Thread: GPS from China iGO8. was ok, now dramas

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default GPS from China iGO8. was ok, now dramas

Just purchased (from Ebay) a new ... and my first GPS/DVD unit - single DIN, installed it and all was well for a few days and then when Jumped in the 4wd it stated that it could not find the GPS software, played around a little and discovered the default path was /storagecard/NWDSoftware.exe. whilst I browsed the card from the screen I discovered an .exe file called iGO8, so I pointed the unit to that as there was no file called NWDSoftware.exe anywhere on the card and hey presto it worked.

I was thought I was pretty smart (hey all this GPS stuff is new to me) and all was well for about a week, then the problem was re-visited, applied same solution works OK for a while, but now the problem resurfaces every time I start the car.

I figured that perhaps the SD card was dodgy, bought another card, copied the files over ... same problem, I also noticed that with the old card I had to shut the system down, remove and replace the SD card before I could see the directories on the card.

After some searching I found a file called YFAUTORUN.INF in the root, which had the directive "\sdmmc\iGO8\iGO8.exe" in it... ahuh! I will point the path at this .INF file... the unit does not see the .INF file, damn

I was about to change the change the name of the iGO8.exe file to the default NWDSoftware.exe when I stumbled (after much googling) across Hollowman's tutorial / thread which he started in November, so I have applied that to my SD card (the new one) and will try that out tonight when I get home.

Not sure if anyone has had a similar problem however I'm feeling pretty positive that I'm on the road to a fix I just hope its not a fault with the multiple SD contacts in the unit itself, I think this due to the fact that the OS defaults to another path.

Another thing I had thought of was that maybe the unit is losing power from the non-switched supply, as it defaults to the initial setup screen on start up, I checked this out and all seems OK, especially as I went bush on the weekend and the unit was subjected to some rough stuff (about 6 hours worth) and did not fault at all.

I would like to thank Hollowman and all others that contributed to that thread, (which I may add took some reading, but I got thru it all) as it was very informative and I'm a lot more familiar with this GPS stuff as a result.

I will let you know how this went once I have tried it out.
    Last edited by Spacetracker; 12-01-10 at 07:19 PM.
    A wiseman once said judge not and yea shall not be judged !

Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity - Mario Andretti
    All in one from China GPS/DVD ... etc, single din.

2. Look Here ->