Thread: foxtel box in an Austar area

Thanks

Default foxtel box in an Austar area

I have My Star SD at the moment but have a relative in Melbourne with a second foxtel IQ SD that is no longer wanted ( we intend to split the cost and dump the MYstar). Can anyone see any difficulties with swapping the Austar box for the Foxtel. I assume that there is no way that Foxtel can tell where a box is located.
    Regards

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dixons View Post
    I have My Star SD at the moment but have a relative in Melbourne with a second foxtel IQ SD that is no longer wanted ( we intend to split the cost and dump the MYstar). Can anyone see any difficulties with swapping the Austar box for the Foxtel. I assume that there is no way that Foxtel can tell where a box is located.
    Regards
    Can't see any problems. Don't plug in the phone connection and all should be ok. I share an austar box and all is fine.

Youll Never Never Know If You Never Ever GO
    Thanks

Default The Phone Line

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    Can't see any problems. Don't plug in the phone connection and all should be ok. I share an austar box and all is fine.
    If you want to order MOVIES or any Main Event stuff the box will have to be plugged into the phone line.

I ordered a UFC fight on the MAIN EVENT channel a while ago and did not receive the Channel. 5 minutes Before the Fight i called FOXTEL and they advised me to plug the box into the phone line. I told them that i did not have a home phone as such only an Internet connection. They told me it did not matter.

So i went to my neighbors house and borrowed phone Extension cord plugged it in and all was SWEET

Premium Member
    Thanks

if the foxtel box is a satellite box not cable box it will work

Thanks

Good point.

Also you need to make sure the LNB setting is the same, other than that should be all sweet.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dishnit View Post
    If you want to order MOVIES or any Main Event stuff the box will have to be plugged into the phone line.
    I just Order FBO or Main event by Phone, (no phone line needs to be connected then)
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 26-12-09 at 03:41 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I ordered a UFC fight on the MAIN EVENT channel a while ago and did not receive the Channel. 5 minutes Before the Fight i called FOXTEL and they advised me to plug the box into the phone line. I told them that i did not have a home phone as such only an Internet connection. They told me it did not matter.

So i went to my neighbors house and borrowed phone Extension cord plugged it in and all was SWEET
    A phone line is not required to view a main event show. You could plug the receiver in to a toaster , same result. You have been duped by a Foxtel phone monkey speaking crap.

A phone line is not required period - unless you want to order FBO or Main Event via the remote. You can do exactly the same thing with a computer or by making a phone call.

All Foxtel did in your case was send an update via Satellite , not phone line.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dixons View Post
    Regards
    That will all work fine. But should you have any problems post back and I am sure we can get you up and running

Thanks

Cheers for all your advice.Will be collecting the box next weekend, so will let you know if there is any problems. Hopefully the LNB does not need changing. I'm assuming that it is just changing over the two sat cables from the Mystar with the Foxtel IQ and firing up the box.Will be glad to get rid of the Mystar as it has been a pain since day1.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I was reading this and thinking that various reports claim people are going away from the home phone in preference to mobiles so if this is the case, neither Fox or Austar can expect their customers to have a landline based on these surveys.
    I also think the surveys are hot air because landline broadband is still the cheapest of all current options.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I also think the surveys are hot air because landline broadband is still the cheapest of all current options.
    Yes a landline is required for ADSL - doesn't mean one must plug a telephone into it though.

I've not had a home phone for approximately 8 years... never needed it once?!?

Thanks

What about users on Naked DSL like i am they thought it was strange that i did have a phoneline and refused to plug in a phone cable to the box - whats the point when theres no dial tone i asked them about their spiffy Ethernet port on the back of the box and said how about i use that and they said no

Thanks

Do not want to get off topic, would this foxtel remote work on the new HD Austar box?

Youll Never Never Know If You Never Ever GO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    A phone line is not required to view a main event show. You could plug the receiver in to a toaster , same result. You have been duped by a Foxtel phone monkey speaking crap.

A phone line is not required period - unless you want to order FBO or Main Event via the remote. You can do exactly the same thing with a computer or by making a phone call.

All Foxtel did in your case was send an update via Satellite , not phone line.
    Dont think so,
    all they did was to confirm over the phone connection if it was a legitimate card and if the card was Married to that particular BOX, it was THEN that they sent the update via-Satellite.

Selectv has also married the cards to the box, An E-17 error will be present if the card is inserted in a different decoder. I know this to be a fact in QAM Estates. ( I would value Leroypatrol's View on this)

These Carriers in Australia have spent Million's of Dollars to Secure this Infrastructure to provide content. It is only LOGICAL to assume that they will try to Protect it and make sure that they get PAID for what they provide to you.

What i am Pissed about is the fact that in Australia we get Charged an Exorbitant rate for a Satellite Provider Lineup of crappy Channels and SHITTY internet speeds.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Up until about 6 months ago, the only option when using a Foxtel IQ was to order by remote, which meant that it did need to be connected to a phone line,

then Foxtel announced that you could Order FBO & Main event by Phone, with an IQ STB, (FOXTEL Preview e-newsletter l June 2009)

(Call 1300 783 833)

also I have heard that if you order by phone that all the STB's on your account get the program,

also have a look here

so I would suggest to the original poster, that all the STB's should be disconnected from the phone line, & the Foxtel client needs to ring up & book the FBO or main event,
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 27-12-09 at 08:36 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Administrator
    Thanks

Yes , it was recently shown here

Administrator
    Thanks

Dont think so

You didnt seem to believe it when others told you the same in this thread. If you do a search you will find a wealth of information about phonelines and return path and that the majority of people dont have them.