Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liteon Flash Gone Wrong

Thanks

Default Liteon Flash Gone Wrong

Hey all, long time reader first time poster

the story so far,
    got ck3 and probe, and cracked open box and hooked up the drive to PC.
    Extracted good looking key etc from drive, built dummy.bin, patched firmware to drive and supposedly flashed it successfully. This is where things began to go wrong...
    after the flash, the drive would not eject (using ck3 button) reliably, would need several presses, no matter i thought, maybe something funny with ck3, so i popped it back in x360 and fired it up. Received green ring, which indicated it didnt detect a dvd drive, so hooked it back up to PC.

Flashed it again using dosflash (after erase) then put back in xbox, no rings, but now whenever i put a disc in, the box doesnt register a disc in the drive.

removed the dvd again and reflashed

still the same result when putting it back in.

on a side note, had several issues with SATA, on one board it would not see the drive at all, on another have to boot with the drive powered for dosflash to see it, and jungleflasher doesnt see it at all now.

Im going to attempt a few more flashes, though i think they will be in vain, and will have to take my firmware to a new drive, though im starting to wonder if its the firmware that is the issue and not the actual drive, in which case im really corked.

if anyone has suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Check the multi-pin cable (not the sata cable) pins are all pushed in properly when you plug it back into the 360. I have seen some where a couple of pins need to be pushed in a little more before it registers to the 360 that a disk is in the drive and other similar issues.

Another thing to try is a dvd movie. Preferably try a copied disk which has no region or protection and see it it works.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

thanks cwispy for the quick reply.
    no dice on the movie disc, and i double checked the pins on the power cable and sata also.

the drive makes 2 small movement noises (like the laser being positioned) then i hear the disc spin up , then it spins down and the xbox reports no disc in the drive (shows open tray option)

cheers

Thanks

Check the 99 ohm smd resisters near where you put the probe. If one of them is open it will cause the issue your seeing.

Thanks

thanks cwispy will give it a go when i get my hands on a multimeter.

the only thing i can think of which may have caused damage to the unit would be the external 5v power supply (from an external drive connector kit) i noticed at certain times the ck3 power light pulsing, and when switching the power on and off to get the right drive status to erase the blue LED would almost be off with power applied. After seeing this i made the change to an old atx power supply for power to the unit (the psu in the pc only has sata power adapters)

Thanks

sorry to bother you cwispy but do you have a pic of these items?

not being too familiar with electronics i need a little guidance.

I suspect though in the end it will be easier for me to purchase a liteon drive replacement...

Thanks

me again

ive looked closely at some photos, are they resistors on the points marked
    R707,R708,R709 or are they R203,R204,R207

cheers

Thanks

The ones your looking for are marked 707... etc. They are the ones right next to where you put the probe to read the key off the drive.

Thanks

Might be way off here guys but thought I should add this none the less.

I remember a similiar problem I encountered with the drive behaviour you mention Jovolcano.
    Its going back a little while now, but Im sure my issue was with spoofing the firmware on the drive.

I had the correct DVD console key but I dont think I had was able to read the unique drive id details at that stage.
    I was flashing the drive without correctly spoofing it and the console behaved as did the dvd drive in a similiar manner as you describe.

My suggestion would be to reflash the drive with the original firmware that you would have backed up to begin with.
    This will then tell you if you have a hardware fault or if you are incorrectly modifying your firmware I would think.

Thanks

I would suggest flashing back to the original firmware myself, except the original firmware for the liteon is not available and unlike the other drives, you cant read it off, you just get the key, inquiry and identity off the drive and make the iXtreme with those.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwispy View Post
    I would suggest flashing back to the original firmware myself, except the original firmware for the liteon is not available and unlike the other drives, you cant read it off, you just get the key, inquiry and identity off the drive and make the iXtreme with those.
    Cwispy, thanks for clearing that up before I confused Jovolcano any further.

I should have realised considering I used a samsung drive as a replacement for my liteon before they releasd the hacked liteon firmware.

Thanks

hey cwispy

i have tested between R707 and R708 and they came up with nothing, testing R709 and R710 returned a reading of 99.
    After turning over the board there is nothing on R707 and R708.

I tired checking the points marked R203 R204 and R207 but received nothing from them.

Im starting to fear my initial dump of the firmware is somewhow corrupt which means i cant get a new drive as i will have the same issues.

Im more now about finding out what is wrong than fixing it, becuase it anooying the piss out of me how i managed to end up at this point after it all seemed to go so well

Thanks

Those readings on the resistors are correct at 99 ohms and the other two points are open circuit which is why you have to link them or use the probe when you extract the key. Unfortunately it is sounding like your key might be bad or is it the copy of the ixtreme 1.5 that you have is bad? What program did you use to make the firmware with?

Thanks

I havent seen this problem before, but thinking about it - the fact it doesnt eject would suggest that the firmware has been erased and perhaps your flash attempts have been unsuccessful (are you getting the correct status after erasing, power cycling and flashing?)

Are you flashing in windows or dos? [Flashing in dos may alleviate any incompatibility issues]

Also, check here...

they appear to be having a similar problem

providing you have a good key dump you should be fine.
    Modding Xbox, Xbox360 and Wii consoles - all versions.
    Located in Wollongong, NSW.

Thanks

hey pak_indo, the drive ejects now, after reflashing, the problem now is the discs are not detected when inserted.

cwispy - i used jungleflasher to create the firmware then used dos flash to insert it into the dvd drive. I also used firmtool to create the firmware and flashed it with dosflash. Im going to try and reflash with jungle flasher tonight and see if it makes a difference.

cheers for your input so far guys

Thanks

Keep at it mate, hope you find a fix

Thanks

I would use l-o-eras and dosflash 16bit version 1.7 from dos.

run l-o-eras [port]
    I always get ff80 when the erase is successful.
    Then power cycle the dvd drive and run dosflash to flash your firmware again.

Thanks

Did you read the key, inquiry and identity off the drive to begin with?

Thanks

AussieFX - yes i did, and have now reflashed 3 times with the exact same result.

I am chucking in the towel and sucking it in.
    Will be visiting the professionals on the weekend and handing it over to them, to either flash me a new liteon or tell me its a bad firmware dump, either way im in for more than i had originally bargained for

I look forward to my next x360, have a few mates who want it done and as yet havent told them i borked this one

thanks to you all for your help, if you have any other ideas throw them at me, but at this point from all that i have read it seems the drive is done, and so am i.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jovolcano View Post
    AussieFX - yes i did, and have now reflashed 3 times with the exact same result.

I am chucking in the towel and sucking it in.
    Will be visiting the professionals on the weekend and handing it over to them, to either flash me a new liteon or tell me its a bad firmware dump, either way im in for more than i had originally bargained for

I look forward to my next x360, have a few mates who want it done and as yet havent told them i borked this one

thanks to you all for your help, if you have any other ideas throw them at me, but at this point from all that i have read it seems the drive is done, and so am i.
    dont give up mate... as far as flashing liteons goes the "pro's" wont be able to do much more than you....its just a simple flashing operation you just gotta get the hardware right - get this one right and you wont **** up the next one

have you flashed in dos as suggested?
    are you sure you are getting the correct status when you flash and erase?
    have you followed the firmware creation instructions to a t?
    Modding Xbox, Xbox360 and Wii consoles - all versions.
    Located in Wollongong, NSW.

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast