Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Foxtel will launch 30 new channels in $50 million pay-TV revamp

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Foxtel will launch 30 new channels in $50 million pay-TV revamp

This is the latest from Foxtel officially in regards to what they are doing.

The Daily Telegraph
    September 29, 2009 08:58am

* Some channels to go HD
    * Foxtel subscription prices to go up

FOXTEL will launch 30 new channels, new movie and high-definition services and give away digital video recorders next month as part of a $50 million pay-TV revamp to be announced today.

The company will also launch an online TV and movie download service that will be free to existing subscribers.

Foxtel sales and product development executive director Patrick Delany said the new channels, to be delivered by the Optus D3 satellite launched last month, would begin on November 15.

The new offerings include standard-definition channels aimed at women and children, a murder mystery channel and an ad-free station called Kids Co.

New movie channels would include Showtime Drama, Showtime Comedy and Family Movie Channel, as well as high-definition offerings Showtime Action HD and Starpics HD.

Mr Delany said the Starpics movie channel was devoted to showing blocks of movies from one actor or actress.

Other Foxtel channels to go HD include all three Fox Sports channels, as well as UKTV, Showcase and Fox8.

Foxtel would include iQ digital video recorders with its new subscriptions at no ongoing charge, he said.

"What we're doing is that we've transitioned from analog to digital, digital to high-definition, and now we're transitioning into a new era of hard-drive media," he said.

Other changes to Foxtel will include improved iQ and iQ2 menus, enabling users to view a wall of 200 movie and TV posters with recording suggestions and to search existing recordings.

The company will also launch a Foxtel Download service from Thursday that will let subscribers legally download and watch up to 400 hours of movies and TV shows on their PCs.

Fusion Strategy media analyst Steve Allen said Foxtel was smart to launch new HD channels as they had proven a strong lure for TV subscribers in the US.

But he said while the new launches might attract new subscribers, they might not convince existing subscribers to watch more Foxtel content.

"There is research that shows once you get past 80 or so channels new channels make no difference to viewership," Mr Allen said.

"Adding more and more channels is not a particularly valuable driver in itself," he explained.

The price of Foxtel subscriptions will grow, with top-of-the-range packagse increasing from $131 per month to $135.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (29-09-09)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Another report :

SYDNEY, NSW: Foxtel has this morning announced a raft of new channels and features. Additionally, the pay TV service provider will be giving every new subscriber an iQ hard disk recorder for free. This move is yet another broadside at the PVR market, and the struggling TiVo device in particular.

The new channels, which will commence airing on 15 November, are LifeStyle You (self help programming), 13th Street (murder mysteries), the Style Network (fashion and beauty), Showtime Action, Showtime Comedy, Showtime Drama, Starpics (movies dedicated to one actor), FMC (family movies), Kids Co, Eurosport, Discovery Turbo Max and Nat Geo Wild.

The biggest new feature announced this morning is a new download service available from this Thursday 1 October. Foxtel subscribers will be able to log onto Foxtel’s website and download programs from 38 different channels. This includes TV shows, movies and sporting events.

This service is especially critical in the ongoing battle between Foxtel and TiVo. The much-publicised “media centre” was investing much of its potential in its download and catch-up TV offering. With Foxtel now coming over the top with a more diverse and better featured product, TiVo will be very concerned about its long term viability. Current.com.au has repeatedly called TiVo boss Robbee Minicola for comment on this issue – she has not returned our calls.

In order to secure the PVR market for itself, Foxtel will be giving its iQ boxes away for each new subscriber. There are a number of new packages for consumer to choose from, or customers can get the full package, which includes two free Box Office movies per month, for $120 (traditional) or $135 (HD).

It looks like the full package is jumping from $106 to $120 for standard. Thats getting pricey for some people I think.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (29-09-09)

Banned
    Thanks

Thumbs down these showtime channels made here are they my god pathetic

i see foxtel still has showtime made here its utter garbage its a joke pathetic actually my god on my movie list in the usa i dont see no showtime action etc its just a pathetic renaming of channels there got. ,they should get rid of the comedy channel and replace it with comedy central usa. as i said these are all channels that theyve got just new showtime names the only ones on my list is showtime east and west. ,my friend in the usa tells me theres no such thing as showtime action etc ,they should have got rid of the movie network and put starz and hbo and hbo signature and hbo cinemax in there place .also eurosport is welcome theres no australian content aloud on that thankgod also they want to get rid of ausmark from this new line up ,thanks hamguy2 nsw

• The Following User Says Thank You to hamguy2 For This Useful Post:

urban_s0ulja (29-09-09)

Thanks

When their customers will be paying over $120 per month, for Foxel to boast about "giving away" a receiver is no different to a credit card company "giving away" a $5000 increase in credit limit. Customers accept it at their peril.

In recent years both Foxtel and Austar have had to offer contract-free deals to lure new customers, but the seduction of a "Free PVR" (that they'll never own) may trick some into signing lock-in contracts. Those who do had better pray that doesn't affect them, as it . It's such a concern that even the Pay TV companies themselves have had to in their marketing.

Most people, when the credit card statement arrives in the mail, if they discover they've been stung for $120 or $135 in interest they'll curse and immediately pay off as much as they can! In times of job insecurity and rising interest rates it's a brave man who says "whatever, I'll lock that in for twelve months in return for extra TV channels".

• The Following User Says Thank You to gw1 For This Useful Post:

BlackDuck (03-10-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

$120/month is a lot. Without trying to spruik, Select TV plus the freeview offering has to start looking attractive at those prices. GO is so like TV1 it's not funny and there is so much sport with 7, 10 and OneHD.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (29-09-09),enf (30-09-09),Godzilla (29-09-09),OSIRUS (29-09-09)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gw1 View Post
    When their customers will be paying over $120 per month, for Foxel to boast about "giving away" a receiver is no different to a credit card company "giving away" a $5000 increase in credit limit. Customers accept it at their peril.

In recent years both Foxtel and Austar have had to offer contract-free deals to lure new customers, but the seduction of a "Free PVR" (that they'll never own) may trick some into signing lock-in contracts. Those who do had better pray that doesn't affect them, as it . It's such a concern that even the Pay TV companies themselves have had to in their marketing.

Most people, when the credit card statement arrives in the mail, if they discover they've been stung for $120 or $135 in interest they'll curse and immediately pay off as much as they can! In times of job insecurity and rising interest rates it's a brave man who says "whatever, I'll lock that in for twelve months in return for extra TV channels".
    Really /
    are you on the whacky tabackky today?

People who can afford the full package get it, other choose lesser packages.

hmm, i can get a credit card increase and i need them to give me the card so i can utuilise the credit.
    Foxtel give me a PVR so i can watch the stations, let me see. They pay for the right to have a STB that lets me see the channels they broadcast, of course they are going to cover their costs in my monthly account.

FFS people, they are in business to make money, if you don't like it watch the ABC. It's free
    If that's not good enough go and read a book.
    iam a bogan

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mate For This Useful Post:

cjcrow (29-09-09),nando (29-09-09)

Thanks

Agreed!!

If you like Foxtel, get it! If you don't like Foxtel, don't get it!
    If you don't wanna pay the extra, then don't get the extra channels.

All these people whinge and complain, but if you don't like Foxtel, then cancel your service.

I'm happy with what I have and what I pay, I'm not on platinum but would gladly pay $2, $3 or even $10 more a month to receive a few extra channels.

I might not watch them all, and if I don't I'll just downgrade my package!!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjcrow For This Useful Post:

enf (01-10-09)

Thanks

Here's the new cost sheet

* Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bambbbam For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (29-09-09),Hillsbysa (30-09-09),ssrattus (29-09-09)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Im a little confused here
    on the platinum plan with sandard stb for about 110
    do i get a iq in this upgrade?

Thanks

and that's not all!!

Al Jazeera to be on Austar, but nor Foxtel? C'mon Uncle Rupe - pull your finger out of your fat US arse

* Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cjcrow View Post
    Agreed!!

If you like Foxtel, get it! If you don't like Foxtel, don't get it!
    If you don't wanna pay the extra, then don't get the extra channels.

All these people whinge and complain, but if you don't like Foxtel, then cancel your service.

I'm happy with what I have and what I pay, I'm not on platinum but would gladly pay $2, $3 or even $10 more a month to receive a few extra channels.

I might not watch them all, and if I don't I'll just downgrade my package!!
    While I agree that if you want it then get it etc.... The issue I have is I was happy with the old $80 month. It was then the full set of channels (inc adults only). Then when I got a price hike for the +2 channels and a few others, but I did not get them; I mean the reason for the increase was because they were on offer. To get them I had to pay more again. Next thing I new I was paying over $100 to have access to the channels I wanted (which I was only paying $80 prior to the change). So i started to drop off some channels to cut costs, but lost some of the channels I wanted.

What I can see now, is that the price will go up again even if you dont get the new channels. The move to HD will require I spend even more to get the HD box.... so again its more money for nothing, then more again if you want to get access to the new channels.

I would be more then happy if it was only pay more for the new stuff, and keep the old stuff as is, but I guess thats not change....

If I have to pay more, then give ME the HD box for free. As a long time loyle customer, why dont I get the free stuff. It reminds me of when the give the movie channels for free for a month. Since thats the main reason I have it, I already pay for it. But did I get a discount... NO.

I think they need to throw a bone to the existing customers once and a while.

One idea... for every X months of membership, give a free month....

Thanks

i used to pay 75¢ a litre for petrol. Geez & haven't i bought heaps of it over the years.
    How come they don't give it to me for free these days.
    iam a bogan

Thanks

Ok from what i gather Foxtel are not forcing anyone to go HD. It is only worthwhile if you have a screen capable of processing a 720p image. If you don't have a HD telly, then keep your money. It's your option.
    iam a bogan

Thanks

I kinda think you missed my point.
    IF they are giving something away, give something back to the loyle customers. This does not mean the should give anything away, just that they should not forget those that have kept them in business.
    The 2nd point was things are moving to HD, it looks like some new channels will be HD only. Again, this is fine, if you want the channel, then pay for it and upgrade as needed. My point is, dont make me pay for the service if I dont want nor get it. But it sounds like every sub is going up as they make the new channels available....

If my sub goes up by more then $5 I will be dropping more packages. When I no longer can watch what I want, I will drop the service.

The key point to the "give away" was the fact the NEW customers get the better stb for free, while an existing customer will need to pay for it if they want it. To compare to your petrol example... if you are a new customer to the petrol station, they will give your car a free service, but if you have been buying your petrol from there for years... screew you, you get nothing...

I have no issue with inflation. I have no issue with me needing to pay more if there is more on offer. I just seem to be in the demographic that cant seem to catch a break anywhere and "It Dont Seem Right".....

OK my winge over....

Thanks

you obviously don't understand 'marketing your product' for a better return.
    Ok they give movies free for a month to people who do not have them to tempt them to take up the add on package the next month, thus earning more money.
    You already pay what they want you to, why give you anything special, unless it is going to earn them extra money.
    It is logistically costly to do these things, staff trained in whats going on. etc They are spending money to eventual make money.
    iam a bogan

Thanks

any news on the FTA channels like ONE and GO,are they going to be on the satellite?

I really want ONE dont really care about the other channels,as I dont want to be switching STB everytime F1 is on.

Thanks

I do understand marketing... You also need to keep you existing customers happy or they will leave. ISPs are finding that out now.

Where I live, more people are dropping pay tv then taking it up. The ones I talk to are leaving because they feel that fox/austar are not proving a service, simply trying to make as much off them as they can. Most people I know are happy to pay a little more if the FEEL they are getting value.

Any business model must include both increasing market share as well as holding market share. You cant expect to hold or increase if you existing customers are leaving.

Thanks

Why do you all think whiteys are becoming more popular most recently......... who wants to pay $130 per month?

Thanks

what I can't understand is for those who get austar why they should have to pay for aljazeera when it is free. seems a bit rough those of you
    Last edited by efab; 30-09-09 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbabi View Post
    any news on the FTA channels like ONE and GO,are they going to be on the satellite?

I really want ONE dont really care about the other channels,as I dont want to be switching STB everytime F1 is on.
    No news yet.. and no new FTA's have appeared during testing either.

Go-live date for the new channels is Nov 15 so still some time to go. Presumably agreements have yet to be reached on rebroadcast of those channels.

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast