Thread: Landing tips for a UAV

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Landing tips for a UAV

I am impatiently waiting for a SYMA X8W to arrive in the next few days and I have done more than a few views on Youtube on videos of this specific model but one thing none seem to show or advise on is how to land it which I think is quite important as the even the softest ground can be unforgiving to a bad landing.
    So any tips on ways to land it would be appreciated.

One thing I made a mistake with is the camera on this model doesnt record to an internal SD card, so when and if I get proficient with this UAV, thats something to think about later.
    One user replaced the inbuilt camera with a Wifi recorder type but I soon disregarded that as it cost $600 !!!
    I aint THAT interested in UAV photography.......
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Everything you will need to know is at

Just go thru the list of articles & videos on the right column & you will be an expert in no time.

EDIT; one tip of mine for learning is land on soft grassy area until you get good at it, soft grass is more forgiving than concrete or gravel, as when it tips over in a failed landing props get damaged by hard ground.
    If the grass is too long it will get tangled so mow a landing pad, the closer it is to level the better.
    Last edited by Tiny; 15-12-15 at 05:28 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    One thing I made a mistake with is the camera on this model doesnt record to an internal SD card, so when and if I get proficient with this UAV, thats something to think about later.
    One user replaced the inbuilt camera with a Wifi recorder type but I soon disregarded that as it cost $600 !!!
    I aint THAT interested in UAV photography.......
    Here is a good price (about AU$70 free shipping) for a good quality camera that records to SD card:
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (15-12-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Before you do try to fly high after your initial practice of take-off, hovering, turning & landing, please make sure you understand the following concepts from the Flight School.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (15-12-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

My yard is dying off at the moment as we havent had any rain for a few weeks and with the soil a heavy clay, it doesnt take long to get rock hard and kill off the grass.
    In a really good season, you raise mini dust storms as you walk around the yard until it rains and turns in mud........

Both of those video's were exactly what I was after as I had seen in one of this forum, comments about the danger of descending too rapidly and thats what I wanted to find more out about that problem.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 15-12-15 at 07:38 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!