Thread: Vast decoder problem

Thanks

Default Vast decoder problem

Gday all
    Ive got an Altech vast decoder that up until this morning was working fine,Turned on the decoder and it booted up,scanned the channels and was fine for 10 minutes and then the tv screen went dark with a no signal sign.
    Unplugged then plugged the decoder back in it rebooted.scanned and then worked for about 2 minutes then blank screen again!
    Now it trys to boot up and only gets as far as displaying boot on the screen and it freezes at this point
    Any fixs or ideas would be greatfully accepted
    Cheers Andy
    Last edited by andyk; 30-06-12 at 12:23 AM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Basic decoder fault finding.

Quote Originally Posted by andyk View Post
    Gday all
    Ive got an Altech vast decoder that up until this morning was working fine,Turned on the decoder and it booted up,scanned the channels and was fine for 10 minutes and then the tv screen went dark with a no signal sign.
    Unplugged then plugged the decoder back in it rebooted.scanned and then worked for about 2 minutes then blank screen again!
    Now it trys to boot up and only gets as far as displaying boot on the screen and it freezes at this point
    Any fixs or ideas would be greatfully accepted
    Cheers Andy

G'Day Andy.
    Sounds like a power supply problem.
    Turn unit OFF and disconnect the input dish lead.
    Measure the Voltage there at switch ON. either 18V or 13V
    If stable for some time, repeat at the Dish LNB.
    That should determine whether a shorted cable/ faulty LNB, or if the fault is in the decoder itself.
    Also try the Menu on the TV itself to make sure it is OK.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

andyk (01-07-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

Its either a problem with the Vast STB, or a problem with your Dish Setup....

"No Signal" message could point to a LNB issue or Dish or LNB Alignment issue, or a STB issue...

...or a power supply problem ?

Can you try the Vast STB on another (known-working) satellite Dish setup ? like an Austar or Foxtel aligned dish (friend or family may have one) to confirm if the Vast STB is working or Not....

or, Can you try another STB on your Satellite Dish setup (where you are using for the Vast STB) (maybe another Vast STB or non Vast STB) To confirm that the Dish Setup is working...

If you get the vast STB to work again check the Signal Strength & Signal Quality readings...& report back

I also wonder if it's trying to do a Firmware (Software Update).... & not succeeding ?

If you get it going again, check if the DSD Upgrade option in the advanced menu, is blue in colour (& selectable) or greyed out....

Is the STB still under warranty......

cheers
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 30-06-12 at 11:45 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

andyk (01-07-12)

Thanks

It sounds like power supply they are famous for it
    Worked on a boat recently that had 4 we had to keep going from shore to on board power and didn't even think about the uec heaps of shit that he had but by the time I had finished 3 out of the 4 boxes had shit themselves and I had a pissed customer about it (even more pissed as I found the whole thing very amusing )he didn't see the funny side even after I explained they are the biggest heap of shit invented and that they were famous for it and they were still under warranty and to send them back get new ones and hope they shit themselves again before the warranty runs out.

Some people just can't see the funny side of things

• The Following User Says Thank You to aaeon.1 For This Useful Post:

andyk (01-07-12)

Thanks

Default vast decoder problem

Gday guys and thanks for the replies

Druid I did as you said and measured the voltage at the input dish lead and was 0.03-0.05V(Im assuming this is not good),the Tv is working fine as I rescaned the analogue stations and got 3 stations to watch (which suprised me as I thought this signal was turned off on 6/12/2011in central qld)

OSIRUS I updated the software/firmware last month and all was well till yesterday morning.I was actually watching tv when it died and nothing had changed with the dish alignment and lnb scew settings(it was displaying a signal quality of 70-75 prior to it dying)I possibly could try another stb later in the week but after measuring the voltage I am starting to think the problem is with the stb,what do you guys think. I have tryed a new lnb but no difference. Yes the stb is still under waranty (its only 9 months old)

Aaeon.1 I do run this stb on a puresine wave inverter with solar and batteries in a remote situation and so do power it on and off daily as when in use -would this create any problems? Are these stb as bad and unreliable as you say(have i bought a lemon and is there an alternative yet ?)

Regards Andy

• The Following User Says Thank You to andyk For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (30-06-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by andyk View Post
    Gday guys and thanks for the replies

Druid I did as you said and measured the voltage at the input dish lead and was 0.03-0.05V(Im assuming this is not good),the Tv is working fine as I rescaned the analogue stations and got 3 stations to watch (which suprised me as I thought this signal was turned off on 6/12/2011in central qld)

OSIRUS I updated the software/firmware last month and all was well till yesterday morning.I was actually watching tv when it died and nothing had changed with the dish alignment and lnb scew settings(it was displaying a signal quality of 70-75 prior to it dying)I possibly could try another stb later in the week but after measuring the voltage I am starting to think the problem is with the stb,what do you guys think. I have tryed a new lnb but no difference. Yes the stb is still under waranty (its only 9 months old)

Aaeon.1 I do run this stb on a puresine wave inverter with solar and batteries in a remote situation and so do power it on and off daily as when in use -would this create any problems? Are these stb as bad and unreliable as you say(have i bought a lemon and is there an alternative yet ?)

Regards Andy

Well Andy, If that is the voltage at the vast box F6 connector without the cable connected, then you most certainly have a faulty Power Supply.
    You could double check that if another decoder works OK. Any will do.
    Then chase up warranty. I doubt that normal ON/OFF would be the cause.

Last edited by beer4life; 30-06-12 at 05:01 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

andyk (01-07-12)

Thanks

You would have only lost analogue if u live in the coastal regions. If you channels include Imparja and Southern Cross Television, then you'll still have analogue for a little while yet as you are in a remote region.

• The Following User Says Thank You to nbound For This Useful Post:

andyk (01-07-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Definitiely sounds like a power supply issue.

Based on others I've seen (including my own) and heard of, it's likely to stop functioning altogether.

Hopefully, it's still under warranty.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

andyk (01-07-12)

Thanks

Yes mate you bought a lemon anything to do with uec is a lemon IMO
    And no there is no alternative as the heap of shit makers conned someone in politics that they had the only stb and software that could do the job and that's what we got
    Pretty third world isnt It

• The Following User Says Thank You to aaeon.1 For This Useful Post:

andyk (01-07-12)

Thanks

Default vast decoder problem

Gday all and thank you to all contributors your input is much appreciated (what a great forum)
    Looks like a phone call to Altech on monday and a trip back to Sydney for my stb on a warranty claim.(Hopefully it wont take weeks)

nbound yes I get southern cross,imparja and sbs(better than nothing hey)

aaeon.1 mate your dead right it is very third world(bl---y govt)

Once again thanks to all

Cheers Andy