Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Satellite Signal Neing Recieved - Foxtel

Thanks

Default No Satellite Signal Being Received - Foxtel

Hi guys
    Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I am having some issues with Foxtel. Every Saturday for the last 6 weeks at 11am, Foxtel stops working. We get a blue screen with a F100 banner that says "no satellite signal is being recieved". We can scan through the channels and see what is on, but all channels have the same message. I usually leave home on Saturdays at 12, and by the time I return at 5pm it is working again. This is happening every Saturday at 11am without fail. Things I tried:

1. Turned off the Foxtel Box, unplugged the power, checked all cables screwed in correct. Switch it all back on, still same problem. Did that for the first 2 Saturdays thinking it was something that just happens. After that, I did point 2.

2. Called Foxtel, they asked if I had done what I did above, then advised to change the LNB settings from 10.7 to 11.3. Still didn't work. Changed LNB settings back. They decided to get a tech to come out. I let them know that by the time the tech came, it would be working again. They said he would still have a look and make sure it was all ok.

So the tech came out, saw that it was all working. Checked the signal strength and did a cable test and it all looked ok. Nothing he could do, so he left. Next Saturday, it happened again. Called Foxtel, they got the tech to come out the next day. Tech came when it was working, can't do anything but swap out the box. Did that and off he went. Following Saturday at 11am, same issue. Called Foxtel, tech came next day when Foxtel working. Did a software upgrade on the box and said he hopes it works. He said that if I have the same problem again, to call Foxtel and let them know to have a tech around at 11am on Saturday.

Same issue on Saturday again. This time, I called Foxtel to let them know that I would like the tech to be at my house at 11am. So I have to wait until this Saturday and see what happens.

Anyway, just wandering if anyone else on here has had the same issue or know of anything else that can be done. My Foxtel Box is a Pace Box running scart to the TV. I have not changed anything prior to these issues occurring. It just started happening one Saturday, and now happens every week. It did it for the first time on Sunday at the same time, so not sure if it happens during the week or not. I will set up a recorder to start recording at 11am during the week and see what happens.

Cheers guys, and sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by sotko; 24-08-09 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Look Here ->
    Thanks

signal interference from something else?

is it confined to your house, have you asked the neighbours?

NS
    Last edited by NoService; 25-08-09 at 12:36 AM.
    The Early Bird May Get The Worm But Its The Second Mouse That Gets The Cheese!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

It is foxtels problem.
    Your paying them to supply a service. They need to fix it.

I would suggest videotaping the problem just to prove your not going crackers

It sounds to me like the LNB may be intermitent
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

Do you have no signal on vertical channels as well? not sure what they are with foxtel, someone else may be able to help. On Aus* they are ACC, ABC2 and box office.

Cheers,
    Nando.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

Is there a possibility, something temporarily blocks the signal to your Satellite dish at only that particular time ?

no kids playing a practical joke covering your dish with something ?

or is there a possibility someone is playing the cable from your LNB at that particular time,

(no-one pinching your dish for their aurora box or something ?)

I hope Foxtel work it out for you, (it is their job to fix it for you)

I would like to know what you find out,

Cheers

but yes, ask other people in your area, or connected to the same dish as you, if they are having the same problem
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 25-08-09 at 11:14 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys. To answer your questions though.

There is nothing that blocks the signal as far as I can tell. The first time it happened I went outside to make sure there was nothing wrong with the dish. It looked fine from what I could tell. The tech also had a look at the dish, but never went on the roof to have a look.

I don't even know if any neighbours have foxtel, but I will check that one out and go around and have a look and ask if they are having issues.

Have not checked about the vertical channels, but when the problem happens, I get the same message on all channels, apart from box office, which I never checked.

I am taping today from 11 to see what happens. Will keep you all posted with what Foxtel come up with.

Maybe a sly way for them to make me go with IQ....
    Last edited by sotko; 25-08-09 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks

If there are for example, 2 boxes wired with a splitter and not a multiswitch and one of those is watching a particular show at Saturday 11am on a vertical channel, you will loose signal on your horizontal channels.

Cheers,
    Nando.

• The Following User Says Thank You to nando For This Useful Post:

beer4life (02-07-11)

Thanks

It could be as Fern Bay said that you have an intermittent problem with the LNB and the only way to check is to get the tech to climb up to the dish and physically check that the cover of the LNB has not deteriorated, allowing spiders in, which will short out your signal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tangerinenwhite View Post
    It could be as Fern Bay said that you have an intermittent problem with the LNB and the only way to check is to get the tech to climb up to the dish and physically check that the cover of the LNB has not deteriorated, allowing spiders in, which will short out your signal.
    WOW .... what will they invent next .. imagine spiders that can tell time and know what day of the week it is.

Thanks

That would be right. The 2 days I taped at 11am, it was working, so I hope this has stopped. Unless it is just happening on Saturdays. Tech is still coming around though.

Nando, Only have one box in the house, with the signal going to another 2 TV's to other parts of the house. Been doing that for 3 years now with no issues. Pardon for asking, but are vertical channels the FTA ones??

Will have to ask the tech to check the LNB on the dish, but how intermittent can it be when it happens at the same time on the same day, except for that one time on a Sunday?

BTW, don't know if I should have mentioned but my location is Canberra. Not that it matters I suppose.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

If it was happening everyday at around the same time as was happening to a friend, you could blame the SUN !!!. His LNB was overheating when the Sun was directly behind the LNB.
    They thought the dish might be dirty from the smoke of houses near them burning coal so they hosed down the dish and back came the signal. But when it happened the next day around the same time, dish cant be dirty in that time, hosed again, signal back.
    When it went again, up the ladder, hose on LNB, signal back.
    Where it varied was whether it was fine or cloudy.
    They live in Lithgow and that climatically isnt that different to canberra.
    Even though it hasnt been that hot yet even in Canberra, that could be the cause.

PayTV uses both Vertical and Horizontal transmissions now so thats why you cant run 2 STB's off one dish now without getting a dual out LNB or a special switching box for 3 plus.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    If it was happening everyday at around the same time as was happening to a friend, you could blame the SUN !!!. His LNB was overheating when the Sun was directly behind the LNB.
    Normally the sun only plays a part as it crossed the ecliptic and celestial equator, during the equinox's.

I used to notice this when playing Ku and C band analog, way back when Jesus was a pup. Not as apparent with digital transmissions these days.

Premium Member

Thanks

Porkop, I know that and thats where I made a serious mistake with my previous reply. In this case it was when the sun hit the broadest part of the LNB case, not directly behind it as I first said. It was the Austar Tech who told my friends that this was causing the LNB internals to overheat and stop working untill it cooled down.
    I worded my previous very poorly and certainly incorrectly, it was when the sun as it rose, shone on the flat back of the LNB due to its skew angle.
    Before and after that period each day, it worked perfectly.
    Another thing too was that this happened not in the summer period but from memory around Spring as the weather was warming up.
    The LNB was changed and untill it was replaced in recent times with a dual outlet, it worked normaly.
    Sorry about the earlier misinformation.

Thanks

I've had a problem with the LNB dropping out in the heat before. But it was only in the middle of summer on 35-40degree days. For a while there i had the LNB wrapped in tea towel that i would hit it with the hose on *really* hot days and the cooling would bring the signal back. Can't imagine it would happen at this time of year though.

p.

Premium Member

Thanks

with electronics, who knows??
    Why does one off the same assembly line,identical components fail and another cant be stopped with a sledgehammer !!
    There are variances in everything, maybe these 2 are the 'Lemons' of the breed..................

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (02-07-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

If there's a crook solder joint in the LNB, it may be affected by expansion/contraction with heating/cooling. eg: sometimes making contact, other times breaking contact.

Thanks

I am having the exact problem! Every Saturday my signal goes, and I get F100 no signal.

Weird.

Thanks

Well, last Saturday I eagerly waited in front of the TV for the signal to go. I waited until 11:45, before calling Foxtel and advised them not to bother with sending out the tech, as it was working and there was no point in the tech coming.

Not sure what happened, but last Saturday in Canberra it was raining, so not to sure about the heat comments being made. It hasn't happened since, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it happens on Saturday again. If the signal goes, I'll try the old hosing down the dish and see if that works.

Thanks for all your responses guys, much appreciated.

Thanks

Default same problem...

I have the same problembut its not the LNBF and not the cable...
    I have another box in another room the same so I took it over and used the same cable and ofcourse the same lnbf and it worked only this other box does not pickup the satelite signal and my guess is the tuner is blown inside the unit.

i even cleaned the card sim chip with alcohol and ried again nothing happened...

it has to be the box and foxtel people are comming to pick it up tomorrow but they say if its not faulty they charge us money...but in my case it has to be the box...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by babaki View Post
    I have another box in another room the same so I took it over and used the same cable and of course the same lnbf

and it worked only this other box does not pickup the satelite signal and my guess is the tuner is blown inside the unit.

If one STB gives Pics & the other STB does not on the Same LNB & Cable

it looks like one of the STB's has a problem....

are you using any splitters, in the cabling....these sometimes cause problems
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 02-07-11 at 08:20 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast