Thread: Scanning Software problems - recommendations.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Scanning Software problems - recommendations.

I have two printers connected to my PC. A Brother Fax 9220 which I use for printing and a Brother DCP385 which I use predominantly as a scanner. In the last week the Brother Creative Centre software has decided it does not want to play nicely with Windoze 10. It starts, loads into memory, and then displays a white outline on the screen where the controls should be. It would not give me the option to repair it, uninstall, or re-install. I decided to bite the bullet and perform a clean install of windoze and try again with exactly the same results. Of course, I need the scanner so cannot afford to be without it for too long.

Given that I could not be bothered stuffing around with it, can anyone suggest a good alternative to the Brother software? Freeware would be great.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I would be raising the problem with both Brother Industries at and Microsoft at .

Perhaps Brother offer an upgrade to Windows 10 for the product you are using?

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Tiny (06-01-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

+1 for tristen's advice, there is probably already a patch for the software to integrate with W10, my Canon printer scanner needed updated software to cope with W8 & Canon had it available on their website very quickly.
    My Canon Printer Scanner has not had an issue with W10, all the software running good.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

LSemmens
    Thanks

It was working with Windoze 10 early in the piece. The brother site does not appear to have any suggestions, and I did download the latest software pack. Rather than stuffing around with Mickeysoft and Brother, I was looking for a good third party alternative.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Thank you, Tristen, although your links did not directly supply an answer it did allow me to find a solution. My google searches turned up nothing. The problem, apparently, has to do with the "ModernStyle" - which seems to be the default skin and incompatibilities with Adobe Flash. My solution was found "Changed registry key

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Brother\ControlCenter\3.0\Common\Con fig\SelectedSkin

from "ModernStyle" to "ClassicStyle"

and got the "classic" interface. the key point is to have CC3 stopped because it will restore the skin to modern before exiting." - Just to make sure I also went to "Program Files" "Brother" "DCP385C" "Skins" and deleted the "ModernStyle". Now, all is good!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Tiny (07-01-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Good for you, lsemmens!

I have found over many years that persistence does pay in the long run, although sometimes pursuing a different solution is the quicker way around a problem.

I have always been a stubborn fellow and resent a machine (or software) getting the better of me, so I am generally prepared to invest the time, frustrating though it might be, to find the "real" solution.

I'm glad that you persevered and got to the bottom of the problem.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (08-01-16),Tiny (07-01-16)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I generally don't believe in wasting too much time on making a dumb box do what it's told. If I know it is capable of it, then the solution is usually to be found by asking the right questions. If software is badly written, and there is a better option available, I'll not persevere, of course if it's the only option, then I'll find a way to make it work. In this case, I had it working, so I knew that it was capable of working, but now it wasn't. Given that I'd not intentionally changed anything (this machine mainly acts as a print server) I guessed that there must have been some security patch that stuffed it. In the long run, I've found it's often quicker to perform a complete system re-load than to try and guess which bit of software might have caused the issue. At least, that way, I have a stable base line to start with.