Thread: Optus/SMTP issue

Thanks

Default Optus/SMTP issue

Hi, i have email account with optus. If i connect to my optus server and open outlook i can send and receive email no problem. If i connect at my friends house wirelessly to his ISP who is not optus i can not send emails but i can receive them. I am using outlook 2007. Been reading abot the port 25 and other stuff on the net and i spent 35 with some non english speaking person in india who could not help. I have other accounts i use through outlook and they all work ok. they have different SMTP . Does anyone know if it is just optus or what settings i can use to send email from my optus account in outlook whilst connected to a telstra or other network provider.

Guy onthe phone told me to just use webmail. Helpdesk at optus is just to pathetic.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

open outlook.

go to tools/account settings/ and double click on account

make sure incoming and outgoing server settings are correct .

click on 'more settings'/outgoing server

make sure 'my outgoing mail server (smtp) requires authentication' is ticked.

you may need to click on 'log on using' and enter your account and password and tick remember password, but normally the default setting of 'use same settings as my incoming mail server works fine'

Thanks

To send email from an ISP that is not yours, you need to put in other ISP SMTP setting and not optus into outlook for the outgoing mail. The incoming mail POP3 still needs to be optus.

Thanks

Sometimes providers will also run an alternate port for those who need to be able to send while on the move due to a lot of providers blocking port 25 on their networks. Check and see if they have an alternate port number, otherwise you will have to use the local providers outgoing server as mel421 has stated.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

Optusnet generally block following ports ...

25 SMTP

80 HTTP

161 SNMP

162 SNMP

667 IRC

445 RPC

A user can unblock port 25 by contacting support. My experience is that if you get a *foreigner* hang up promptly and retry till you get someone you feel you can communicate with. This self service link used to allow you to unblock it but it seems to have been broken since they decided to screw around with the user account website....

Thanks

Default Optus/SMTP issue

In case using diff ISP check this link out

Thanks

nobody has actually answered the question or even gotten close to answering the question, some have actually been cheeky enough to slag off non-native English speakers. Probably the ones who built your country with their sweat and blood.

The correct settings as listed in the Optus website are for setting up a POP3 mail account in Outlook express (a bit dated) Thunderbird cannot find the settings in it's database either. This seems to be a pretty poor mail client and perhaps a reason to go with Gmail?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by padraic View Post
    nobody has actually answered the question or even gotten close to answering the question ...
    I don't usually take people to task for their comments, but in this case, I feel that your criticisms need to be addressed. In short, I feel that they are unwarranted.

Let me explain what I mean .....

Those who have responded to the OP's question have offered good advice, in particular the references to accessing an Optus e-mail account through a non-Optus providor's facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by padraic
    ...... some have actually been cheeky enough to slag off non-native English speakers. Probably the ones who built your country with their sweat and blood.
    Most people would not seriously consider any of the references to "foreigners" as being offensive, particularly in the context of this thread.

I deal extensively with people whose first language is not English, and I usually manage to understand what they are saying, often despite a heavy accent. Having said that, I occasionally have difficulty communicating with some people, due to a non-English accent. This includes staff working in call centres. It is this, I suspect, to which some posters refer.

Surely, it is stretching the imagination to suggest that this is "slag(ging) off non-native English speakers".

And yes, I agree, many migrants have contributed greatly to the development of this country (and many others) through diligence and hard work. That is not in dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by padraic
    The correct settings as listed in the Optus website are for setting up a POP3 mail account in Outlook express (a bit dated) Thunderbird cannot find the settings in it's database either. This seems to be a pretty poor mail client and perhaps a reason to go with Gmail?
    Outlook Express and Thunderbird are both good and efficient e-mail clients.
    As you state, Outlook Express has been around for a long time, but age does not necessarily detract from efficient functionality. In any case, the OP is using Outlook 2007.

All e-mail clients require that correct SMTP, Pop3 and other settings are entered correctly if they are to work properly.

I suggest that the OP make use of Optus' webmail facility. It is for precisely such circumstances that webmail was developed
    Last edited by tristen; 18-05-12 at 11:59 AM.