Thread: Aurora LNB changeover?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Aurora LNB changeover?

I was curious if any installers who have done any Aurora installations recently, if they are still using the 11300 lnb or instead the 10700 as used by Paytv because of any suggestions or directions from Optus for 'Future Proofing' or simply because those are now becoming the norm ?

My thoughts were that if at present, there were no plans to 'shift' the Aurora channels from C1, then there would be no need to consider a replacement program.
    However as we all well know from past experiences, just because blank looks and total silence is the current situation, that doesnt mean that without any notice , everything can get thrown out the window and a whole new game begins.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 03-10-09 at 02:53 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Talking Does not compute.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I was curious if any installers who have done any Aurora installations recently, if they are still using the 11300 lnb or instead the 10700 as used by Paytv because of any suggestions or directions from Optus for 'Future Proofing' or simply because those are now becoming the norm ?

My thoughts were that if at present, there were no plans to 'shift' the Aurora channels from C1, then there would be no need to consider a replacement program.
    However as we all well know from past experiences, just because blank looks and total silence is the current situation, that doesnt mean that without any notice , everything can get thrown out the window and a whole new game begins.

G'Day gordon,
    Your hypothesis does not stand up to analytical reasoning.
    If, for no other reason, a 10700 is all that's needed for any Optus Satellite installation, why should he carry duplicate stock?????

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

I just use 10700's for everything. As beer4life said, why have 10700's for pay installations, and than 11300's for Aurora installations? Anyway, 10700's are easier to buy for most people than 11300's. Also, just a small bit of future-proofing (without Universal LNB complications) never goes astray.
    Last edited by big mick000; 03-10-09 at 04:33 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

This what I was curious about, had there been any directions or sugestions of a NEED to go 10700 or was it simply happening on current installations because the 10700 is becoming the 'Industry Standard' by virtue of 'One Does All'.
    If I was an installer, I would be using old stock (11300) on hand but when re ordering, it would be 10700 and I certainly wouldnt be carrying both types of LNB's unless it was an absolute stipulation for a specific installation.
    I am sure none of you are willing to waste money carrying any more stock than you need to furfill your current anticpated needs and certainly not anything superseded.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

10700 as standard for my installations.

Also, there is a growing trend with people taking their Foxtel/Austar box whilst travelling, so it's convenient that both portable and home LNB's are the same, with no changes to the LNB menu required.

There may also be some juggling being done at a later date with the new state-based FTA channels V Aurora, and as these new services will most likely be on D3, a 10700 LNB will be required.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

viewer (04-10-09)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    10700 as standard for my installations.

Also, there is a growing trend with people taking their Foxtel/Austar box whilst travelling, so it's convenient that both portable and home LNB's are the same, with no changes to the LNB menu required.

There may also be some juggling being done at a later date with the new state-based FTA channels V Aurora, and as these new services will most likely be on D3, a 10700 LNB will be required.
    How much I hope the part about the 'State Based FTA' comes to pass.
    This was what I was thinking of when I posted this question to see if there were any 'rumbling's' within the industry that although nobody knows anything and no policy exists, be prudent and like the wise virgins, use the 10700 now instead of later.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I'm always waiting for mtv to give us these tit bits of information, as we never seem to see anything else mentioned anywhere.....we are all waiting waiting waiting...thanks mtv

Thanks

I'd be using 10700 for IS8's replacement too.
    5th Wyking Panzer Division

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    This what I was curious about, had there been any directions or sugestions of a NEED to go 10700 or was it simply happening on current installations because the 10700 is becoming the 'Industry Standard' by virtue of 'One Does All'.
    If I was an installer, I would be using old stock (11300) on hand but when re ordering, it would be 10700 and I certainly wouldnt be carrying both types of LNB's unless it was an absolute stipulation for a specific installation.
    I am sure none of you are willing to waste money carrying any more stock than you need to furfill your current anticpated needs and certainly not anything superseded.
    They dont make any mention on the official Optus Aurora webpage of any particular LNB that should be used , just that an LNB is required. So realistically installers can use whatever they want. I would have no doubt that some would be using 11300's if they were cheaper

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

It's never safe to assume but if optus were planning a move to d3 you would think that there would be an announcement to the effect that all new dish installs would require the 10700 lnb. Having said that they can do whatever they like I guess, although it would mean more complaints if/when people have to buy a new card and then a few months later have a new lnb installed. If they don't advertise lnb swaps at the same time as cards swaps I would guess that the aurora services won't be moving.

Premium Member

Thanks

Just suppose there was to be either a card swap or LNB change or both, is there any guarantee that both would be handled by the same section of Optus or is it more likely to be two entirely seperate divisions who havent a clue what or why the changes are occuring ??
    Based on past performances, nothing would surprise me less for them to be still issuing one card untill Friday close of business and on Monday, tell you that card is now obsolete and a new one is needed.
    Whats the odds that you can still sign up for Foxtel or Austar on the current plans without being told that major changes are occuring within the next few weeks?
    I think many companies subscribe to the Basil Fawlty Business Creedo of believing that their business's would be better if they didnt have to deal with customers.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

As for Aurora and the 'new' yet to be confirmed details of the FTA state-based blackspot sat service... Optus have nothing whatsoever to do with LNB changeovers, other than to advise if a specific type will be required for D3 services. eg: 10700 or universal.

LNB changovers/maintenance for Aurora have always been the responsibility of the equipment owner.

I doubt Aurora services will migrate to D3, but will stay as they are on C1 for a lengthy period once the new blackspot service on D3 is operational, then be phased out.

Anything can happen, as none of this is set in concrete, so to speak.

There is even talk of the FTA blackspot services being delivered via the FTA Foxtel channels, but this will be an issue for decoders and encryption methods.

Just another example of how the federal govt announces things first, before knowing how they can deliver.

There is still no official word yet from Sen Conroy on these issues.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

mkhannah (04-10-09),Smacca (07-10-09)