Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech info: DM500 power supplies

Thanks

Post Tech info: DM500 power supplies

After criticising poor quality of clone DM500 power supplies for a while I figured it was time I looked at them more closely to understand how they work (or why they don't).

Those who try repairing faulty ones by replacing one or more electrolytic capacitors will sometimes find that's not enough: sometimes the replacements sizzle and burst too. And you'll find resistors overheated and burned out. What's usually happened in these cases is the regulator and/or PWM controller IC has failed, resulting in the output rising above 20V which causes a bunch of parts to burn out.

Having learned that people like have replacements available quite cheaply I've formed the view that it's not really worth the time it takes to dismantle, repair and reglue them - certainly not if it's more than just one or two capacitors. Not everyone will agree of course, and to help those who decide to persevere I'm posting info about the couple of DM500 PSU versions I've seen so far. There may be a errors, I don't guarantee everything is 100% correct. But it gives you an idea what you're dealing with, how they work, and how to troubleshoot if you want to persevere with a repair.

If you come across a new version you might like to take some snaps and add your observations.

I've also seen cases of intermittent failure. This can be caused by hairline fractures in the PCB, or bad solder joints on heavier components (increasingly common with lead-free solder nowadays).

If you compare the schematics to reference designs from component manufacturers (eg or ) you'll notice several short cuts taken in the DM500 supplies. For example,
    • Better designs use two 470uF capacitors after the schottky diodes rather than a single 1000uF because the lower capacity parts cope better with the high ripple current.
    • Better designs use 25V output capacitors instead of 16V. In fact you'll see a number of reference designs use quite small output electrolytics, eg only 100uF. This illustrates that you're better off using a smaller capacitor with a safe voltage rating than a larger one with minimal safety margin.
    • Better designs specify higher rated schottky diodes to cope with transients (eg 16A instead of 3A, and higher voltage rating too)
    • Better designs sometimes specify higher rated resistors (1W instead of 0.5W etc)
    • Better designs specify high ripple current type for electrolytic on the output of the schottky diode
    • Some designs use two schottky diodes in parallel rather than just one; some PCBs were designed for two but only one is fitted.
    • Better designs specify higher voltage rating on feedback diodes to cope with transients.
    • Better designs specify higher rated drive MOSFET.

Some other comments:
    • There are in some cases discrepancies between suppression capacitor grades (X1, X2, Y1, Y3) marked on the PCB and the parts actually fitted. If you're not familiar with these parts it's worth taking the time to learn about them, for example .
    • Many switchmode designs take feedback from the supply side of the output filter (10uH) rather than the output side.
    • The yellow kevlar (or whatever it is) tape around the transformers and heatsink is important for safety; don't remove it.
    • The glue on some components is to reduce buzzing which is a common problem in switchmodes.
    • You need to be careful when removing PCBs from the cases because adhesive on the rubber standoff beneath the board can be strong; you might fracture PCB tracks if you're not careful when removing it.

Be warned: an electric shock from handling a live or charged switchmode PCB can be lethal! Unless you're knowledgeable about electronics and know what you're doing you should not open, let alone attempt to modify, a switchmode power supply. Power supplies are arguably more than CRT tubes because although tubes contain higher voltage the capacitors in PSUs store more charge. Additionally there is a real safety risk if you introduce a fault. That alone is good reason to purchase a replacement rather than attempt repair yourself.
    Last edited by gw1; 14-03-09 at 05:28 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gw1 For This Useful Post:

Kirra (06-09-11),WARUNASAT (29-01-10)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Default Sun6106c

First off I'll start with the DM500 supply which I'll call SUN6106C. This is a marking found on the side of the main transformer wrapped in yellow tape (you can't see the marking on these photos). The identifier isn't found on the case label unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be anything on the labels that's a reliable indicator of board version, unfortunately, which is why I've used the internal marker.

Here are the schematic and component overlay.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gw1 For This Useful Post:

Kirra (06-09-11),millencolin (10-07-10),WARUNASAT (29-01-10)

Thanks

Default Sun6106d

Next there's another marked SUN6106D, presumably a later revision. The identifier isn't evident in the photos but can be found on the transformer tape and also on the solder-side silk screen.

I expect the D version will give better performance under load than the C version, if only because of its MOSFET driver and heatsink.

Here are the D version schematic and component overlay.

I've made these reasonably high resolution in case people want to print them. Apologies for the crappy photo quality - my decent camera is overseas at the moment

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gw1 For This Useful Post:

millencolin (10-07-10),WARUNASAT (29-01-10)

Thanks

Even if you decide not to attempt repair, you can learn quite a bit by studying the circuits to figure out how they work. Component manufacturers' reference designs (such as those I linked to above) describe circuit operation in good detail so I won't go into it here. They also discuss technical constraints which designs must meet for stability, durability and standards compliance. The more you understand those issues the more you'll appreciate why careful component selection is important for reliability. A key reason clone equipment tends to be unreliable is they substitute cheaper components with lower ratings that are adequate for normal conditions but not necessarily able to cope with transients.

A good place to start learning is the datasheet for shunt regulator. When regulating properly these maintain 2.50V on their reference pin (ie the reference input is compared to 2.50V and the optocoupler is turned on/off accordingly). If you look at the DM500 power supply schematics you'll see there are 120K and 1K resistors from that pin down to ground. The total current through these is
    2.5V * (1/1K + 1/120K) = 2.52mA.
    As with most op-amps the current into the reference pin is negligible, which means that current must flow through the 3K9. That means the output voltage is maintained at:
    2.5V + 2.52mA * 3K9 = 12.3V
    So you see, even though the shunt regulator's internal reference may be high precision, the accuracy of the output voltage is only as good as those resistors. That's why 1% precision types are used.
    Last edited by gw1; 14-03-09 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks

Thanks GW1 can the moderators Sticky this please .

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Another very informative post. Thanks. I've already had one PSU go faulty but it was replaced faster then I would be able to pull it appart and repair. I will get a few spare componets to have for they day, when and if they fail as they will be out of warranty now.

Leroy

Thanks

Great post GW1. Very informative and helpful

Thanks

Very good Gw1

Thanks

Excellent info gw1. Many thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F.A.Q.
    My supply died. I have the following plugpacks in my junk box:
    12V 1A (plugpack from an old answering machine)
    13.8V 2.8A (brick from an old access point)
    16V 3.8A (from an old laptop)

Are they suitable? I've been using the answering machine one but my Dream keeps crashing.
    No, none of them are suitable. The crashing is because 1A is insufficient.

The DM500 supply needs to be 12V DC regulated with 2 amp rating minimum - preferably 2.5 amps or more. Eg Jaycar or Altronics . Make sure you configure for positive tip!

If your receiver is a PVR with hard disk then I recommend a 3A supply.

If you're experiencing earth loop problems (eg hum or network problems) then I recommend you take the time to locate a transformer type power supply rather than a switchmode. Yes they're large, heavy and cost more but it may well solve your problem. They're becoming less common nowadays because of MEPS (low standby power) regulations but remain preferable in certain circumstances.

If you're an experimenter who's frequently unplugging and reflashing your Dreambox then a transformer type supply is a good thing to have on your workbench. You can plug/unplug it into your Dream, Phoenix or whatever without risk of blowing up RS232 ports.

Note: when hooking up RS232 cable for flashing you still need to be careful if your Dream is also connected to a switchmode-powered TV set, as tingle currents can come from them too even if your Dream power supply is transformer type. If you usually connect your Dream to a TV set while experimenting with images then your best bet is to earth your LNB lead via DMM's earthing kit, and plug that into your Dreambox before you do anything else. That guarantees your receiver is earthed and prevents any damage.

For stability and long life you need to provide your receiver and power supply with adequate ventilation (as Humax owners found out). It's particularly important for PVR receivers because of their cramped interior and extra heat generated by the hard disk. Closed cabinets with back panel and glass doors are the worst possible arrangement technically. If the wife insists on using these then you may be able to mitigate the risk to some extent by keeping space between equipment using standoffs. But really you need to avoid that situation if at all possible. Switchmode plugpacks tend to be sealed airtight which is another reason they die prematurely.
    Last edited by gw1; 14-03-09 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks

Thanks GW1, excellent service approach.
    Your work is admired and appreciated.

Cheers,

Kavakid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gw1 View Post
    No, none of them are suitable. The crashing is because 1A is insufficient.

The DM500 supply needs to be 12V DC regulated with 2 amp rating minimum - preferably 2.5 amps or more. Eg Jaycar or Altronics . Make sure you configure for positive tip!
    This is not quite correct GW1. The DM500 only requires a 1.5A supply and will work on a good quality 1A supply, though not recommended. I am however speaking of genuine dreams here, and not the clones, the genuine unit being of much better quality. A 2.5A supply is recommended if you plan on running a Moteck. This supply from Jaycar is more than adequate as a standard replacement
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Great post GW1.
    Very informative. A very good post mortem

Some might like to look at the pics & play a game of "spot the crook cap"

I'll send you some dead dreamboxes to play with. They are the soldered type tuners. Sorry about that
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Wow, great work GW1.

Thanks for sharing.

Hmmm spot the bulging caps. LOL

Well worth becoming a sticky, might save heaps of members a few $.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwispy View Post
    This is not quite correct GW1. The DM500 only requires a 1.5A supply and will work on a good quality 1A supply, though not recommended. I am however speaking of genuine dreams here, and not the clones, the genuine unit being of much better quality. A 2.5A supply is recommended if you plan on running a Moteck. This supply from Jaycar is more than adequate as a standard replacement
    good post and link cwispy, quick ask to you and others - one of my dms is used in shed where heat in Perth can be 45c to 50c in summer - what supply helps when things are really really HOT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesv View Post
    good post and link cwispy, quick ask to you and others - one of my dms is used in shed where heat in Perth can be 45c to 50c in summer - what supply helps when things are really really HOT
    A larger supply will help in that situation. Also if the supply can breathe, that will help a lot. One of the biggest issues with power supplies is that they do not have any cooling/venting so they run far too hot and die. Maybe that is because the manufacturers want them replaced regularly.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

Good work

Thanks

a rat chewed thru my dm500 power supply, i had a spare power supply from a failed western digial ext 500gb hdd. same voltage etc... was sitting gathering dust. the connector was same as the dm500 power connected and plugged into back of dm500 no problems, turned on and it worked

Thanks

Default Power Supply Issue (DM500s).

Hi guys,

I have a DM500s which was working fine till I switched off the mains last nite. Now there is no power reaching the box. I have tried with a good PSU adapter, it did not help, furthermore there is a hissing sound coming from the box. The standby LED does not light up. Any technical solutions?

Regards.
    Suresh.

Thanks

I now have gw1's dreambox clone how come it works with a 500ma PSU as I didn't recieve the Power supply with it that gw1 has pictured. I do have a 2A+ 12V PSU I will use from now on maybe thats why I am having trouble with it being slow going into the menu but I still cant find the part of the Menu to do a scan does anyone know the clone is a light snot green colour with no model number or logo on it even tho it has a spot to put a logo. any help would be appreciated.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    3 x 90CM Hills Offset, 1.2M Aluminium Offset, 1.2M Offset,
    1.7M Offset.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast