Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backing up Austar and terrestrial HD recordings - equipment.

Thanks

Question Backing up Austar and terrestrial HD recordings - equipment.

Hi all,
    I'm about to get a full hd lcd tv and subscribe to austar.
    What I'd like to do is to record programs both from hd terrestrial and hd austar channels. The problem is, what equipment shoud I get?
    Austar comes with the mystar hd set top box,to backup recordings from which, I read, is not so easy, the only option being connecting it to an external capture device via composite, possibly needing a video stabilizer to remove macrovision protection.
    However, even if possible, would this preserve the hd quality of recordings through composite? Another option could be a capture device with hdmi input connected to the mystar's hdmi output? I wonder if there is any on the market. Also, the tv i'm going to get has RCA video/audio output, but same question: does it preserve hd signal or does it downgrade it?

I think a dvd recorder is not a good option, since the dvd format is not hd.

A blueray recorder is far too expensive.

So, it comes down to either a pc/mac capture device (but what sort of inputs do I need to keep hd quality?) or a pvr which is able to record from an external source and not only from its built in hd tuner. Do you guys know of any equipment that would serve this purpose? Additionally, unless the rca output of my telly supports hd signal, to record and backup hd terrestrial my only option would be to get a pc/mac (both are laptops) capture device with built in hd tuner or a combination of an hd enabled capture device and an hd pvr, is that right?

Second problem: how do I then watch my hd recordings on the tv, should i finally get to store them on my pc/mac or an external hdd? no hdmi output on my pc and a mac doesn't have one either. No usb input on the telly either. It only has rca, s-video (mini Din 4 type) and RGB (D-sub) inputs.

Probably the best option would be a pvr with usb output AND input, able to record from on external source (i.e. the mystar hd set top box). Is there such a thing?
    I've read about this model: Yess DVBT 46880
    it does have usb output and input but it doesn't say whether it can record from an external source, and I am afraid it can't backup recording from the mystar hd stb.
    i'm also unsure about the video formats it can play back.
    I also know of Beyonwiz pvrs + LiDiC allowing to do something close to this, but still, I'm not sure about HD (only thing I know is the LiDiC only has RCAs + S-Video connections and records in H.264 format) + not sure if it would allow to record only the channel you are currently watching on the mystar or also previously recorder content from the mystar's hdd.
    I'm going to get a PS3 too. Dunno if that can be of any help to these purposes...

Thank you in advance for a kind reply!
    This whole thing is driving me mad!

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

I use a hauppauge hd pvr for iq2 1080i captures through component.
    Might work with Mystar HD

Thanks

Thanks! That sounds like a good option!

I understand it's very complicated to backup recorded content through the MyStar HD.
    The Hauppauge HD PVR looks like being one of the very few options I have.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't have a built in terrestrial HD tuner or HDD/USB for direct recording to external HDD. Hence, I would have to have it hooked up to the PC for each recording and either get an HD STB to go with for terrestrial recordings or connect it to the TV's RCA outputs, in which case the signal won't be HD anymore.

I've been recommended the Beyonwiz DP-P2 as a good alternative – probably the only option on the market for my purposes by the look of it.
    It's so frustrating there is no way to backup the content of the MyStar HD's HDD in a straightforward and lossless way -I've read of mounting the HDD under Linux etc. but that's a bit beyond me..

I've also come across the Strong 4910 hybrid terrestrial+sat STB with usb recording functionality. Unfortunately, I've read that Austar marry their cards to their MyStar STBs, so I assume I wouldn't be able to use my card with the Strong STB. The only way to get Foxtel in rural VIC instead of Austar would be to get someone in the Foxtel area to subscribe to it, then take the STB to my place, but that's frankly more trouble than it's worth and also breaches the two companies' legal terms, so that's not really an option.

Looks like the Beyonwiz is the only feasible solution for now.

Does anyone have any further idea or suggestion?

Thanks again for your time!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Bluray players have come down markedly in recent times but I have a discerning Video friend who was disapointed with what was recordered on the Bluray discs.
    His Plasma displays an excellent picture and he notices its the age of the material being played that determines playback quality.
    He got one of the 'Die Hard' movies on Bluray and he said the 'upscaling' was not as good as a movie made later and specificaly for HD presentation.
    For that reason he rarely rents and wont buy Bluray because the cost isnt worth it against a standard DVD.
    Much of the stuff being shown on the HD FTA channels isnt made for or broadcast in HD.
    One day I saw a 1941 Black and White comedy on 7/Prime HD in 1080.
    That is HD ?? I dont think so !!!.
    I bought a HDD/DVD recorder/Burner 3 years ago and I am happy with the playback.
    And to be perfectly blunt, you would have to have a realy discernable eye to see the difference your hoping to acheive.
    It reminds me of the fierce debate over the use of $10 an inch with Gold plated connectors Monster cable as against run of the mill elcheapo cables providing 'cleaner/sharper' audio/Video.
    I havent seen the HD channels on Austar (No Sports) but the similcast SD versions looked alright to me to convince me not to pay the $100 Admin fee and the $5 extra a month rental.

Thanks

thanks for your insight.
    mmm.. you surprise me again, McClane!
    i actually have very little experience of HD tv.
    i was just very impressed when, at a friend's, i switched the same FTA channel on his telly (a full hd lcd i think) from the SD to the HD signal (can't remember the channel.. maybe SBS1..)
    i realise that at this stage, other than live events e.g. sports and latest movies, natively hd material is very scarce.. but, you know, i was thinking in the long term
    maybe i can subscribe to Austar HD then downgrade to SD if there is no appreciable difference. However, I would still lose $100 and save only $5 a month.. mumble mumble...

Premium Member

Thanks

I want a WHOLE WALL screen, not a projection screen but the whole wall as a screen, be it Plasma,LCD,LED or 50 million glow worms painting the picture. the Wall is to also be a 'Window' to see outside as well.
    Room size, placement in room and proper ambient lighting also makes a huge difference on viewing too, ie the Home Theatre.
    By all means get your new TV, I dont think you will be sorry but just walk slowly regarding the other things particulary recording. Are you recording for Timeshifting or archiving because I stopped recording everything because unless I sat for month, I never get to see it and everything else.
    I have stuff I recorded 2 years ago on the HDD that I havent seen yet or copied over.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 20-12-09 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks

it's more 'cause I am a back-up maniac.
    if i happen to watch say a movie or a tv series i particularly like, I like to *own* it.
    i might not even watch it ever again, but at least it's in my collection..
    and i can lend stuff to people..
    + at times they air very old stuff they might not air again thereafter, and that's a good enough reason. obviously, i don't need hd recording capability for that

PS
    we are probably not that far away from a wall-window-glowing-worm-screen!
    obviously, it will be locked to prevent backups and married to your estate so you can't take it with you anywhere else, especially if you move from an austar area to a foxtel one or vice versa!

Gee, Australia is really behind much of the rest of the (developed) world when it comes to technologies. I wonder in how many other countries they have mutually exclusive sat providers and cards married to the set top box they come with (with a poor and expensive selection)
    Not to mention capped (slow and expensive) internet connections, locked mobile phones, devices available overseas not marketed in Oz, etc. but I'm going off topic now!
    Last edited by heinza1983; 20-12-09 at 07:38 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

I have done the same for certain shows that are difficult to obtain or as recently sent a copy O/Seas to a friend who may not have this one broadcast there.
    As for marrying the card to the STB I doubt we are exclusive in doing that.
    The only reason others may not be doing this maybe their equipment is older and their software cant handle it.
    As for the rest its a really bad joke but thats one of the many problems faced by a small population as we have.
    There is simply not enough people to gamble on getting a return on the investment made.
    I use Selectv as an example, if it was to really aggressively market its product and have competative programing and prices MAYBE it could force the market, BUT would you put the finance neccassary to engage in a price war?
    If there was money in PayTV, there would be 50 companies lined up to cash in but theres not.

Thanks

Hi,
    if you want to preserve 100% quality, your only option is a third party receiver or HTPC. Copyrights protection of the HD content works in a way that it block recording via digital outputs. Component output however is accessible and is more/less close to digital quality.

Having third party receiver or HTPC computer involves some knowledge how to get the provider card to run on above. I would say this is more for hobbists with a time and commitment

To have HTPC to met your needs you will need HD Sat receiver card(s) and Terrestial TV receiver card(s). Some fanless mboard and video card, nice looking case and lots of patience to make it satisfactory running.
    You will need a software to work with your cards (quie few on the market), card reader and server to read your card so your sat TV software can open scrambled channels

Cheers

Edit: and you need to find out from the other users if Austar card can be shared (1 client), I do not use Austar...
    Last edited by mborkp; 20-12-09 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mborkp View Post
    Hi,
    if you want to preserve 100% quality, your only option is a third party receiver or HTPC. Copyrights protection of the HD content works in a way that it block recording via digital outputs. Component output however is accessible and is more/less close to digital quality.

Having third party receiver or HTPC computer involves some knowledge how to get the provider card to run on above. I would say this is more for hobbists with a time and commitment

To have HTPC to met your needs you will need HD Sat receiver card(s) and Terrestial TV receiver card(s). Some fanless mboard and video card, nice looking case and lots of patience to make it satisfactory running.
    You will need a software to work with your cards (quie few on the market), card reader and server to read your card so your sat TV software can open scrambled channels

Cheers

Edit: and you need to find out from the other users if Austar card can be shared (1 client), I do not use Austar...
    WOW. however enthralled i may be by all these things and no matter how much i've always been excited at the idea of having a 5m dish on my roof just to hunt about sats and channels, it's not something i can afford at the moment

Thanks

Ok, so I'm considering getting the Hauppauge HD PVR at some stage (apparently the only affordable option for saving HD video and 5.1 audio) + a PVR for FTA terrestrial.

Any suggestion for a terrestrial PVR (even without AV inputs – just for HD terrestrial recordings) with USB output to a PC/Mac and/or external HDD and CC/sub (hard or soft) recording capability + possibly USB input for media playback?

Thanks again!

Thanks

Doesn't the Media-star 9100 do both terrestrial and sat?
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heinza1983 View Post
    Ok, so I'm considering getting the Hauppauge HD PVR at some stage (apparently the only affordable option for saving HD video and 5.1 audio) + a PVR for FTA terrestrial.

Any suggestion for a terrestrial PVR (even without AV inputs – just for HD terrestrial recordings) with USB output to a PC/Mac and/or external HDD and CC/sub (hard or soft) recording capability + possibly USB input for media playback?

Thanks again!
    Hi,
    now you confuse me. PVR = Personal Video Recorder.
    What it is the connection to terestial/satelite/cable receivers?
    Different unit.

None of the PVR will record digital HD contents. As I said before, analog is fine, digital... no no.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    Doesn't the Media-star 9100 do both terrestrial and sat?
    The main problem seems to still be the fact that Austar cards can't be used on any STB other then the MyStar HD they come shipped with.
    This defeats the purpose of an otherwise good STB such as the MS 9100.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong... and I'd dearly wish I was wrong on that!!

Thanks

Hi,
    now you confuse me. PVR = Personal Video Recorder.
    What it is the connection to terestial/satelite/cable receivers?
    Different unit.

None of the PVR will record digital HD contents. As I said before, analog is fine, digital... no no.
    Well, ideally I was looking for an all-in-one solution.
    Because there doesn't seem to be one (lack of HD AV inputs, Austar marrying their cards to their STBs etc.) -I actually did see find a solution using a BlackMagic HDMI capture card + an encryption stripper + loads of c**p, just too much trouble and expense- I'm just giving up hopes, considering getting the Hauppauge HD PVR in the future and looking for a relatively cheap solution to solely record FTA HD terrestrial for now -It's going to take me some time to fill up the MyStar HD's HDD anyway (hopefully)-..

I've seen a cheap DGTEC HD PVR via USB HDD at Harvey Norman..
    I might get that one.

BTW, does anyone know if PVRs such as the above, or of any sort, require the HDD to be formatted in FAT32? In which case, because the FAT32 system can't handle files bigger than tot GB, does it mean I would lose bits and pieces of a relatively long show for the PVR needs to create a new file each time the FAT32 file size limit is reached??

Thanks

EDIT: the DGTEC doesn't seem to support scheduled recordings! which makes it useless if i need to be there and press the big red button every time a show starts that I want to record!
    Last edited by heinza1983; 21-12-09 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks

BTW, does anyone know if PVRs such as the above, or of any sort, require the HDD to be formatted in FAT32? In which case, because the FAT32 system can't handle files bigger than tot GB, does it mean I would lose bits and pieces of a relatively long show for the PVR needs to create a new file each time the FAT32 file size limit is reached??
    Hi,
    usually most of the recording software will split your recordings to 4G files (for FAT32). In most cases you can actually tell the software what size splits you want. NTFS will record big files and keep your HD "clear" - 1 show=1 file.

The most flexible box to do what you want will be HTPC in my opinnion.
    I've one and I'm happy with what it can do (everything )

It does not to be very expensive. For a starter you can try on your computer it does not need to be powerfull
    if you have a graphic card which does HD encoding. Cheap nvidia - check the lowest model to be able to do HD, will work nicely.

If you decide on this, post in "other hardware section" and I will gladly help you if you stuck or need any help.

As I said I'm not with Au*star so I don't know about sharing it. However 1 client seems to me possible. Browse the forum, ask the questions maybe some kind member will answer. Make your decision then

Marry Christmas

Thanks

Hi,
    usually most of the recording software will split your recordings to 4G files (for FAT32). In most cases you can actually tell the software what size splits you want. NTFS will record big files and keep your HD "clear" - 1 show=1 file.

The most flexible box to do what you want will be HTPC in my opinnion.
    I've one and I'm happy with what it can do (everything )

It does not to be very expensive. For a starter you can try on your computer it does not need to be powerfull
    if you have a graphic card which does HD encoding. Cheap nvidia - check the lowest model to be able to do HD, will work nicely.

If you decide on this, post in "other hardware section" and I will gladly help you if you stuck or need any help.

As I said I'm not with Au*star so I don't know about sharing it. However 1 client seems to me possible. Browse the forum, ask the questions maybe some kind member will answer. Make your decision then

Marry Christmas
    Thanks,
    I didn't consider a HTPC.
    Frankly, I know nothing about HTPCs!
    Is there any particular model (with inbuilt terrestrial HD tuner) you would recommend capable of all a PVR is capable of?
    I'll restate my needs:

- record HD free to air terrestrial programs

- record ClosedCaptions and/or Subtitles (be it soft- or hard-coded)

- schedule recordings like a PVR

- HDMI output to TV

- optical or digital-coaxial audio output for dolby/dts ecc to AV receiver

- FullHD playback of full hd material

and either of the following:

1. able to record *in HD* (i.e. video 1080i/p and audio in dolby/dts 5.1 etc) off Austar's MyStar HD satellite set top box via HDMI or Component/Composite

2. compatible with the Hauppauge HD PVR which does all mentioned above in number 1.
    HD recording, scheduled recording, CC/sub recording, etc.?

Thank you!

Merry Xmas
    Last edited by heinza1983; 22-12-09 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks

Thanks,
    I didn't consider a HTPC.
    Frankly, I know nothing about HTPCs!
    Is there any particular model (with inbuilt terrestrial HD tuner) you would recommend capable of all a PVR is capable of?
    HD recording, scheduled recording, CC/sub recording, etc.?
    And either able to record off the MyStar HD (in HD, both audio and video) or that would support the Hauppauge HD PVR box?
    Thank you!
    Merry Xmas

Hi,
    please start the new thread in Other Hardware section. That would be more appropriate for HTPC discussion

Thanks

Ok, Thanks.
    Now, some good news and some bad news.
    Good news: looks like the MyStar HD is also a terrestrial FTA HD tuner and PVR (I've just subscribed to Austar and awaiting the box, so I can't really check if this is true right now).

Bad news:
    Does the MyStar HD carry HD video and audio via composite or component to go into the Hauppauge HD PVR? Maybe not!
    Some say it doesn't carry 5.1 audio even over HDMI!!
    Even worse, Hauppauge replied to my e-mail saying my laptop's CPU doesn't meet the PVR's requirements (I also have a MacBook, but I suppose that doesn't really help). Which means I should really consider getting a HTPC which is compatible with the Hauppauge as my best option.

Maybe I'll just see how I go with the MyStar HD and should it ever go full, I'll start looking around for options again.
    My brain needs to take a break now!

Thanks all and have a nice Xmas and happy new year!
    Regards

Thanks

The main problem seems to still be the fact that Austar cards can't be used on any STB other then the MyStar HD they come shipped with.
    I don't think that is true anymore.. was until very recently.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast