Thread: Tutorial : Google maps on a Tomtom

Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 862 Posts

Post Tutorial : Google maps on a Tomtom

Some people might want to use their Tomtom while hiking or mountain biking.
    Others, like me, to explore the areas where there is no map coverage provided by Tomtom.
    Now you can use your Tomtom with Google maps!

That's what you need :

1. - a program to use scanned maps and raster maps on your Tomtom. You can check the full list of features on the homepage - as well as download the program - it's freeware!

2. - a nice tool to make maps by downloading them from Google maps. - Can be used to make maps for OZI-Explorer as well.

The following programs are necessary to convert the the downloaded maps into the right format for ttmpas.

3. a freeware that downloads the tiles from Google to be used as a map.

4. and the plugins for it - Freeware Grafic and Picture viewer that can read almost all types of pictures.

5. - Freeware to convert the downloaded map tiles into calibrated ECW files to be used in ttmaps.

Installation :
    1. Download ttmaps and install it on your Tomtom :
    Extract the files and folders to the root of your SD card(use of a SD card is highly recommended because of the somtimes big maps-a high detailed city map can be several hundred MB).
    Copy the SDKRegistry folder to your internal memory as well.

2 . Download and install Google2ttmaps ,GoogleOzi ,IrfanView and plugins ,FWTools.
    Google2ttmaps and GoogleOzi can be just unpacked into the same folder.

3. Check the settings in Google2ttmaps and set up the right patch to the folders of the extra programs.
    "Phases to execute" , settings....
    By default all downloaded and converted files will end up in the folder "data" of the Google2ttmaps folder.
    The registration info is located in the file "unlocking code.txt" inside the archive and can be entered after pressing the "About" button.

Usage :
    Start Google Earth and zoom into the area you like to use on your Tomtom.
    Check under "Tools ,options" that decimal degrees are used to disply the current position of the cursor!
    Move the cursor to the upper left corner of the area you would like to use and write down the coordinates ,same for the lower right corner.
    You will notice that there is a N or S for the Latitude and a W or E for the Longitude - you need this info too!
    Using the Grid function can make it easier sometimes.

Start Google2ttmaps and in the main window enter the coordinates you just wrote down.
    As an example Liberty Island in New York : Max Lat : 40,6912 N
    Min Long : 74,075 W
    Max Long : 74,0435 W
    Max Lat : 40.6883 N

Further down you put in a Name e.g. Liberty Island

Under "map" you set up what type of map you need e.g. Hybrid for airial view plus roads and names for the roads.
    "resolution" defines the detail level of the resulting map - the lower the pixel size the more details you get (and the bigger the map will be).
    "map tile size" defines the size of the resulting single pictures - I always use 4096x4096 for normal maps and 8192x8192 for large areas.

Press "start" and the program generates the map files.
    Depending on the size of your map and the speed of your connection it can take some time!
    Do your first tests with some small maps of your hometown to get used to the program settings.

On your Tomtom :

Make a new folder in "ttmaps\maps\" for you new map ,e.g. "Liberty Island" for my example (would look like this : "ttmaps\maps\Liberty Island").
    Copy all *.ECW files from the folder "data" of the Google2ttmaps program into the newly created folder on your Tomtom.
    Start your Tomtom and go through the menu ,on the last page you will find ttmaps.
    Start ttmaps.
    After the satellites are found you should see your map on the screen - but only if your current position is inside the map!!
    That means if you for example create a map of Las Vegas but you are in New York ,you wont see a thing.
    Please check the complete User Manual on the homepage!!
    After your map is working fine on your Tomtom you can delete the files in the "data"folder of Google2ttmaps.

Thanks to Jean-Claude for pointing me in that direction!
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downunder35m For This Useful Post:

ATTITUDE (19-11-09),tomar5e (20-11-09)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i was reading through your article and think you may be able to help me downunder...
    I use a bicycle program and find it useful to track and record where i have been. But it doesn't come with any maps. It has the ability to upload your own onto them. I have done a little searching and think google maps would look great on it. I have captured a screen shot of google maps and used it but because its only 1 screen shot the resolution is not that high therefore i cant ride very far without going off the map.
    Can i use these programs to take multiple tiles from google and put them altogether to make 1 higher resolution map?

Thanks

No problem - I got a map covering all of Victoria
    Not sure if the resolution is good enough for the bike ,but with the full version of GoogleOzi you can get down to about 3m per pixel for most parts of Australia.
    I don't know what map format you need ,if you device supports OZI Explorer maps than you only need one program...

Thanks

Spewing, im in WA The desktop application only needs a JPEG, then from there it converts it to mbd?? Not sure what that is. Only requirements the file needs is the top left and bottom right coordinates of the JPEG. Im a little hesitant about paying 15 EURO for googleozi, maybe im just being a stinge lol. But can googleozi accurately give me coordinates of tiles and place them all together in the one map?

PS: sorry for jumping off the main topic
    Last edited by tomar5e; 19-11-09 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks

There is the next problem : getting these coordinates...
    Not sure how to do that in an easy way with using GoogleOZI - you don't need oziexplorer!