Thread: GPS from China iGO8. was ok, now dramas

Thanks

Default GPS from China iGO8. was ok, now dramas

Just purchased (from Ebay) a new ... and my first GPS/DVD unit - single DIN, installed it and all was well for a few days and then when Jumped in the 4wd it stated that it could not find the GPS software, played around a little and discovered the default path was /storagecard/NWDSoftware.exe. whilst I browsed the card from the screen I discovered an .exe file called iGO8, so I pointed the unit to that as there was no file called NWDSoftware.exe anywhere on the card and hey presto it worked.

I was thought I was pretty smart (hey all this GPS stuff is new to me) and all was well for about a week, then the problem was re-visited, applied same solution works OK for a while, but now the problem resurfaces every time I start the car.

I figured that perhaps the SD card was dodgy, bought another card, copied the files over ... same problem, I also noticed that with the old card I had to shut the system down, remove and replace the SD card before I could see the directories on the card.

After some searching I found a file called YFAUTORUN.INF in the root, which had the directive "\sdmmc\iGO8\iGO8.exe" in it... ahuh! I will point the path at this .INF file... the unit does not see the .INF file, damn

I was about to change the change the name of the iGO8.exe file to the default NWDSoftware.exe when I stumbled (after much googling) across Hollowman's tutorial / thread which he started in November, so I have applied that to my SD card (the new one) and will try that out tonight when I get home.

Not sure if anyone has had a similar problem however I'm feeling pretty positive that I'm on the road to a fix I just hope its not a fault with the multiple SD contacts in the unit itself, I think this due to the fact that the OS defaults to another path.

Another thing I had thought of was that maybe the unit is losing power from the non-switched supply, as it defaults to the initial setup screen on start up, I checked this out and all seems OK, especially as I went bush on the weekend and the unit was subjected to some rough stuff (about 6 hours worth) and did not fault at all.

I would like to thank Hollowman and all others that contributed to that thread, (which I may add took some reading, but I got thru it all) as it was very informative and I'm a lot more familiar with this GPS stuff as a result.

I will let you know how this went once I have tried it out.
    Last edited by Spacetracker; 12-01-10 at 07:19 PM.
    A wiseman once said judge not and yea shall not be judged !

Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity - Mario Andretti
    All in one from China GPS/DVD ... etc, single din.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

space tracker thank you for your feedback.

NWDSoftware.exe is just a default path/file the system has, but that actual file is not there.

this /NWDSoftware.exe only comes up because your unit is loosing perminent power. did you install the unit yourself or a professional (or are you a professional ? lol) its not your SD card that is the problem ... its possible that there may be a small battery inside the unit that could be dead, so when u turn the car off, it losses settings ?

this happend to me the other day, i accidently killed my battery in the car, so after jump starting my car, every setting went back to default and i got the same /NWDSoftware.exe file show up. The language even defaulted back to chinese, i had to learn chinese really fast to set it back to english lol...

if u need any help post here ...
    Last edited by hollowman; 12-01-10 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spacetracker View Post
    Just purchased (from Ebay) a new ... and

After some searching I found a file called YFAUTORUN.INF in the root.
    Hi you said you have YFautorun.inf..that means your unit is made by YF internetional...if you like you can update the firmware of your unit and see if it will solve your problem.. ..is the link for the firmware upgrade just follow the instructions...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kukuk View Post
    Hi you said you have YFautorun.inf..that means your unit is made by YF internetional...if you like you can update the firmware of your unit and see if it will solve your problem.. ..is the link for the firmware upgrade just follow the instructions...
    Thanks for the info, I will have a crack at that once I get Hollow Man's updated version working.

1) Step Back to yesterday: As unlikely as it seems I believe that the original SD card is what is/was causing my prob, I copied the files from the original SD and created a directory on the new card called OLD, put the original files in there (as I have iGO 8.3 in the root), pointed the unit at the correct path and the system has been working since yesterday morning.
    As a test I shut the unit down inserted the old card, changed the path direction to suit ---- No joy "missing software".

I then took the card out and booted the unit without a card, the boot sequence was identical to having the original SD card in the slot!

2) I am unable to get version 8.3, (Hollow Man's download) it working properly, it boots up OK and asks me to select a language the issue is that the .bmp file it uses to display the screen has the confirm button (or OK button) at the bottom of the screen and out of my screen range.
    In other words the pic is too large for my screen, this is confirmed by the welcome screen on boot which has the bottom 20 or 30 percent not shown, I confirmed this by opening the welcome.bmp on my PC and now at least I know what it looks like.

Well this is all good fun and I like tinkering, I will sort this out once I figure out how to get iGO.exe to point to 480x272 (GJ6.3P.zip) files instead of the 800x480 I assume its using now.

I went into the autoinf file and changed the resolution order (putting the 480x272 up front) .. I don't believe it would be that easy to fix, I'll know when I put the SD back in the 4wd tonight, when I get home.

Standby for more ....

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I will have a crack at that once I get Hollow Man's updated version working.

I went into the autoinf file and changed the resolution order (putting the 480x272 up front) .. I don't believe it would be that easy to fix, I'll know when I put the SD back in the 4wd tonight, when I get home.

Standby for more ....
    try adding to sys.txt

[rawdisplay]
    class="landscape"
    screen_x=480
    screen_y=272

Thanks

what is the res of your unit ?
    you can make igo use the correct res by going into sys.txt and changing the following
    (change it to suite your res)

if these are not in your sys.txt, then add it

[interface]
    skin="ui_igo8"
    resolution_dir="400_240"
    vga=1

[rawdisplay]
    class="landscape"
    highres="1"
    screen_x=800
    screen_y=480

if it does not work, then google "igo8 sys.txt"

Thanks

Thanks to both, my sys.txt didn't have either the interface or the rawdisplay commands.
    i have backed up the original and created a copy with the suggested additions.

I'll let you know how I get on ........ thanks again.

Thanks

Default Been away

Thanks to both, my sys.txt didn't have either the interface or the rawdisplay commands.
    i have backed up the original and created a copy with the suggested additions.

I'll let you know how I get on ........ thanks again.
    Well I stil haven't had a chance to play with the GPS, been away (wokiing) and will get the opportunity to have a play next week (I hope).

I will put results up here ...... just wanted to let you know that I haven't done a runner ... gotta go now.

Thanks

lol, thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
    space tracker thank you for your feedback.

NWDSoftware.exe is just a default path/file the system has, but that actual file is not there.

this /NWDSoftware.exe only comes up because your unit is loosing perminent power. did you install the unit yourself or a professional (or are you a professional ? lol) its not your SD card that is the problem ... its possible that there may be a small battery inside the unit that could be dead, so when u turn the car off, it losses settings ?

this happend to me the other day, i accidently killed my battery in the car, so after jump starting my car, every setting went back to default and i got the same /NWDSoftware.exe file show up. The language even defaulted back to chinese, i had to learn chinese really fast to set it back to english lol...

if u need any help post here ...
    Dear Mr. Holloman,

My problem appaired after a (long) reset > 8 sec.of my GPS car unit, and see; my GPS root was gone.
    It suppose to be working for a Chinees brand car radio HU0407 IBG. Samsung ARM920T processor, NAND FLASH 128 Mb memory. All the files (NWDSoftware ect.) I do have on a just formatted SD card 256 Mb, but what ever I try: the unit wont start up with the installment. Can you please advise me how to handle. Already thank you in advance, Alex Blokker
    Last edited by ablokker; 26-10-10 at 10:13 PM.