Thread: WiFi Camera range?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default WiFi Camera range?

I am not asking for an evaluation of this particular model or brand but what sort of 'CLEAR Line of Sight' range would you get using this sort of Camera ??
    I am not looking to fly 'Miles and Miles' but if its less than a 100 metres, I dont think that would of much use.
    I am only 'looking' and with no one I know has one to ask about, until now I thought those with a 'Fly View' on the Controller was fixed but now I see some use a SMART phone or similar which would reduce the price of the Drone wouldnt it.
    Am I correct in assuming the Camera is this type has its own battery's and Drone uses its own to fly?
    I have read a little on the multi thousand dollar versions which seem to do all but to decide to go for a quick flit across the sky but too rich for my pocket.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Camera and motors are powered from the same battery.

There appear to be no controls for the camera, independent of the copter.

The more expensive types that use a separate camera and mounting tilt/pan gimbal mounting head for a GoPro camera etc use higher capacity batteries.

You would be best to ask the seller for specs regarding distance, etc... if they know that is.

Flight time per charge is likely to be very limited with a 750mAh battery.

Most of these cheap types do not have interchangeable batteries, which may mean a 90 minute charge for 5-10 mins of operation.

You get what you pay for.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (09-12-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks MTV, I have been looking at the ads and found some claim around 50 metres distance for both craft control and camera transmissions, one even says they got 150 metres distance craft control BUT this was under specific conditions.
    I see flight times run around 7 to 9 minutes and a recharge in between 60 and 90 minutes, so you would need more than one battery otherwise there would be a lot of thumb twiddling time between flights.

From what I can see, anything under $500 is primarily a Toy and as you say, 'You Gets what you paid for' that's for certain.

Flying is not a hobby I have ever followed because of the cost and skill needed in building to begin with and then once done, flying it and not crashing which can muck up your whole day.
    For those reasons alone, I would never consider flying a model Helicopter which really does need a high level of skill apart from DEEP pockets but these Drones seem more tolerant to the Idiot brigade (Me) at a fairly minimal cost.
    No harm looking and asking.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

i can go 9 kms with controll and about 5 kms video standared settings 5.8 video
    Last edited by DRONETEC; 09-12-15 at 06:49 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DRONETEC For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (10-12-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

Dronetec, your talking quality and that usually means $$$ which I neither have nor intend to spend as at best, this would simply be an 'Old Boy's Toy'.
    Despite the apparent ease you and the others fly these crazy machines, there is a considerable level of skill needed before even considering something as capable as the one you have posted that link for and of course, you have to justify the spending too.
    I'll bet that wasnt a $99 quadcopter from Aldi or Supercheap !!!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 10-12-15 at 12:43 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Gordon, I have the MJX X600 with the same camera and luv it.

Cost barely $20 more but WAY better performance, due to 7.4V power and 6 props. Can get really fast (for me). Check Youtube videos for MJX X600, even some pro's have fun with it. Also a mod in YouTube to extend the range of the transmitter but I haven't tried it. It flies so far I can barely see it, 100m seems right (I have myopia,LOL). Also spare parts on Ebay, I have crashed plenty of times, but nothing broke.
    Flight time around 10minutes and the battery is interchangeable. Just a bit fiddly with the tiny scew but you can hold the lid with tape or make a little velcro strap.

Forget the prop protectors. Hard to attach and looses performance, especially in wind, and they get tangled in trees... but don't fly inside without them unless you want to repaint your walls.

The wifi camera operates differently and it's range depends largely on the quality of your smart phone.
    On my cheap chinese clone phone it drops after 30m. A good quality phone I would expect double that.
    I only used the camera 3 times, flying is the fun and you need more skill than you might think especially once you loose your head
    The headless mode, I would call sideways mode, is a gymick. Keeping it still in the wind is where you learn some skills but it will fight the wind quite well.

Also consider that anything that fly's further needs a license at least NSW and you must be able to see it directly. FPV flying is banned without special licensing. These things attract people, beware.

Also consider getting the black one. A back dot is better to see than a white one in front of clouds when it is 100m away.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-12-15 at 02:29 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Tiny (11-12-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks nomeat as I was only considering something 'around' the $200 mark tops but while I am being cheap, I didnt want something that was basically junk from Day One if you follow me.
    I am lucky where I am in a small rural village surrounded by natural forestation and I have a 1/2 acre block to play on so I am not limited in where even a real pro one can be flown 'out of sight' if one was available.
    Your comment on the prop protectors is interesting as thats one thing we have here is wind that ranges from a gentle puff to chilling gusts.

In my perusing I saw that MJX X600 and wondered what it was like.

A stupid question but while you cant hang a Tablet onto the controller, is there anything to stop you using a Tablet or anything else with WiFi to pick up the Camera's signal or more than one for that matter?
    What about a GPS that has a wireless reversing Camera, I think their all 2.4 Ghz?

I am not looking to control the Unit through the tablet or anything else, just receive the signal from the Camera?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 10-12-15 at 02:44 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

wal1 (10-12-15)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

The camera uses this software that you can download and try here:
    It works on devices that run Android and iOS, which include tablets.

If you search the youtube videos of the MJX-X600, here is one done with night flight that looks to me that it was flown in FPV, and pretty good quality for night video:
    Unfortunately no mention of what camera was used.
    Scroll to the flight videos as he takes ages unboxing it and watch the day flight too and the speed that little thing can get up to

The FPV 4005 camera that came with mine, weighs next to nothing and has no effect on flight performance. The quality is OK but not great. No night video quality like in that Youtube link.

This camera might be a wee bit better and it also has recording to SD card, but I doubt the range is better:

Maybe Youtube reviews might help, although many are stupidly done in 480p so you can't see if it is really 720p.

Here the MJX-X600 with the C4008 camera:

I couldn't find an Aussie seller for that camera, though.

If camera quality is your main issue, you could consider the MJX-X600 without camera and invest in a better one. That hexacopter can definitely handle a decent payload.
    I velcroed a 1.4AH battery to it and it still took off like a rocket.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks

Nomeat, again thanks for the info and I am not really into cameras so I am not critical with what may come with a drone.
    To put it bluntly I am a piss poor photographer no matter what I use.
    Night flights are not high on my bucket list by any means and if it was, I think a person would need to be well versed in flying the Drone first and then look to photography, day or night.
    I thought all cameras recorded to a SD card anyway and Wifi is the 'next model up' as it were.

I did see in an advert for one copter of what it could lift, basically to indicate how powerful the motors were I think rather than anything else.