Thread: A 'Boys Toy' warning for Xmas........

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default A 'Boys Toy' warning for Xmas........

We all know how we 'Boys' love our Toys and hundreds of hours have been recorded , much to every ones amusement of how these 'Toys' have come back to bite the user and this is just such a tale.

I posted recently I had purchased a UAV or Quadcopter and it duely arrived on Monday lunch time.
    I spent the next 3 hours charging the battery and slowly assembled all the parts, reading the manual as I went.
    Light to medium rain was falling during this time which is why I didnt rush during the assembly.
    Shortly after I finished, it also stopped raining so outside I trots and sets up the UAV on the concrete area ready to go.
    The first couple flights were erratic to say the least as I am trying to judge how much movement the joystick needed to just raise the UAV off the ground.
    The third try seemed better as it just lifted nicely and sort of hovered but almost in the blink of an eye, it came towards me very rapidly and struck me on the left shin bone midway between the ankle and the knee !!
    I was standing about 2 metres from where it was when it came towards me as I said almost in the blink of an eye.
    I was only wearing a pair of shorts so even though I had the 'prop guards' fitted, the blades caused a fine laceration of the skin and caused it to bleed.
    I have had worse cuts before and bled worse than this BUT just where the blades hit, I have fluid (Oedema) collected under the skin and it wept serum..........................

A Cold wet compress applied, a bit of Pepper over the wound soon stanched the almost negligible blood flow but not the discharge of the clear fluid from the Oedema, now that worried me..........
    Went to Casualty, they cleaned and had 'Super Glue' applied to the laceration as the skin is too fragile to suture, dressed and bandaged, Tetnus needle (stung more than when the blade cut the skin) and came back home.

I went and had the dressing changed today, Wound looks nice and clean and healing nicely so back next Tuesday for the next dressing.
    Taking my Antibiotic and LASIX (makes you piddle) ahh well, it could be worse.

I did try to fly the UAV yesterday and again clearly demonstrated my ineptness with the controls as it seemed to have a mind of its own going all over the place (little or no wind and before it crashed big time, rose over 40 feet to fly over the house to plummet to the ground into a heap of foliage on the outside of the neighbours fence.
    So far I have only broken one 'strut' on one propeller guard which I have attempted to glue together.

My next valiant attempt will be to go further up the yard where there is even more space and less worry if it crashes.

I have never flown anything, not even a kite so my advise is to first timers is get to an area as open as possible and well away from anyone as I can now understand clearly why many consider these a risk to the public.

MERRRRRY Xmas one and all.........................
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 24-12-15 at 02:47 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

enf (24-12-15),Godzilla (24-12-15),lsemmens (24-12-15),tristen (28-12-15),Uncle Fester (24-12-15)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post

I have never flown anything, not even a kite so my advise is to first timers is get to an area as open as possible and well away from anyone as I can now understand clearly why many consider these a risk to the public.

MERRRRRY Xmas one and all.........................
    My advice is buy a full face helmet and wrap a foam mattress around your body, then your good to go.

And a Merry Christmas to you too Gordon, sounds like your having too much fun.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (25-12-15),enf (24-12-15),jok11n (24-12-15)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I actually recommended him a nice safe little hexacopter with tiny motors that stop immediately when the props hit something and cause practically no damage and he goes and gets this flying circular saw with a 2000mA 7.4V lithium battery.
    Even if the battery has only 15C, that is about 220W or the power of a small mains operated power tool flying around.
    Those other toys you get usually have only 3.7V and 500mA and probably only 10C, so we would be looking at 18.5W of power.

Gordon, now you know(thanks to me ) what a dangerous weapon you have and considering you have not even flown a kite, might I suggest
    you start here

Merry Christmas to you ... and everybody else on the forum.

... and thanks for your courage to post your hazardous experience with these normally harmless little toys
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 24-12-15 at 04:51 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (24-12-15)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Hmmm... on further pondering, considering these things will be the most popular pressie this year under the tree and too many have had too much money to spend on Xmas this year(something around 100 billion I heard), half of that online of course for drones (often the more expensive ones), I am wondering how many will end up this year on the 25/26th in the emergency department, not only heavily drunk but also with deep lacerations !?
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 24-12-15 at 05:21 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

I think i heard somewhere that certain size drones may have to be registered ? is that still the case ?

Premium Member

Thanks

double post
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 25-12-15 at 05:02 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

According to the News, in the new year the USA will be requiring ALL UAV's to be registered for a $5 fee.

CASA has listed some restrictions already on the use of these UAV's but I believe so far only a UAV OVER 55 KILO'S must be registered and the 'PILOT' licensed to fly it !!!

But I have a feeling that anything that can fly over a certain distance from the operator (over 500 metres ?? ) needs some kind of approval.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    According to the News, in the new year the USA will be requiring ALL UAV's to be registered for a $5 fee.
    Once our councils/state governments get wind of this I am sure they will want to grab a fee too, but more like $10-20/year because we are in Australia.
    AFAIK you can not trust the internet, but I did remember reading somewhere 300g and 150m but where or how you are supposed to register I have no clue.
    I am quite certain about not being allowed to fly beyond line of sight (which would be about 150m with these smaller toys) and using solely FPV without special licensing/pilot registration.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

CASA Rules for 'hobby" use (ie. non-commercial use)

Complete overview for Remotely Piloted Aircraft:

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Drift (26-12-15),gordon_s1942 (26-12-15),Tiny (26-12-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Once our councils/state governments get wind of this I am sure they will want to grab a fee too, but more like $10-20/year because we are in Australia.
    AFAIK you can not trust the internet, but I did remember reading somewhere 300g and 150m but where or how you are supposed to register I have no clue.
    I am quite certain about not being allowed to fly beyond line of sight (which would be about 150m with these smaller toys) and using solely FPV without special licensing/pilot registration.
    Like you nomeat, I am sure some one will see an opportunity to either ban, restrict or want a fee for which they will do nothing for other to line their coffers in the not too distant future (probably as soon as XMAS dinner is digested).

SEVEN's 6pm Sydney News had a report on UAV's and showed one crashing into a Bridal Couple, another of one that crashed immediately behind a competitor on a 'Down Hill Slalom' competition and one fellow whose UAV lost power at a beach and tried to be a submarine.

It will be interesting to see over the next few days if the Media continues to follow up on any incidents or will it just die and be allowed to 'fade away' as most Fads do.

Banned

Thanks

On my second drone, the first was a 4 prop one and like Gordon had heaps of trouble getting used to it. When I finally got it sorted in a way, decided to fly it back to the house and show my neighbour my skills. Gave them a shout as we approached, with the thing wobbling all over the sky and landed it perfectly outside their door. Hadn't figured on the guarding potential of mine and her dog, when they saw it land pounced and flattened it beyond repair. My bloke is still young so had great pleasure in putting pieces in his mouth and prancing round the place daring me to try to take it off him, much to the laughter of my neighbour.

After talking to a bloke who has a couple of drones and uses them around his farm, like I want to do, he gave me a couple of hints. Get a 6 blade for easier use, which I did and put the drone a long way from you when learning, as this gives you lots of time to adjust things before disaster hits and you have a better view.

Put it down in the paddock about 25m away and soon had it working smoothly sort of, the 6 blades makes big difference for me. Tied the dogs up and introduced them to it. Now they take no notice and treat it like a chook or duck, the little bloke even goes and picks it up gentle to bring it back when I stuff it up. I use for keeping an eye on the horses and ducks on the dam, we have feral cats and since having the drone, have been able to track and get them.
    Last edited by spook; 26-12-15 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks

I now have 4 of the things thanks to a wonderful gift from SWMBO yesterday. 3 quads and one hex. The hex is by far the most stable of the lot and Id suggest the most safe to fly given the fail safes and GPS etc on board. It's also the biggest and heaviest weighing in at up to 3.5kg fully loaded depending on it's current configuration. The smallest, the one received yesterday as a gift, will fit in the palm of my hand and is actually quite safe to fly around inside the house (SWMBO may disagree following a small altercation).

There are a number of epic failures waiting to happen that I see repeated time and time again with new pilots. Firstly, they go out all guns blazing instead of taking it slow and steady often with no understanding of the flight controls or available flight modes their craft offers. They go out with winds far higher than their craft is suited to or they buy the cheapest Chinese crap they can with rubbish gyro stabalisation.

Over all though I think the biggest issue is the proliferation of these things to the masses as a cool must have toy rather than being left in the realms of the serious hobby pilots. My first 'drone' if you like was actually my biggest and looking back, I could have spent far less than I did and still been happy but you know, the whole biggest and best blah blah blah. To me, what it doesn't have on board isn't really worth having. Knowing the potential this thing had to seriously wreak havoc if something went wrong, I invested in a model flight sim and I must say it was the best money I spent when learning. Touch wood, the worst crash I've had resulted in two broken blades and that was my first time flying FPV (what a strange experience it was then). Aside from that, having amassed 958.27 motor hours, I've managed to avoid breaking anything. Fortunately I haven't had to make use of the on board fail safes either but it's good to know they're their. They also get tested at the start of every flight session just to make sure they're working if something did go wrong. Distance from home, return to home and land, loss of TX etc. All fantastic features to have but something most of the smaller consumer hobby type drones lack.

It's a heap of fun this hobby and I seriously hope we don't wind up with unnecessary restrictions as a result of the carelessness of a few muppets out there. Like most other things though, I suspect it's the way this will eventually go because the lowest common denominator just can't be trusted.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

Tiny (26-12-15)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

+1 for Drift.

& thanks to mtv for the CASA links they are very useful & sensible.ATM.

I have three multirotors & the biggest is actually the easiest to fly, however could do the most damage.

2 rotors or 10 doesn't matter for stabilization, it's the quality of the gyros, flight controller, ESC's, motors, props, overall balance & design of the aircraft that make the difference. Then for even more stability an Altimeter/GPS module that the FC (flight controller) can use for positioning.
    Quality costs more, however learning to fly is a double edged sword, do you spend more for ease of flight, yet risking more if it fly's away or self destructs or do you spend a little & be prepared for replacement & a learning curve with a sense of humour.

Gordon, this is an exercise in patience, humility, eye to hand coordination, imagination & the Humpdy Dumpty syndrome (after it crashes can it be put together again or do you accept defeat & buy another).

My little Hubsan X4 (little quad - one prop on my Tali is bigger), I fly inside on rainy days for practice if the wife isn't home, lot's of fun & has been glued once, gets caught up in the cobwebs that I have missed with the cob web broom.

I have crashed my 250 size quad, several times without breakage, yet twice in a row I got taken out of the air by Plovers & had to rebuild. ~$50 in parts both times plus an hours labour each time. Luckily it was my labour time & not the Local Hobby Shop (LHS) as I don't have one, so freight would add to the cost.
    Put the tali up on same day & the Plovers wouldn't go near it, would have turned them to feather dusters.

I have also in my early days with the big Hexacopter (Tali H500), lost orientation/vision & glad for the fail-safes, Return to Home saved me big time twice, yet it's been a year since then & haven't needed to use it.

Another thing is that the bigger & heavier the multirotor the easier it is to get into trouble with descents & landings, yet the smaller have more trouble with wind strength, that's why I fly my little one inside; as outside it gets caught in wind drift far too easily & in the mountains where I live the still day can have sudden breezes faster than my little quad can fly.

BTW; crashing is part of the hobby, I have flown RC fixed wing fuelled aircraft since 1975 & they crash/land just as well as the latest breed.
    Balsa wood & doped/lacquered tissue paper is really fragile.
    The plastics in my drones are easy to glue, the carbon fibre main boards are not & have to be replaced, props are cheap -always have a spare set or more & some people think I'm a good pilot, yet hey we all make mistakes.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Drift (26-12-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

My Son flew the UAV on Xmas day while we were out and said he had 'moderate' success (only broke the already damaged propeller guard in 2 places) so as its fine and calm today, I plan to 'go up the yard' to the most open spot and try (camera connected) and do some take off's and landings.
    I would be happier if there was a way of limiting its flight height (between 3~5 metres) then do your 'moves' NOT stunts to get familiar and more dexterous with the joysticks.
    Tiny, while I would love to zoom hither and yon over hill and dale, that aint gunna happen anytime soon so I intend to do lots of 'Baby Steps' first.
    I bought 2 extra batteries with that just that premise in mind so I could 'Practise,Practise,Practise!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    2 rotors or 10 doesn't matter for stabilization...
    ... but it does!
    Have you ever tried to sit on a chair with two legs?
    In fact you won't find an office chair these days that has less than 5 castor arms.
    Not only does a hex sit more stable in the air because it has more "legs", you can get away with a cheaper gyro and power control system.
    The more motors the less thrust each individual motor requires for the same performance.
    That means smaller motors and smaller props -> less inertia -> faster response time for the props to reach a desired rotational speed
    -> aircraft responds quicker with less overshoot -> more stable flight and less lag (more responsive) to you control input, which is better for beginners

I have a little MJX-X600 hex that I highly recommend for anybody who hasn't flown anything before.
    The tiny core less motors and small props have so little inertia that I only feel a tickle if I hold a running prop against my shin bone
    before it stops almost instantly. I don't see how a prop could even break (unless a crash at very high speed) but it comes with 6 spares. Many parts, including motors, cog wheels and receiver PCB are available on Fleabay and all is pluggable.
    Despite being so cheap and light, it has quite a high power to weight ratio and if you scroll to the flight tests(13:50) in this video:

you will see it can be just as much fun and fast as more expensive units.

The remote has three control level settings to suit beginners(very tame) or more advanced pilots plus an adjustable power(speed) limit dial.
    The last 'professional' setting is so touchy that it flips in all directions if you are not careful.
    Unless you really have to fly inside (the props could still make marks on the wall paint) I would not use the prop guards
    as they constantly get tangled in trees and shrubs.

It also performs very well in rather strong wind and I really like practicing to hold it as still as possible in windy conditions.
    Being so nimble and accurate in following the control input it is solely up to the finger tips of the pilot to manage that.

BTW I had the same drift to the right issue as the reviewer did before one minute of flight time, but a short adjustment with the trim button fixes that and it stays stable. Seems the gyro needs to warm up.
    Otherwise I am very happy and have lots of fun with this and have no need to buy anything more expensive.
    I think I already had the 'knack' after 30mins but you always tend to do more risky things when you get better at it, so I am always learning.
    Flying a perfect figure 8 with the head always forwards (not using the headless mode) is still not quite a pass yet

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

... but it does!
    Have you ever tried to sit on a chair with two legs?
    In fact you won't find an office chair these days that has less than 5 castor arms.
    Not only does a hex sit more stable in the air because it has more "legs", you can get away with a cheaper gyro and power control system.
    The more motors the less thrust each individual motor requires for the same performance.
    That means smaller motors and smaller props -> less inertia -> faster response time for the props to reach a desired rotational speed
    -> aircraft responds quicker with less overshoot -> more stable flight and less lag (more responsive) to you control input, which is better for beginners
    Thankfully we aren't flying office chairs.

See the following; only 2 rotors!!

For the beginner. Simple exercises to help learn to fly multirotor craft.
    Notice it only has 3 rotors!!
    Not sure about the big arrow though.

I think I already had the 'knack' after 30mins but you always tend to do more risky things when you get better at it, so I am always learning.
    Flying a perfect figure 8 with the head always forwards (not using the headless mode) is still not quite a pass yet
    Err, Ummm, you had the knack after 30 mins yet you still can't fly a good figure 8??
    Follow the instructions in the above video & you should improve.
    Last edited by Tiny; 28-12-15 at 06:16 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Premium Member

Thanks

In nothing I read prior to buying what I have mentioned anything about the motors used in these UAV's, whether they were coreless or otherwise and how each type works except a claim in the manual of this model that there is 'an overload circuit' that cuts the power once the blades are forcibly stopped from spinning.
    I have the marks to prove that this doesnt work when the blades are 'skimming' a surface as this did for what seemed like minutes (more like 5 seconds if that)
    Even if it did stop on first contact, it has MASS by its area and the speed its spinning at and if it encounters a soft enough area, it will disperse that energy into the contact area.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Gordon, maybe you need the drone from the first video; it cannot hurt you.
    Or have a look at the second video & the other links I've posted in your other threads to & learn to fly.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Thankfully we aren't flying office chairs.

See the following; only 2 rotors!!

LOL, it is bumping all over the place.
    Good example how unstable two rotors actually are. But I get the gist, find you way by safely bumping into everything.

I had a (OK, way too cheap) dual rotor heli that I could never really handle.
    Only indoors where there was not the slighest wind and even then when it got too close to the wall it literally sucked itself against the wall
    and crashed. Had no fun with that and gave up.

For the beginner. Simple exercises to help learn to fly multirotor craft.
    Notice it only has 3 rotors!!
    Not sure about the big arrow though.

Err, Ummm, you had the knack after 30 mins yet you still can't fly a good figure 8??
    Follow the instructions in the above video & you should improve.
    Sure with a big arrow like that it should be much easier to see where the head is pointing for figure flying.
    I don't have much space in my yard and rarely get to a park for learning those skills in the video but I can fly of course an eight in the yard (forwards backwards type, LOL), just not with the yaw or rudder as they call it..
    When I said the knack, I meant hovering on the spot and managing light winds and not crashing. With the above mentioned very stable hexacopter it is easy and now I find it fun to fly.
    That was actually the whole point of my post to recommend something for beginners without struggling like Gordon seems to be.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-12-15 at 07:46 PM.