences, rules, habits etc from state to state.

Thanks

wonder if they left their car unlocked

"Police in Mount Isa say a 12-year-old girl was found to be more than three times over the legal limit when she crashed a car in the north-west Queensland city.

It is alleged the girl stole a car in the early hours of yesterday morning and crashed into the fence at a private home.

She has been charged with drink driving, driving while unlicensed and the unlawful use of a motor vehicle.

Police say they are concerned about young people getting access to alcohol after the incident.

Inspector Trevor Kidd says child protection authorities were notified, but he is "disturbed" about the incident.

"The reading was certainly high - which is a real concern of course ... any juveniles with alcohol is a real problem that we all need to be concerned about," he said.

"Families need to know what their children are doing and where they are.""

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post

wonder if they left their car unlocked

"Police in Mount Isa say a 12-year-old girl was found to be more than three times over the legal limit when she crashed a car in the north-west Queensland city.

It is alleged the girl stole a car in the early hours of yesterday morning and crashed into the fence at a private home.

She has been charged with drink driving, driving while unlicensed and the unlawful use of a motor vehicle.

Police say they are concerned about young people getting access to alcohol after the incident.

Inspector Trevor Kidd says child protection authorities were notified, but he is "disturbed" about the incident.

"The reading was certainly high - which is a real concern of course ... any juveniles with alcohol is a real problem that we all need to be concerned about," he said.

"Families need to know what their children are doing and where they are.""

we really do need to setup a task force...headed by the army...to go to Mt Isa to protect all the abused children there.

Thanks

So what happens if you’re a plumber or sparky going in and out getting stuff for a job your working on.
    Opening and closing doors every 5 mins would be a pain
    Most times the vehicle would be within view of the contractor
    Would you get fined for that

Thanks

What were they fined for? Surely it isnt illegal to leave a vehicle unlocked. Especially if it cant be started without a key.
    Well if someone smashes a window or damages a lock to get into the car the police will be happy to pay for any damage caused. NOT!!
    Look out if you drive a convertable or ride a motor bike

Banned
    Thanks

Maybe the police could put a bit more effort into extracting some revenue from the lowlifes that steal the cars

Thanks

Thats amazing, the only time I see police out of their cars is to get donuts or book cars for going 4 kays over the limit.

Police on foot, maybe we are entering a new era.

The whole story sheds some light.
    Engines running etc.
    I believe that if you leave your keys in the ignition in Victoria the fine is more like $165
    Last edited by rob916; 25-11-08 at 05:23 PM. Reason: found source
    What happens if I press alt + F4?

Thanks

Default unconvinced

Well there were posts for the police action which use good logic and argument,but I still feel sad they think this is the answer maybe I just live in a different world both geographly and mentally.
    regards flicker.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moof View Post
    What were they fined for? Surely it isnt illegal to leave a vehicle unlocked. Especially if it cant be started without a key.
    Well if someone smashes a window or damages a lock to get into the car the police will be happy to pay for any damage caused. NOT!!
    Look out if you drive a convertable or ride a motor bike
    The law in QLD was changed to make it so that if the driver isn't in the car; the handbrake must be on, the doors locked and the engine stopped. Each one not done gets it's own fine, and i believe they can also fine you for having sunglasses, camera's, money, and CD's visible when parked now too.
    watchdogMaybe the police could put a bit more effort into extracting some revenue from the lowlifes that steal the cars
    Exactly which court is going to jail a twelve year old? And if they choose juvenile detention the nearest facility is probably over 1000km's away which makes it hard for a judge to seperate them from the family in most cases.

Thanks

As mentioned above tradies working out of their truck, I never lock my truck when at a job, back and forth so many times. When i have had various soft top cars they have stayed unlocked all the time as a missing stereo is cheaper than also having to replace the top that was knifed open.
    Besides if every one locked their cars how would ya get the babies out in Melbourne?
    It's hard to make a come back when I havn't been anywhere
    I finally got my head together, now my bodies falling apart.
    為什麼不做你被塞滿

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    Maybe the police could put a bit more effort into extracting some revenue from the lowlifes that steal the cars
    I believe that's the courts job!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

It's bullshit really.
    So where does this leave convertibles or better still motorbikes?
    I bet no cop locks their car when they arrive at a scene somewhere.
    But then again there seems to be one law for cops and one for the public.
    After all the speed camera vans can park on the footpath.
    As for juveniles not being jailed, I reckon if they are old enough to do the crime they're old enough to do some time. (especially if they're repeat offenders)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    It's bullshit really.
    So where does this leave convertibles or better still motorbikes?
    I bet no cop locks their car when they arrive at a scene somewhere.
    But then again there seems to be one law for cops and one for the public.
    After all the speed camera vans can park on the footpath.
    As for juveniles not being jailed, I reckon if they are old enough to do the crime they're old enough to do some time. (especially if they're repeat offenders)
    I want to see the cd collection on your motorbike, and the deck ....
    As for the juvenile thing, we have an interesting legal system and it has nothing to do with justice.