Thread: **WARNING** All DSi Users Please Read

Thanks

Default **WARNING** All DSi Users Please Read

Today DSi Firmware V1.4 was released for the DSi console. This firmware has blocked the ability of flash carts to currently run. So whatever you do try to avoid this update if you are a flash cart using.

People using M3i Zero flash carts and a few others have the ability to update the kernal software on the cards, im sure the m3i zero team will be swift in providing a solution. Acekard 2i uses will also most likely be able to update there cards however they will need to do it on a DS lite console.

Users of other cards keep a eye out on the relevant teams website for updates and more information.

Prevention is better than a cure and right now the best solution would to be not do any DSi firmware updates, until the compatibilities of the cards have been worked out.

Cheers

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to urban_s0ulja For This Useful Post:

ccbonline01 (07-08-09),dilligaf (11-08-09),HoochDaTank (01-08-09),Jaz808 (01-08-09),myf360f1 (31-07-09),NoService (01-08-09),smithster (31-07-09),troyboy (31-07-09)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

LOL, I was wondering how long it would take for this to happen. Nintendo were doing it with the Wii and now the DS.

Guess someone will be coming out with either an updater or there are going to be a million game hacks (as seen in the past with ARM7).

Keeps it interesting.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

its like putting your fingers in a leaking dyke sooner or later you run out of fingers

good on nintendo for trying to protect themselves but it will never happen

maybe if the games were a little cheaper it might help

NS
    The Early Bird May Get The Worm But Its The Second Mouse That Gets The Cheese!

Thanks

Hmm I wonder if this is legit

Last team I was expecting it from.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post

ahha lol

yeh read about that tooo

ill believe it when its in someone elses hands...

might be a solution but maybe not the best solution

Thanks

V1.4 First breakthrough!
    In August 10 the other day purchased the cassette user, DSi please do not promote is the V1.4 editions, 1.4 edition firmwares can shield the third party fitting, creates cannot the service condition. In August 10 in the future will produce goods the cassette to be possible to use normally, brings inconvenient to you, asks respectfully to forgive!

WTF?
    Last edited by grommet80; 11-08-09 at 11:53 AM. Reason: ! /= ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grommet80 View Post
    V1.4 First breakthrough!
    In August 10 the other day purchased the cassette user, DSi please do not promote is the V1.4 editions, 1.4 edition firmwares can shield the third party fitting, creates cannot the service condition. In August 10 in the future will produce goods the cassette to be possible to use normally, brings inconvenient to you, asks respectfully to forgive!

WTF?
    It loses a little in translation.

Thanks

Its engrish for "Dont update you idiot, because if you do, you'll be screwed and wont be able to update your card"

I do love the line "asks respectfully to forgive" I've heard that out of people in the past.

Thanks

This sums it up well. Next flash card you get buy one with a re-writable boot sector to future proof yourself.

Basically there is a part of the flash cart that holds the boot code, firmware, boot strap, kernel, whatever you want to call it. This is separate from the firmware files on your MicroSD, it is pretty much the most important part and what allows it to boot.

The problem with R4i SDHC (though this hasn't been confirmed, we just assume) uses a chip that can only be written once, think burning a CD, you can only write the code once. So now that the method the cart uses is blocked by the new firmware, you need a new boot strap to run the cart. The R4i SDHC uses a chip that can only be written once, so, you can't rewrite it anymore, thus, you are pretty much screwed in that sense. Although again, we are assuming the R4i SDHC isn't rewritable. It could be... just unlikely.

The AceKard 2i however has a chip that can be rewritten, over and over, think a USB thumbstick. Obviously the cart costs more because this kind of chip costs more (which is why an AceKard 2i is more expensive than say... the DSTTi). What it can do is it can boot up on a DS Lite or a pre-1.4 DSi console, and then you can run a program to rewrite the bootloader on this rewritable chip.

So pretty much, to update the AceKard 2i and the EZ Flash Vi, you need the cart to be able to turn on and run a program, or well, the program that will rewrite their code. So it doesn't matter how you do it, but most people say that you need the DS Lite and DS phat for obvious reasons.

EDIT: So to make this clear, R4i SDHC is unlikely to be updated that way. The truth is we don't know because they never made a statement, however it seems that the R4i Gold Box is shipping out new carts with 1.4 support rather than updating the old ones, which suggests one time writes, and also the R4i brand is pretty tarnished as is. The thing is the R4i's are designed to saturate the low end market, they sell lower than others, and the cost cuts have to come from somewhere. There is a lot of basis for the idea that the cart can't be updated that way, but again unless the team says it concretely, we really don't know. One shred of hope is that the R4i SDHC red box version, the one that you have, is often considered one of the better clones, one of the luxury or more expensive versions. So there is a chance that it won't follow the same path as the R4i Gold Box.
    By reading this, you have already given me control over a tiny slice of your mind

Thanks

BTW has any M3Zi users tried the new software thats on their site, it just appeared with no explanation of what is changed.

Thanks

BTW has any M3Zi users tried the new software thats on their site, it just appeared with no explanation of what is changed.
    nope

ill load it up tonight and let you guys know

it better work ><

lol

Thanks

what software?
    cant find it lol

Thanks

LOL Urban, you should know the long and winding road to get to it, go to M3adapter.com then downloads then the page it links to

BTW its here

from this page (just so you can see the update date). Like I said no info on it so, not sure what it does.

Thanks

One stop shop for all you firmwares. Updated very regularly.
    By reading this, you have already given me control over a tiny slice of your mind

Thanks

LOL Urban, you should know the long and winding road to get to it, go to M3adapter.com then downloads then the page it links to

BTW its here

from this page (just so you can see the update date). Like I said no info on it so, not sure what it does.
    completely missed that lol...

doesn't look too promising....

Thanks

Its game updates, someone found the changelog on a Chinese site.

Keep waiting.

Thanks

GBAtemp are reporting that EZ5i and Hyper-R4i have been updated to work with 1.4

Dare say the rest will emulate it over the weekend.

Thanks

GBAtemp are reporting that EZ5i and Hyper-R4i have been updated to work with 1.4

Dare say the rest will emulate it over the weekend.
    There solution is half assed

hopefully m3/acekard team will release a better solution

Thanks

Yea, its obvious what they have done but I'm sure the other teams are watching, and at worst it will give them a kick in the butt to get moving on it (Acekard guys say they have a fix, but not ready to release).