Thread: Al Jazeera/ Eurosport in foxtel boquet

Thanks

Default Al Jazeera/ Eurosport in foxtel boquet

Been rescanning c1/d3 lately.

* I already reported that Al Jazaeera now comes up under the "Foxtel" boquet. Still FTA, no EPG. No more entering pids though. I know that it will form part of the Austar basic passage come November but interesting to note it is in the foxtel boquet now. I wonder whether this means there are plans for Foxtel to offer the channel or whether it is just a logistical requirement of austar offering it? Anyone?

* If you have a vald nd5 sub and 3rd party box, you might want to take a look at Eursport on 11886 V ... Seems to be running already.

Anyone spotted any other of the *new* channels that are actually running? Seems Eurosport is the only one i can find so far.

p.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to poiuytrewq For This Useful Post:

networkD (18-10-09)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I have a ligit pox sub (bluey), does this mean I can pick up eurosport in a 3rd party box?

Thanks

Not yet I don't think..
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    Not yet I don't think..
    Working here. Depends what box/ config/ sub package you have i guess.

p.

Banned
    Thanks

i can see at least 4 new chanals but i just lost 26

Thanks

Ahh your are correct.. I seem to have read that he had a legit box.. my mistake!
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poiuytrewq View Post
    * I already reported that Al Jazaeera now comes up under the "Foxtel" boquet. Still FTA, no EPG. No more entering pids though. I know that it will form part of the Austar basic passage come November but interesting to note it is in the foxtel boquet now. I wonder whether this means there are plans for Foxtel to offer the channel or whether it is just a logistical requirement of austar offering it? Anyone?
    It in no way implies that Foxtel will ever add it to their own boxes. There are only 2 bouquets on C1/D3, Optus and Foxtel. Austar just uses the Foxtel one and needs it to allow any channel to be scanned into ther boxes.
    Now that Austar will have it and many subs will be exposed to it in their channel lineup there is added pressure for Fox to also show it since it's no longer hidden. But I still expect the politics to override any sensible choice at Foxtel.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

According to the Foxtel line up, Al Jazerra is NOT shown in their new channel listings but it is for Austar in the basic package.
    Thats not to say its not there, I just cant see it.
    Eurosport for Austar is part of the sports package along with Fox sports, 1,2&3 etc.

I must disagree with Davmel on one point about who show what as Foxtel has had BBC knowledge for some time but not Austar.
    Many times in the past Foxtel has had channels that were not shown on Austar for many months and all the pressure in the world wont shift them if they arent prepared to add them to their line up untill they are ready.
    After all, what threat can a viewer bring to spur them to show these channels ?, threaten to disconnect as you cant swap companies as they wont cross the 'line in the sand' ??
    I am sure that would make them shiver in their uuugh boots
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-10-09 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I must disagree with Davmel on one point about who show what as Foxtel has had BBC knowledge for some time but not Austar.
    BBC Knowledge was a completely different situation. Until now Austar refused to sign to the commercial terms and costs the BBC were charging for access to their revised channels after they took full ownership of them over a year ago. Foxtel were satisfied with the cost but Austar wasn't so they didn't get access to the extra channels, only the old UKTV which was covered by a different old contract.
    Al Jazeera is completely different as it's free.

Also, don't forget that for Foxtel to show the channel is a more complex process than that for Austar. Austar only need to have it added to the satellite bouquet but Foxtel have to manually add it to their cable network multiplexes which does come at a cost for Foxtel. I'm sure if Foxtel was satellite only there would be no extra issues other than politicial/personal ones preventing in being shown.
    Last edited by satdancer; 18-10-09 at 08:13 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Your right re costs davmel but even tho Al Jazeera may not charge for anyone to broadcast the channel , Foxtel may want to charge them a fee for adding to their listings and they may not want to do it.
    What I mean here is that even 'Free' costs money to be 'Free' in electricity,operators etc.
    I have no idea what Optus charges Foxtel and Austar to broadcast but if I was setting fees, it would be a per channel fee.
    Basicaly if you had 100 channels on 10 transponders (10 per transponder) thats how I would base my fees and if you found a way to add another 1, 2 or 10 into that package, I would want my share as you are selling those extra channels to customers and I want my share.
    Of course its possible certain other attitudes or considerations are preventing this program being added.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-10-09 at 08:33 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Your right re costs davmel but even tho Al Jazeera may not charge for anyone to broadcast the channel , Foxtel may want to charge them a fee for adding to their listings and they may not want to do it.
    Oh, yes, Foxtel do want to charge them.

Al Jazeera pays Optus for transponder space rental. That's it. They don't pay Austar any extra. It's not an issue for Austar.
    It wouldn't cost Foxtel any extra to provide it to satellite customers only.
    But Foxtel doesn't provide channels only to sat customers. If it was to add Al Jazeera onto the cable platform then Al Jazeera would have to pay the cost of doing so. I don't see Al Jazeera paying for broadcast on the cable platform for the same reason that all FTA networks don't want to pay for transponder space on the sats.

Premium Member

Thanks

I am not suggesting that Al Jazeera is biased or reports what suits them as when I have seen their programming it has been on a par with BBC and the US news channels but you would think Foxtel would have it as they should have a larger slice of the population with affiliations to Al Jazeera's country of origin than Austar would, even if they had to come to some pay arrangements.

I can easliy understand the FTA broadcasters disinterest in paying transponder fees except for relays because that isnt their target audience and I dont think advertisers would be willing to pay to reach an audience who cant access their product.
    This is one of many hurdles needed to be solved for regional Australia to be able to get FTA Digital TV via satelitte..

Thanks

You can discuss costs and leases and all that other stuff.. but what it comes down to is this: Rupert's political views do not align with Al-Jazeera's.

Premium Member

Thanks

You may be right but had you said he didnt want the competition I would go along with that but I think it is a bit of an assumption to make the claim that the reason Foxtel dont appear to be listing it is due to political bias.
    Austar is a very poor relative in the Foxtel/Telstra/Austar mix and if anyone could be swayed, politicaly or commercialy, it would be Austar and Murdock has the 'Deep Pockets' to be able to sway a 50 story building, let alone Austar.

Thanks

So whose decision was it to originally hide the channel and why?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_dinAlt View Post
    So whose decision was it to originally hide the channel and why?
    So you want a political discussion?

Ever wondered if Foxtel/Murdoc has made political $ contributions along the way?

How about we make this channel hard for Aussies to tune into mate so you the Govt can feed what ever crap you want down the throats of the Aussie public.

Freedom of speech is there.....its just hard to access if you don't know how.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 20-10-09 at 08:15 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (20-10-09),sat 49 (20-10-09)