Thread: USB Wireless Storage ideas for TV playback

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default USB Wireless Storage ideas for TV playback

I see there are many Wireless USB storage products now days.
    From USB Wireless Dongles in 32, 64 or 128GB and also Wireless Portable USB Drives in 500, 1 and 1.5TB.

I was hoping to leave one of these units permanently plugged into the back of a TV's USB port, to keep it powered up and also for Playback from the Internal Storage movie files (mp4, avi, mkv, etc)
    And then when i had new files, i could wirelessly send them to the device plugged into the TV (with out having remove and refit a normal USB Storage device to transfer files)

Anyone know if these units will work like this?
    Im think it will be a good solution for those TVs that have USB Playback capabilities, but have no LAN option.

Thanks
    Last edited by ol' boy; 07-12-15 at 11:10 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have tried it once (record to a memory stick) but I have a small 80GB HD connected to a Strong STB that I use occasionally.
    From what I have read, you can only record from the Tuner, not anything from the AV/HDMI inputs (at least thats what one manual says) and sometimes recording on one TV may not always play back on another, no industry standard it seems.
    I can follow what you want to do but havent a clue how to achieve it but new gadgets are coming available all the time and hopefully you'll find what your looking for.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yeah, kind of another subject gordon.

I mean TVs that have USB Media Playback capabilities
    IE: You can play movies on, in multiple file formats from a storage device.
    Standard procedure is to load a USB drive with movies, then plug it into you TV, use the remote to play them.
    But every time you wish to add new movies, you have to reach behind the TV, unplug the HDD, connect it to your computer, and transfer more files over to it, then reconnect it to your TV.

I was hoping these new Wireless Portable Storage devices might give the option to keep it plugged in the TV 24/7, and just WiFi transfer new files over to it, and/or delete the existing files on it.
    Also, as most of these Wireless USB storage products allow you to WiFi connect up to 5 or 8 devices, then it would also become a sudo NAS to a small extent.
    Although i am not sure if they allow simultaneous WiFi and USB access?

Devices i am talking about are like these:

I have no interest in recording TV to a USB stick
    Last edited by ol' boy; 07-12-15 at 12:04 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks

Ok, I did miss that part thinking you would play back whatever then try to record it which is nothing like what you want at all.
    But like you I think the location of the USB port on the TV must have been decided by a committee on where was the worst, hardest place it could be located, particularly if the TV is wall mounted which has put me off using them even if I wanted to.
    Harking back to TV recording, I am sure one handbook says you may have to unplug and reinsert the memory stick each time you try to either record or playback as it may 'Hang Up' which when I read the instructions, it said to me DONT BOTHER ........

USB wireless memory sticks, geeeeeezzzz. I heard or saw a reference to them but thats the first one I have seen.

Have FUN..........
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 07-12-15 at 12:26 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

They have been around for a couple of years gordon, but becoming more mainstream now.

Premium Member

Thanks

oceanboy, my 'Mainstream' is barely a trickle these days so if I dont see it on Austech or in one of the very few publications I might read these days, I KNOW NUTTING'..................

Premium Member
    Thanks

oh well, for a bloke that knows "NUTTING", you've made 3 posts in this thread about Wireless Portable HDD's

Premium Member
    Thanks

Problem solved.

Thanks

quote "Problem solved."

And the solving solution was??
    Have a nice day