Thread: Windoze 10 networking issues

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Windoze 10 networking issues

All of my PCs at home are running windoze 10. All have been set up with file sharing on the network. My main file server is hardwired to the router as is Wife's PC. My lappy and desktop PC are both connected via Wifi along with phones etc. All works well until I restart a computer. Typically my lappy. Suddenly my file server disappears off the network. Wife's PC even cannot see it on occasion. Sometimes a screen refresh will fix it, other times, I must open the network and search for the computer and drill down through a million drives and folders to find the folder that should be accessible via shortcut on the desktop. File and print sharing is on and password protected sharing is off. All are connected to the same "private" network. Occasionally I must re-start the modem to get it all working as it should again. TODAY, however, I had to restart every PC on the network to update AVG and install any missing Windoze updates (on one machine only - not the file server). Everything came back up, except the file server. Stupid thing is, the File server can see the other PCs on the network and can log into those, including my laptop. My laptop, however can only see the other PCs and not the File server. I'm running around like a chook with it's head cut off. Any suggestions as to what I could try. Even the other hard wired PC cannot see the file server though, if I log onto the Router all machines show up in the DCHP table.

Just realised that the File Server cannot even see itself on the network!!!!!
    Last edited by lsemmens; 10-12-15 at 05:26 PM. Reason: More info:
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I'm a firm believer in using static IP addresses for ALL computers which are connected via a network, be it wired or wireless.

If you are worried about losing track of which IP addresses are assigned to particular computers, make a list and keep it close to (or under) the router.

Use "ping" from a command prompt to see whether particular computers can see and be seen by the router in use.

Make sure that anti-virus and anti-spyware/malware programs are not blocking network access. (This can sometimes occur when such programs are updated (or update themselves)).

Check to make sure that firewalls are not blocking access.

If in doubt, turn ALL such programs, including Windows Firewall and Windows Defender off.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I agree defender and firewalls are possibly an issue, however, the only update that has occurred on the lappy and file server has been AVG, disabling that on both machines has yielded nothing. Typically, security is my first suspect. All machines are running identical software - except, of course for drivers etc. and I can see some machines, but not the server.

Thanks

It's probably a browser war. Despite white Microsoft says Windows (even Windows 10) still makes use of NBT for name resolution and part of the overall suite involves the concept of a browse master - a PC that maintains a list of all SMB resources on the network. Every Windows PC by default can be a browse master so to determine which really is the PCs hold an election (no really) and the winner becomes the browse master. This normally goes in order of the most recent version of windows and then by PC name if there are multiple with the same OS build version. Like most elections things don't always work out the way one wants and two or more PCs can just decide that they are the browse master and start maintaining their own list, but since there are multiple masters PCs can end up registering with different browser masters and then you won't see all PCs on the network, you'll find that some shares aren't listed and all sorts of fun stuff.

If this is what's happening the answer is to set the computer browser service on all PCs bar say the 'server' machine to stopped and disabled then restart the server and then all the other PCs. Also check that the Windows Firewall is configured for home or work, not public.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (10-12-15)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I just turned the firewall on the server off and turned it back on again and the bloody thing suddenly decides, "Oh! Sh*t I'm part of a network, perhaps I'd better advertise myself!" All I did was turn it off and on. aaaaargh!!!!! $%$%$%^! Windoze. It might be about time I re-investigated Linux again.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Aaaaargh! Computer went to sleep overnight and now it's invisible again. Currently have all security (AVG, Firewall & Defender) turned off and it's still invisible!!!!!