Thread: Foxtel IQ2 Installation Process

Thanks

Default Foxtel IQ2 Installation Process

Hi All,

I'm interested in IQ2 for the home and you guys have more knowledge than asking some guy at the local shopping centre......Anyway, if I have one STD box do two cables come from the the dish (Dual LNB) to the STD box or as it is now presently have two cables from the LNB to a multi-switch and then one cable to the STD box....BUT, if I decide to have multiple STD boxes in the house, garage, etc...do they have to run "two cables" to each STD box...or again two to a "multi switch" and then single cable to different parts of the house...

I'm trying to establish if with the new IQ 2 services and Hor and Ver channels and added services, do they work for each individual box or through a multi-switch...

thanks in advance for answers....

MarkS

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

There's a few of ways of doing it.

If you only had one IQ or IQ2, then a dual LNB with two cables to the box is fine.

A quad (four) LNB can service 4 single standard boxes, or two IQ or IQ2 boxes (or a combination of standard/IQ).

The other option is a dual LNB to a multiswitch, then running whatever cabling is required to each box from the multiswitch.

If it's a single-tuner standard box, then a single cable is all that's required.
    If it's IQ or IQ2, you require two cables to each box.

There are various models of multiswitches, so you'll require one with sufficient output ports for the number of outlets/boxes required.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Multi Twin Tuner STBs.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm interested in IQ2 for the home and you guys have more knowledge than asking some guy at the local shopping centre......Anyway, if I have one STD box do two cables come from the the dish (Dual LNB) to the STD box or as it is now presently have two cables from the LNB to a multi-switch and then one cable to the STD box....BUT, if I decide to have multiple STD boxes in the house, garage, etc...do they have to run "two cables" to each STD box...or again two to a "multi switch" and then single cable to different parts of the house...

I'm trying to establish if with the new IQ 2 services and Hor and Ver channels and added services, do they work for each individual box or through a multi-switch...
    thanks in advance for answers....
    MarkS
    G'Day Cobber,
    The basic setup is with two cables from a Twin/Dual Output LNB to one twin tuner STB. To get more Twin Tuner outlets, you would need a Multiswitch with twice the number of outlets as STBs with two cables going to each.
    You could of course just run single cables to each STB, but this does not give Twin Tuner functionality.
    You do get H & V polarity on every outlet. In other words each tuner on individual boxes is capable of all channels H & V independent of the other.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

So, my standard Foxtel setting with dual LNB to a multi-switch to the STB would have to completely change???....as the dual LNB is ok...but with multi-switch has dual in (V/H) but single out...or is it that it is dual in to the multiswitch and two cables out on two outlets from the multi-switch...

I'm I clear....dual cables into the multi-switch....using two ports to the same STB box out will be ok for IQ 2...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    So, my standard Foxtel setting with dual LNB to a multi-switch to the STB would have to completely change???....as the dual LNB is ok...but with multi-switch has dual in (V/H) but single out...or is it that it is dual in to the multiswitch and two cables out on two outlets from the multi-switch...

I'm I clear....dual cables into the multi-switch....using two ports to the same STB box out will be ok for IQ 2...
    What multiswitch do you have?

Yes, you need a dual LNB with both cables from the LNB going into the multiswitch. This provides independent H & V.

If you are using IQ/IQ2 boxes, then you will need two separate cables from the multiswitch to each IQ/IQ2 decoder. eg: 3 IQ/IQ2 boxes, you'll require a multiswitch with a minimum of 6 outputs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink How the multiswitch works.

The two inputs on the MS are supplied 18V & 13V for H & V.
    This is generated internally by the MS from the 18 and/or 13V from the STBs.
    So the LNB has one output made H and the other V.
    This does not change regardless of what the STBs are doing.
    Each STB can select H or V internally on each input from the MS.
    The STBs switch the MS internally, but have no effect on the LNB.
    It must be emphasised that the STBs do not alter the voltage output from the MS to the LNBs.