Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBN Modem

Thanks

Default NBN Modem

I guess I'll have to get myself a modem to go with the NBN.
    So who's got the best one ? and what brand / model is it ?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I should add :
    My home is 2 story, and my current modem is cable connected to my office computer, downstairs at one end of the house, and I need a good strong wifi signal to service other laptops throughout my home including upstairs and the shed down the back yard.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Are you sure you need a modem?
    If you have fibre to the premises the box installed inside is your modem - you should only need a new wifi router if you want longer distance.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (19-06-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    Are you sure you need a modem?
    If you have fibre to the premises the box installed inside is your modem - you should only need a new wifi router if you want longer distance.

the box installed inside is your modem - really ? ... well they didn't tell me that. I'm glad you did. Thanks for that.
    The fibre and an outside box was installed a couple of months ago but nothing inside yet. Still deciding whether to stay with Exetel or not.

So ok I guess the original question now changes to what's the best router ? or can my old modem/router be use as a router only ?
    Last edited by loopyloo; 19-06-15 at 03:29 PM.

Administrator

Thanks

The inside box gets installed when you arrange connection.
    My daughter just rang Exetel to arrange connection, they said 10~14 days - she didn't have a box installed inside the house either and Exetel told her she only needed a wifi router.

loopyloo (19-06-15)

Administrator

Thanks

Here's some info that may help.

loopyloo (19-06-15)

Thanks

Here's some info that may help.
    Excellent thanks

Premium Member

Thanks

That's not entirely correct especially with Exetel.

You'll need a modem/router that can do PPPOE as that's how Exetel authenticate your connection, otherwise a router would have been sufficient. I've installed heaps of these They can also do VOIP as well making them great value.

If you are worried about wireless distance these work great You can mirror your wireless network throughout the entire house using these.

If you haven't had the installation done yet, don't let the lazy bastards install it in your garage. They'll tell you that you don't want this hideous thing in your home because normally the garage is an easier install for them. Just think as the box (NTD) as being the central hub of all communications in your house for the future.
    Last edited by warbo; 21-06-15 at 09:02 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warbo For This Useful Post:

billy t (28-06-15),WhiteOx (22-06-15)

Administrator

Thanks

So does that mean your old modem/router will work as long as it can do PPPOE, is that correct?

Exetel told my daughter she needed a router with a WAN port.

Premium Member

Thanks

With some modems like the Billion 7404vgpx you can programme one of the LAN ports to be a WAN port. The problems are that there are only a limited amount of ADSL modems that you can do that to, but the main problem is that the maximum throughput of the WAN port will only be about 40mbps which is no good if you go on an NBN 100mbps plan.

Exetel are right in saying you need a router with a WAN port. They just should have added that it needs to do PPPOE as a fair few routers don't have that feature.
    Last edited by warbo; 22-06-15 at 07:30 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to warbo For This Useful Post:

WhiteOx (22-06-15)

Thanks

My current modem is a ThompsonTG782T. Does that help ?

So is this effectively a base and a remote ? :

And this 2 x remotes ? :

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    My current modem is a ThompsonTG782T. Does that help ?
    No good sorry.

So is this effectively a base and a remote ? :
    The "base" plugs into a power point at the modem/router and the "remote" which is the wireless device plugs into a power point in another area of the house where you would like your wifi extended. Both devices must be on the same phase power (different circuit is ok) and must not be plugged into surge protector type power boards.

And this 2 x remotes ? :
    These are ok if you just want to plug something in at the other end using an ethernet cable. It won't give you extended wireless, although you could plug a wireless switch into it. Probably easier to go with the first option.

Thanks

ah ok. I didn't notice that the TL-PA411KIT is not wireless.
    I was using what I thought was the right part number to find a second remote so that it could be used in the shed. I figured if I bought the TL-WPA4220KIT and one more remote I would have everything covered but then I couldn't see a similar looking device on ebay sold singley either.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 23-06-15 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks

The inside box gets installed when you arrange connection.
    My daughter just rang Exetel to arrange connection, they said 10~14 days - she didn't have a box installed inside the house either and Exetel told her she only needed a wifi router.
    This should not be so confusing. I just rang Exetel and they told me the NBN box that's installed inside the house is NOT a modem. I'll have to ring NBN co on Monday

Thanks

You need is a router. The nbn box isn't configured as a router, it'd be best described as a bridge. You plug your router into one of the uni-d ports on the nbn box.

Personally I'd be avoiding Exetel at this point. They seem to be on another of their "let's randomly terminate accounts" sprees. Exetel has been saying they are only terminating the accounts of people that are high downloaders, but if posts on Whirlpool can be believed (yeah, it's a stretch I know) even light users are getting the chop. There have been plenty of reports from people using less than half their quota getting the chop. Then there's the issue of amazingly poor speeds during peak times.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 28-06-15 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    You need is a router. The nbn box isn't configured as a router, it'd be best described as a bridge. You plug your router into one of the uni-d ports on the nbn box.

Personally I'd be avoiding Exetel at this point. They seem to be on another of their "let's randomly terminate accounts" sprees. Exetel has been saying they are only terminating the accounts of people that are high downloaders, but if posts on Whirlpool can be believed (yeah, it's a stretch I know) even light users are getting the chop. There have been plenty of reports from people using less than half their quota getting the chop. Then there's the issue of amazingly poor speeds during peak times.
    So the box installed inside is or isn't a modem ? and what's a bridge ?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

With TPG NBN you need a modem they supply free with iinet NBN you don't need one but if you want on iinet NBN to set the DNS to Getflix for example
    I bought a Netgear N300 with wifi and 4 ethernet out ports plus with automatic firmware updates that allow no-ip login in router for Dynamic DNS updates.

Bought mine on ebay

Thanks

So the box installed inside is or isn't a modem ? and what's a bridge ?
    The connection box is the modem, it is what is installed and activated by your chosen ISP
    you will want/need a router, that's dependent on the ISP you choose as to them supplying one.
    some isp providers supply a router with the install and some don't i see.
    (a router should be supplied) in my view, as in most cases you would want a wireless router

Last edited by precious; 28-06-15 at 07:55 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to precious For This Useful Post:

SpankedHam (29-06-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

The box "NTD" installed inside the house is a modem installed by NBN contractors. If you only want one computer connected to the NBN, then you can run an ethernet cable from one of the UNI-D ports in the NTD to your computer. With some RSP's such as Exetel you would need to create a pppoe connection on your computer before you connect. With other RSP's there is no need to create any authentication connection.

The majority of NBN users however would want more than one computer connected and would want wifi. I think the RSP should offer the choice of a pre-programmed router for a fee or a BYO device. I use a BYO device and I don't want to be subsidising others with free routers.

If you've gone with Exetel as you say, just get one of these for $85 as I mentioned in an earlier post

They are great bang for your buck. If you have a landline, port your number over and use the TP-Link router for your phone. You'll save your $85 in no time!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by warbo View Post
    The box "NTD" installed inside the house is a modem installed by NBN contractors. If you only want one computer connected to the NBN, then you can run an ethernet cable from one of the UNI-D ports in the NTD to your computer. With some RSP's such as Exetel you would need to create a pppoe connection on your computer before you connect. With other RSP's there is no need to create any authentication connection.

The majority of NBN users however would want more than one computer connected and would want wifi. I think the RSP should offer the choice of a pre-programmed router for a fee or a BYO device. I use a BYO device and I don't want to be subsidising others with free routers.

If you've gone with Exetel as you say, just get one of these for $85 as I mentioned in an earlier post

They are great bang for your buck. If you have a landline, port your number over and use the TP-Link router for your phone. You'll save your $85 in no time!
    My Connection:

The "NTD" was installed by a NBN Contractor only after contacting Optus, (Typical Process) The NBN Contractor then run the fibre to where i wanted the internal Box and installed the NTD

The Wifi Router was also supplied by Optus and definitely NOT SUBSIDISED BY YOU (don't know where you get that Nonsense) I believe that's what the monthly fee i pay is for. (my choice)

Hooking the phone directly to the NTD does not work with the Optus setup, only works with the supplied router. (phone jack) (or any other router with a phone jack)(or do something similar as you mentioned i guess)

I personally have not hooked a computer directly to the NTD to see if it will or won't work without the router as I'm just not interested.

The router supplied by Optus i don't really need as i have no real need for a landline and i prefer to use my dual band router at 1900mbs over 2ghz 300mbs any day. (so i have them both on the network regardless)

Clearly every ISP will have different ways of how that connection to the NTD will be performed, for phone and internet

The way i look at it, if you choose a provider they should supply all the necessary equipment to get you up and running (with ease) (for the lame computer user) (which is generally the majority NOT the minority)

you should NOT have to go out and purchase additional hardware to make the connection for the phone and computer to the NTD or any other method when your paying an access fee in my view.
    Last edited by precious; 30-06-15 at 02:19 PM.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast