Thread: She'll Be Right Mate!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Default She'll Be Right Mate!

As an aside, it never ceases to amaze me that drink and drugs are talked of as separate entities.

Cheers
    enf
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

The drugs they mentioned are prescription drugs. There are many of us that have to take them and dont really have a choice. I dont drink.....I cant see why they would be categorised as anything similar.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    The drugs they mentioned are prescription drugs. There are many of us that have to take them and dont really have a choice. I dont drink.....I cant see why they would be categorised as anything similar.
    Whoa...hit a nerve...didn't mean to.

I too take prescribed medication and will for life. I also drink sometimes.

My point was that alcohol is a drug just like all the others, and is more insidious than many of its legal and illegal brothers.

Cheers
    enf
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    As an aside, it never ceases to amaze me that drink and drugs are talked of as separate entities.

Cheers
    enf
    Ditto here Enf.

Further amazement occurs on aircraft, Government buildings, even Coles and Woolworths.

In the restrooms there are yellow containers bolted to the walls for users to place their used hypodermic syringes after they shoot up... But no ashtrays.

In NSW if you are caught smoking on a train or even a platform you will be fined, but go to Kings Cross and our labor government has provided a legal premises where you can shoot up Heroin and the police can't touch you.

Maybe if smokers attacked and robbed old ladies, or accosted people on the streets, or burgled houses to get money for their next fag, or under the influence of nicotine glassed someone's face, or at least flicked ash on their shirt, our concerned government could see their way clear to build a nice clean, medically supervised smoking room for nicotine addicts.

Administrator
    Thanks

No nerve hit , but I wouldnt really call it a quality article. While the figures are more than likely accurate the first third of the article engages in the type of journalism that I wouldnt call " very average " at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    How did Australians cope with the financial crisis? We painted on a happy face, popped a few pills then buried our sorrows in booze and junk food.

Retail sales figures released last week by the Australian Bureau of Statistics show we cajoled ourselves through the economic uncertainty of last year by spending up on takeaway food, bottle shop liquor, pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.
    Pharmaceticals is a very broad term which they dont examine , example , are they claiming every one is running around popping prescription drugs ( the quote above would suggest so ) or are we talking an increase in non prescription drugs like paracetamol and aspirin ?

As living to 100 is not unusual these days and we are living longer in an agring population , I would expect that pharmaceutical spending would go up every year. Those on a larger income consider eating takeaway and drinking bottled liquor " cutting back " because they are not restaurant wining and dining.

I just think its a bit of poor sensatialism in all honesty. But thats not uncommon in todays media

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDuck View Post
    Ditto here Enf.

Further amazement occurs on aircraft, Government buildings, even Coles and Woolworths.

In the restrooms there are yellow containers bolted to the walls for users to place their used hypodermic syringes after they shoot up... But no ashtrays.

In NSW if you are caught smoking on a train or even a platform you will be fined, but go to Kings Cross and our labor government has provided a legal premises where you can shoot up Heroin and the police can't touch you.

Maybe if smokers attacked and robbed old ladies, or accosted people on the streets, or burgled houses to get money for their next fag, or under the influence of nicotine glassed someone's face, or at least flicked ash on their shirt, our concerned government could see their way clear to build a nice clean, medically supervised smoking room for nicotine addicts.
    Thats the exact " hook line and sinker " response that the article is meant to get. Unfortunately.

The article didnt mention drugs. Nor did it mention Heroin. It mentioned pharmaceuticals. Of which a basic description is " A pharmaceutical drug, also referred to as medicine, medication or medicament, can be loosely defined as any chemical substance intended for use in the medical diagnosis, cure, treatment, or prevention of disease ".