Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Falcon FG XR6

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default Ford Falcon FG XR6

These seem like a nice car that's well appointed. Peoples thoughts?

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

The 6 speed auto is a massive improvement over the 4 speed auto.

I have 2 BA fords, one XR6 and a Fairmont Ghia.

All im going to say is get the leather and sunroof, our Ghia is so loaded compared to the XR, the XR is just a base model with a body kit.

I think the FG XR6 is much more loaded with goodies compared to the BA XR6, much closer to the BA Ghia options from what ive seen.

Have a read in the link below for the brutal truth.

Thanks

The XR 50th have leather, dual climate control intergrated with flash color stereo blue tooth, flash 18in wheels, cruise, 6sp auto seems nice so catching up to the GE.
    Just deciding if to go into hock for one as the VT is 260k km today :O

That thread is over 100 pages long! You'd almost not buy one with some of the problems!!

Leroy
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 31-01-11 at 08:54 PM.
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Well, your the guy that wants to buy an Aussie car, did you think it was going to be fault free. LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Well, your the guy that wants to buy an Aussie car, did you think it was going to be fault free. LOL
    What do you buy then for a family? Don't say Aurion as they are a bit of an old mans car but they do go and handle well.

Leroy

Thanks

Ah, but i dont complain when something goes wrong with my Aussie crap, i shut up, get under it and fix it.

I know what rubbish i bought, i know what problems to expect, and above all i know how to fix them as they appear.

Why Ford? Because my wife and son likes them, personally i was eyeballing a Statesman but my wife wanted something a little easier to park after the Ford EA wagon.

As in Sanitys thread, "which is the lesser evil?"

Edit; what wrong with the Aurion apart from being FWD? (which is another reason i bought Aussie)
    Last edited by Godzilla; 31-01-11 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks

The Aurion was fine even with the fwd it is ok but I want something that's a bit tougher lol

Thanks

Ok, lets talk Fords.

Lets talk BA which is what i know.

The 4 speed trannies struggle to survive over 180,000Km without servicing. Ford removed the dip stick and called them a sealed unit.

The radiators tranny coolers fail and mix radiator water in with the tranny fluid, destroying the transmissions. A aftermarket external oil cooler is the fix.

The heater control flaps are made of plastic and snap. To fix it you need to pull the whole dash out. What a fun job that was.

The front factory disc rotors are known to warp. Im making a killing selling aftermarket disc rotors to Ford B series owners. Thank you Ford.

The catalytic converters tend to crack and fail after 120,000 Km, not cheap, a customer called today telling me a exhaust shop quoted him $650 to undo 4 bolts and fit one that i sell for $274.... Im told the Ford factory one is big bucks.

Rear hand brakes tend to run out of adjustment, the design of the system is stupid, you need to know how to adjust them and its a bit of mucking around.

The rear diff cradle bushes crack and give a nice thumping sound. You need at least $1K to solve that one, enjoy dropping the rear subframe if you want to DIY and save a few $.

The steering racks are known to move on the front cross arm, this gives a nice thump and creak when turning the steering wheel, good news it can be fixed.

Do you want me to go on? I could but my fingers are sore typing. LOL

Get the Toyota....im not kidding you. (unless you enjoy spending your weekends fixing what the Ford factory buggered up)
    Last edited by Godzilla; 31-01-11 at 10:46 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

Mgoldbe1 (01-02-11),Tradesman (01-02-11)

Thanks

I was expecting to have as good a run with an XR6 as the VT!

....Leroy

Thanks

Im sure the VE also has a long list of faults, i dont have one to point out the truth and most people will swear black and blue that their Aussie 6 was the best ever made.

A google should reveal Holdens problems.

I have a 2002 4Cly Camry here with 270000 Km, one rear stabilized D bush failed a few month ago ($20) and the radiator plastic tank split.

Other wise just plain Jane oil change services, pads, the odd timing belt and thats it.

No other faults, no bull dust.

Thanks

thats a shame about the BA . so many of them around too i like the shape. thought about one but bought a 02 Pajero for a little more money.

Thanks

GZ has summarised very well just about every problem with the BA onwards...wow!

Buy either a Falcon, Commodore or Camry - Yes they will have problems, but they are well documented, reasonably easy to fix and parts are cheap if you know where to look.

My BA is all good (apart from steering shudder and brake shudder ofcourse ! - but easy fixes ages ago) ...and probably a diff bush one day with the way I drive...!

GZ, keen on a Stato hey? If you get one please lower it to the bump stops with max rear neg camber, Big Chev badge and constant Duf Duf...that way it won't stand out from the other Statemans on the road...(!)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mgoldbe1 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (01-02-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I'd have the Aurion over the Falcon or Commodore.

Thanks

I'd have an old Cressida with a 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZ conversion over anything you can buy new, last of the rear wheel drive Jap family cars, and still the best in my opinion

you could pick one up for about $10k, they have all the luxury under the sun, and would make mince out of an XR6! that leaves you with about $20k to fix any problems it may have, and maintain it for for 5 years.

just sayin is all

Last edited by hillbilly; 01-02-11 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks

Its not about mincing, Hillbilly, its about a stock factory late/new car that is reliable mate.

Thanks

Its not about mincing, Hillbilly, its about a stock factory late/new car that is reliable mate.

bah! No imagination!

should probably be asking what you want to use the car for, you already mentioned family car, but will you be doing much towing? short trips? Long trips?

if you want a new family car (god know why) that wont be towing or doing long trips I would be looking at the other thread Accord Euro.

if you need to do long trips, Nissan Maxima for comfort, Toyota Aurion for handling and go pedal.

if you want to tow any old Falcon will do

Thanks

Ok, lets talk Fords.

Lets talk BA which is what i know.

The 4 speed trannies struggle to survive over 180,000Km without servicing. Ford removed the dip stick and called them a sealed unit.

The radiators tranny coolers fail and mix radiator water in with the tranny fluid, destroying the transmissions. A aftermarket external oil cooler is the fix.

The heater control flaps are made of plastic and snap. To fix it you need to pull the whole dash out. What a fun job that was.

The front factory disc rotors are known to warp. Im making a killing selling aftermarket disc rotors to Ford B series owners. Thank you Ford.

The catalytic converters tend to crack and fail after 120,000 Km, not cheap, a customer called today telling me a exhaust shop quoted him $650 to undo 4 bolts and fit one that i sell for $274.... Im told the Ford factory one is big bucks.

Rear hand brakes tend to run out of adjustment, the design of the system is stupid, you need to know how to adjust them and its a bit of mucking around.

The rear diff cradle bushes crack and give a nice thumping sound. You need at least $1K to solve that one, enjoy dropping the rear subframe if you want to DIY and save a few $.

The steering racks are known to move on the front cross arm, this gives a nice thump and creak when turning the steering wheel, good news it can be fixed.

Do you want me to go on? I could but my fingers are sore typing. LOL

Get the Toyota....im not kidding you. (unless you enjoy spending your weekends fixing what the Ford factory buggered up)
    cant say ive seen all the above but not saying its not true either.
    what i can say is the heater control rods are now supplied as a metal rod not plastic like they used to be.
    the diff bushes are common as well on territory
    cat converter over $1000
    have you had the power steering hose leak at the connector near the pump yet?

Thanks

Shyite, maybe we should just tell Leroy to buy anything with a Jap brand name, problems solved.

Thanks

Power steering pumps are not leaking let (touch wood).

The shafts for the heater were upgraded to a metal rod with plastic molded over it, unfortunately they stopped the rod just before the gear connector and they continued to snap there, then they revised the rod to go all the way to the end.

I was under both the Fords servicing the transmissions and noted the tail shafts were not painted and looked terribly rusted. They were so into cost cutting that a bare steel tailshaft did not get painted....what you dont see wont hurt you.

If you notice when you open the bonnet to look at the engine, take note of the engine bay color. Yep they even cut back on spraying the engine bay in the outside color on some models.

One color, a blue from memory was known as being faulty from new, Ford painted this particular color so thinly that most cars needed a respray.

Also i noted a few undercar seams on both cars have signs of rust forming.

Electric windows are known to get sticky and hard to operate or just dont.

Thanks

Family car that's used for short and long trips and able to tow a big tinnie and sit on 110km/h easily. Ford dealer sold the car I was looking at but there's heaps out there. After all the reading they still seem fine cars and no worse than others. Territory's seem to have a few more issues. Parents have a 2001 falcom and 2001xr6 ute with almost 200km's and 170km's respectively and no real issues during their time.

Leroy

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast