Thread: Home alarm & CCTV- advice please

Thanks

Default Home alarm & CCTV- advice please

Hi,

I'm locataed in Melbourne. I'm getting quotes for home alarm and cameras that record to a DVR or NVR. Alarm system for inside the house. Cameras to monitor front verandah and backyard.

2 bdrm house, part old (19th century, double-brick walls, access to roof space), part newish (cheap extension with thin walls and flat roof).

Possibly need 4 motion detectors, 4 outdoor IR weatherproof cameras, probably with IR range up to 20 metres. Could maybe skimp and have 3 detectors & 3 cameras.

Question: I have an electrician coming tomorrow to install a floodllight or spotlight (not sure which) to illuminate side path, in hope this will give better images from camera that will be installed there. Do I need to install a light there? LED or incandescent or compact fluoro? How bright? If it's too bright will it white-out the images? What wattage would be suitable? The guy has quoted $250-$400 to install the light. That nearly gave me a heart attack.

Security companies, so far:

Company 1: approx. $4300 for (installed) 4 detectors Bosch 880 alarm system, and Digiwatch 4 digital cameras recording to NVR and BenQ monitor placed in bedroom.

Company 2: awaiting quote for Paradox alarm system with 3 or 4 detectors and touchscreen keypad, plus 3 x Dahua (2 or 3) MP digital cameras recording to Dahua NVR. NVR placed in cupboard behind bedroom wall to minimise noise of its operation, and 22"Asus monitor mounted on bedroom wall (master bedroom) so I can check the grounds at night without having to move through the house to get to the monitor.
    A more modern system that can be connected to internet (in future, if I decide to do that) so I can monitor the home from anywhere away from home. Looks a bit more complex to use. Prob more expensive, too. Guy from Company 2 said prob. $4000. Or more. Not sure I need a fancy alarm systmem, a fairly basic one would do. Do need good camera images to catch the nasty so-and-so who has been prowling round the house at night, trying to break in several nights in a row.

Company 3: awaiting quote for their own brand alarm system with 4 detectors, and 4 x their own brand 1000 TVL analogue cameras recording to a DVR or NVR (not sure). Can supply own monitor or they'll supply a 24"monitor.

Company 4: did not turn up at time arranged for them to come and do a home assessment.

Company 5: did home assessment, told me it would prob. cost $4000-$6000 but did not send me a quote. Contacted them on their website, asking for the quote. No reply as yet.

I'm tossing up whether to contact Matison Security and just have the Hills Reliance 8 alarm installed ($990 incl. installation; a basic alarm that seems to be popular and that seems to be a reasonable cost for it incl. installation) then spend more on the cameras with another company (to get digital cameras/better HD images).

I'm also hoping to contact Smarter Security, Linear Security, Crimewatch Security.

Anaolgue TVL cameras will necessitate need for more power points – according to Company 3, who will bring in (their mate) an electrician, to do the work – and that will add to the cost. Maybe cost not much more to just get digital cameras.

I need a wired system. Preferably one company to install a Hills Reliance 8 alarm and some decent cameras recording to a DVR or NVR. No need to connect all this to the internet, as I have only dial-up at this stage. (go ahead, laugh ). I don't have a mobile phone, either. But I do have a landline. Not sure what to do about alarm monitoring. It's all starting to be a PITA.

Total budget: $3000. It will be a stretch to go over that.

Any advice or ideas would be very much appreciated. I'm hoping you guys will be familiar with this type of equipment. Thank you.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

You've got half a dozen quotes, you're still sourcing some more quotes AND you want more opinions here?

Sorry but you will end up confusing yourself further and likely never making a decision. This will only fuel anxiety and indecision as well as taking a lot of time.

Good gear badly installed is no better than bad gear well installed. As such, mentioning the choice of brand is largely immaterial. They are more or less similar and if the specs are similar I'd be more interested in where the camera was mounted, than what brand it was. As for installation price: You get what you pay for. I am skeptical about the need for 'more powerpoints'.

You've obviously been briefed by all of these companies quoting, who would have given you enough detail upon which to make a comparative judgement. At this point your gut feel will count for a lot more than our opinion.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 16-11-14 at 09:42 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

th37sk (20-11-14),tristen (17-11-14),weirdo (16-11-14)

Thanks

I think $1000 should cover with the alarm system installation. Brands they all pretty much all do the same thing. Leaves you $2000 to install your CCTV which should also be more than enough to cover the installation of a decent 4 channel DVR and 4 quality analogue cameras and monitor. Of the companies you mention Matison and Crimewatch are both very good. I can not say I have had dealings with the others. I am sure if you spoke with Richard at Matison he would do his best to meet your requirements. Depending on the cameras you choose you might not need the flood light installed either.

Thanks

Thank you very much for replies recieved. I am continuing to get quotes because: as I go on, I am learning more about the equipment and learning more about what's good value, what's a rip-off and what's genuine info vs. what's unmitigated b.s.

For instance, I now know that a Bosch 880 alarm installed for $1400 is not a good deal when other companies are offering a better price with remotes and other features included.

I'll not commit my dollars until I am satisfied that I am not going to be ripped off. Please note that as a woman dealing with security companies/hardware shops/other male-dominated industries, I am quite often treated like an idiot, quoted higher rates, and/or seen to be a fool who'll be easily parted from her money.

I am trusting that the techs who contribute to this forum have no vested interest in telling me nonsense, as none of you is trying to sell me anything

Will check out Crimewatch. Thanks for that, kiwitech.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Rayban View Post
    I am continuing to get quotes because: as I go on, I am learning more about the equipment and learning more about what's good value, what's a rip-off and what's genuine info vs. what's unmitigated b.s.
    so you think it is fair to get umpteen quotations and just waste tradesmen's time just because you need to learn about good value?
    your attitude stinks
    sorry, just my opinion
    I'm not in the security game but in the building business and if I find out a client already has 3 or 4 quotes, I'll tell them straight out I'm not interested in supplying just another quote so they can compare.
    usually you get what you pay for
    if you go for the cheapest possible option don't expect high quality

• The Following User Says Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

Muzza78 (02-12-14)

Thanks

For instance, I now know that a Bosch 880 alarm installed for $1400 is not a good deal when other companies are offering a better price with remotes and other features included.
    You may not be comparing apples with apples. For example, wireless (minimal labour) versus wired detectors. Detector quantity and choice (some are fifty bucks, some are two hundred bucks) etc. Does the one with remotes also include a keypad? Or is the remote a way to avoid installing one next to your front door? Are they licenced? Are they insured? How is the monitoring to be conducted? Cheap and nasty? ASIAL Graded?

Quality of installation, warranty, after-sale support are all relevant. I am happy to say there will always be people who are cheaper than us. Our expertise, customer service and quality comes at a cost. That doesn't of course mean we are not competitive. If you just want the cheapest, then I daresay you should stop tyre-kicking and just go with someone who is cheap and cheerful and be done with it.

In general, as with any labour and installation industry, if you delete the cheapest and the most expensive you'll find the people in the middle are fairly similar as they all have similar expenses. No difference if you're renovating a bathroom or installing an alarm. Decisions after that becomes a bit more subjective.

Please note that as a woman dealing with security companies/hardware shops/other male-dominated industries, I am quite often treated like an idiot, quoted higher rates, and/or seen to be a fool who'll be easily parted from her money.

I can't speak for 'other' industries, but I can comfortably say that many, if not most of the residential installations will be spearheaded by a woman. I suspect you're being overly sensitive and as for 'higher rates' I very much doubt this has anything to do with your gender at all. Sorry.

I am continuing to get quotes because: as I go on, I am learning more

I've been learning for over two decades... I'm still learning.

Weirdo was fairly blunt, but he makes a good point. A lot of the people you're dealing with are small businesses and quoting (i.e. their time) is expensive, particularly on a relatively low-margin installation as is the case here.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 18-11-14 at 06:24 PM.

Thanks

Thank you very much for replies recieved. I am continuing to get quotes because: as I go on, I am learning more about the equipment and learning more about what's good value, what's a rip-off and what's genuine info vs. what's unmitigated b.s.

Please note that as a woman dealing with security companies/hardware shops/other male-dominated industries, I am quite often treated like an idiot, quoted higher rates, and/or seen to be a fool who'll be easily parted from her money.
    so I now know where I have being going wrong all these years. I don't have 2 price books - one for men and one for women.

Now I will be blunt, Weido hits that nail right on the head regarding wasting of tradies time so you can gain info at their expense. I sugest that if you want to learn about security then do it the right way, use you fingers on a keyboard to read articles, ask friends and family, ask work mates and do as you have done here asking on forum and not at the expense of companies trying to make an honest income. I bet you didn't come clean and disclose that you were using them all to further your knowledge and were quite happy to waste their time for your gain.

Rant over, just my 2c worth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bss904 View Post
    Rant over, just my 2c worth.
    Or 3c for the ladies...

Thanks

Well done for twisting my words and attacking me for no reason.

Some men seem to relish unleashing a misogynistic part of their personalities.

Thankfully most men are more evolved than that.

Thanks

Well done for twisting my words and attacking me for no reason.

Some men seem to relish unleashing a misogynistic part of their personalities.

Thankfully most men are more evolved than that.
    Well done for not reading what people had to say and twisting it around to suit your own purpose.

So we are now misogynistic because we dare to have an opinion that you don't like. You're not related to that knife weilding red headed clown that used to run the country are you.

Thanks

Default Home alarm & CCTV- advice please

Slightly of topic but it amazes me how many people do not realise that getting a free quote actually cost small business quite a lot. So it peeves me off when I'm told I'm the 6th or 7th Person they have had out. Fishing for ideas and advice is a consultation and should be charged for. Tell me what you want and I'll quote you for free. That's how it should be.
    Just my 4c worth.

• The Following User Says Thank You to xapi For This Useful Post:

downunderdan (24-11-14)

Thanks

I am quite often treated like an idiot...and/or seen to be a fool