Thread: PlayOn VS. XBMC + Navi-x

Thanks

Default PlayOn VS. XBMC + Navi-x

I'm considering the purchase of PlayOn Lifetime currently $49.99. Looking for your 2c

I have installed PlayOn to a 24/7 PC and am receiving all GREEN eg bandwidth High (I'm on 1.4mb/s down adsl2 over VPN west-coast USA), CPU Max all good, etc. I've fired up the Xbox360 in the living room (hooked to primary TV) and can see the server, browse the PlayOn channels, etc. Good! Everything is playing nicely. Now, the install is unlicensed and unfortunately PlayOn no longer offer a trial or monthly subscription model which means I'm unable to test streams in the wild, though I expect it to work well based on the all GREEN system check. I can, however, see the folders/channels and content.

I would have expected more full episodes eg Kids channel say PBS Kids - and only maybe 6 full episodes to choose from, specific to a show. I don't expect the world for free, but did expect some additional content value in licensing PlayOn.

To contrast, I run XBMC with Navi-x plugin on a bedroom PC/TV and appear to be seeing nearly identical content eg PBS Kids, Comedy Central (whatever you can stream from their sites), and more.

So, I'm wondering where the value is in licensing PlayOn for $49.99 - when I can seemingly get the same content using XBMC+Navi-x. Is this the case? Mind you, PlayOn being served to the Xbox360 is nice in the sense that it's "Done" and (guessing) working - but at $49.99 I can easily build a Raspberri Pi, use a default remote from our Android phones or ipad, have a hell of a lot nicer interface using XBMC, etc.

Am I missing something here?

Having a 1 time $50 model is a bit weird - it's making me think dedicated streaming box ala Boxee or Roku 3@ $99 or Pi at comparable $50 (inclusive of SD+ MPEG-2 license key).

Eventually, I plan to subscribe to live streaming US channels using services like USTV Now . Can live streaming/ decent content be achieved using PlayOn and custom user scripts like Basic Cable - or Superusvox (donation) ?

Quite a few questions in there.. happy for observations or feedback of any sort.
    Cheers

2. The Following User Says Thank You to th37sk For This Useful Post:

allover (04-06-13)

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

They both offer very similar content though Playon does support Netflix not sure that XBMC does. USTVnow is available on XBMC not Playon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pheggie View Post
    Playon does support Netflix not sure that XBMC does.
    Thanks pheggie. XBMC does support Netflix via add-ons like XBMC Flicks few of them out there. While I've never tried these, interestingly I've read it's recommended to have PlayOn feed XBMC for Netflix, Hulu etc. for better usage and functionality . So PlayOn is definitely doing something right in regard to the big boys eg popular services like Netflix.

I've realised PlayOn is awfully similar to Plex - which I'm already using around the house to stream music to various devices. It's free, but the apps (various devices) cost around $5. It hadn't dawned on me to check if they offer media streaming channels and sure enough, they do! While there's not a complete list published to the net, someone has posted a clip from last December of channel browse from within the installed server: forum: and unsupported plugins ala custom scripts for channels like SBS OnDemand, RedTube (pron), etc.

So again, very similar to PlayOn but at a fraction of the cost should you purchase apps for devices.. totally free if you wanted to serve up content to an Xbox360, for example (which I've tested and working fine).

Which brings me back to purchasing PlayOn - is anyone using Live TV scripts like Superusvox and can confirm live content is (generally) working? I do fully understand Internet TV as being 'on demand' and not streaming ala fuxtel - wanting more of a streaming experience. Several available in Navi-x. Might have a root around for Superusvox under Xbmc. Will report back.
    Last edited by th37sk; 06-06-13 at 12:33 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

After your post i went into Playon scripts and down loaded the Movies package for free (so far) to my playon and watched several movies last night that were 2012 movies, The Dictator was one, didnt catch the other, all was working fine
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

XBMC will use any uPnP device i.e. playon to re-stream the content, but it is another unnecessary link in the chain IMHO.
    It is a hobby so mileage varies
    Loving IPTV with XBMC and android M8
    Join in the XBMCHUB community and visit me at http://tvaddons.ag/

• The Following User Says Thank You to jonc For This Useful Post:

th37sk (14-06-13)