Thread: 4G Tesltra USB Modem

Thanks

Default 4G Tesltra USB Modem

Hi All,
    I am having trouble finding specifications on this modem. It has 2 external antenna ports and I am trying to find out if each antenna port goes to the 2 different transceivers.
    I am about to do some testing with some high gain antennas on the 4G network which in itself is confusing because the early 4G is running 2100mhz I’m let to believe and now on the1800mhz.
    With the testing I want to do I want to filter the 850mhz stuff out by way of a very tight band Yagi, with a 200mm coax tail from the antenna to a mast head mounted router mounted in metal enclosure to provide even more RF filtering from the in-built antenna.
    This testing will be done in a marginal area with a clear view line of sight to a 4G tower about 25km away. Back to the antenna ports, this will become very clear once my testing process starts. Would be interested to know if anyone knows this detail or done such testing..

Cheers
    Colin

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Very Interested in this Testing, Colin.
    Only thing i can confirm (by way of talking with Telstra) is that they WILL be operating their new 4G on the 1800MHz band.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Telstra had a wireless modem/router recently that had dual antenna but oddly only one was connected.
    Did I read correctly that your planning to use a Yagi and have a 200mm (8 inch) length of coax connected to a router also mounted up the pole?
    I dont know but I would have thought you could safely run 3 to 5 metres of coax from the routher to an external antenna.
    I have seen one such antenna sold with 7 metres of cable alread attatched.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

So far testing revealled that i can connect to a telstra LTE 1800 network about 40km away just from the built-in, at about -90db. I wasn't able to source an antenna before I left Perth on Friday. I have found a 1800mhz 24db parabolic grid supplier over east, i am hoping to pick up 10 or 15 db with that as long as I dont lose too much in the coax. My best download speed so far has been 10mbps and 4 up.
    will keep you posted. Probably take me a couple of weeks before i get the antenna and get it up.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I hope the gurus with antenna knowledge will agree but I think you will find that the gain of the antenna will more than equal the loss in the cable supplied and still have some left over.
    It would be useless otherwise to go to all that trouble to have a Hi-gain antenna mounted and find what it gained was lost before it reached the receiver.
    Simarly the transmitter would be in the same situation and you would have one totaly Deaf and Dumb modem.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!