Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems trying to get 85 cm dish installed

Thanks

Question Problems trying to get 85 cm dish installed

I recently purchased a 85 cm KU band satellite dish and have it in my lounge room. But i couldn't get it installed. Over the past few days I went to several shops like All Bands and All sat in Darwin but they were shut. Today I went to Home Sat in Darwin and they referred me to Austar. But when I saw Austar I was told they cannot help me because I am Deaf and can't hear phone.

I have a dreambox (for FTA) and I have no plans to go to austar. So what can I do?

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by willwalk View Post
    I recently purchased a 85 cm KU band satellite dish and have it in my lounge room. But i couldn't get it installed. Over the past few days I went to several shops like All Bands and All sat in Darwin but they were shut. Today I went to Home Sat in Darwin and they referred me to Austar. But when I saw Austar I was told they cannot help me because I am Deaf and can't hear phone.

I have a dreambox (for FTA) and I have no plans to go to austar. So what can I do?

G'day Cobber,
    you caught me on the hop. Just about to hit the sack.
    We can help you with a DIY installation if that is the way that you would like to go.
    First of all I suggest that you go for a tour around the neighbourhood and get some idea as to the best way to mount your dish. If you do not have the hardware to mount your dish, you will have to decide the best way.
    Perhaps you could post some photos so that we can advise you.
    You'll need a few other odds and ends, but we can work that out for you.
    See you in the morning when you post a little more info.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

One person has a dish on the roof, pointing to the optus c1 / d3 satellite. I only have a dish and long stretch of digital cable but no mount as yet. Is a mount and dish compass all that is required or do i need more? Or is it better to put it on a tripod? Sorry for asking but i am learning.

Thanks

Wink Basic setup for Darwin.

One person has a dish on the roof, pointing to the optus c1 / d3 satellite. I only have a dish and long stretch of digital cable but no mount as yet. Is a mount and dish compass all that is required or do i need more? Or is it better to put it on a tripod? Sorry for asking but i am learning.

Just to add a little more before I hit the Sack.
    You need to set your dish up relatively rigid as it takes very little movement to lose the signal
    You'll need an LNB if there is not one on the dish. Preferably Twin/Dual output 10700 Local Oscillator.
    Have a look here and you can set up your exact location by dragging the pointer. You will then get a visual ground line of site for your selected Satellite as well as Elevation Angle and Skew. A compass is not really necessary.

Kindest Regard, " The Druid ".

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Hey there willwalk,

If you have a mast on your roof for DTV, you can sometimes mount your dish on the same mast but at the base of it. Has to be a very sturdy mast though with ties etc.
    Have 2 dishes mounted this way, both on the one mast, then FM, VHF and UHF antennas above them... Mmmmm plus a WiFi antenna and amp

But if you have just the one 85cm dish and you want FTA, i would really suggest a proper mount and a H-H motor to move your dish to different sats
    Last edited by ol' boy; 21-01-10 at 04:56 AM.

Thanks

Hi Yes the 10700 Local Oscillator LNB comes with the dish. It is single I think, not a twin or dual LNB. Yes I have a outdoor UHF arieal for DTV as well.

Thanks

Wink Planning your Satellite Installation.

Hi Yes the 10700 Local Oscillator LNB comes with the dish. It is single I think, not a twin or dual LNB. Yes I have a outdoor UHF arieal for DTV as well.
    G'Day Cobber,
    I have dispensed with the matchsticks this morning.
    You're well on the way then. Do you have a wall plate to terminate your cable in the room of your choice?
    If so, you can plan your mount and routing the cable to the wall plate.
    Check that the cable length is sufficient. Wont matter if it is a tad too long.
    I suggest some pix where you think you can mount your mast/dish so that we can better advise you.
    You could consider Select TV as a Provider. One of our member has deals on Card Only Subscriptions which are no longer available elsewhere.
    It's a cheaper alternative to Austar and they wont worry that you can't hear the phone. I will look forward to see how you are coping with the info so far and any queries that you may have.

Last edited by beer4life; 21-01-10 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    G'Day Cobber,
    I have dispensed with the matchsticks this morning.
    You're well on the way then. Do you have a wall plate to terminate your cable in the room of your choice?
    If so, you can plan your mount and routing the cable to the wall plate.
    Check that the cable length is sufficient. Wont matter if it is a tad too long.
    I suggest some pix where you think you can mount your mast/dish so that we can better advise you.
    You could consider Select TV as a Provider. One of our member has deals on Card Only Subscriptions which are no longer available elsewhere.
    It's a cheaper alternative to Austar and they wont worry that you can't hear the phone. I will look forward to see how you are coping with the info so far and any queries that you may have.

No I don't have a wall plate at the moment for cable or satelliteTV.

However I got in touch with a different satellite shop and he is happy to do the installation as long as I pay for it.

The process so far has been touch and go but I am getting somewhere.

I'll let you know how things pan out.

William Walker

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

William,

What sat/service are you trying to get?

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    William,

What sat/service are you trying to get?

Leroy
    i am trying to sign up for FTA / pay tv via Foxtel card / subscription on dreambox, and potientally using dreambox as receiver for new regional satellite system. I have a dreambox 500 and I just bought a dreambox HD 800 to get ready for new system if I can.

There's no hint from the local commerical station here in Darwin on if or when Darwin will receive GO! ONE HD and the 3rd channels from all of the commerical stations via Southern Cross, Nine and DDT. The dreambox is being used to view those channels if or when Darwin cannot get them.

And not only doesn't GO! yet exist, ONE HD is not here yet either. DDT HD carries the SC 10 nature loop still today. Unbelievable isn't it but it's true.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I think you will find if you have your paid for foxtel card working in your dm and do a rescan that you will find a few of the GO channels as well as 7,9,10 for three states and 7 two for a couple of states as well

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

As mentioned if you have a foxtel sub you'll get all those channels appart from OneHD

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Would black thick digital cable (with cylinders at both ends) be acceptable for satellite TV from the dish in to the wall plate or would I need thick digital black cable without cylinders at both ends?

Thanks

Wink "RG/58 AU Quad Shield"

Would black thick digital cable (with cylinders at both ends) be acceptable for satellite TV from the dish in to the wall plate or would I need thick digital black cable without cylinders at both ends?
    G'day cobber,
    I've no doubt that you have the correct cable as that is what was previously used. It would have F6 connectors either end.(cylinders)
    More than likely "RG/58 AU Quad Shield" or similar printed along it's length.
    Other cable may be good enough, although more prone to loss.
    Don't be conned into paying an exorbitant price for unwarranted replacement.
    You should use " Self Amalgamating Tape " over the F6 connectors to minimise moisture ingress. This I would consider imperative in the Tropics due to the wide range of humidity.
    Kindest Regards, " the Druid ".

Thanks

G'day cobber,
    I've no doubt that you have the correct cable as that is what was previously used. It would have F6 connectors either end.(cylinders)
    More than likely "RG/58 AU Quad Shield" or similar printed along it's length.
    Other cable may be good enough, although more prone to loss.
    Don't be conned into paying an exorbitant price for unwarranted replacement.
    You should use " Self Amalgamating Tape " over the F6 connectors to minimise moisture ingress. This I would consider imperative in the Tropics due to the wide range of humidity.
    Kindest Regards, " the Druid ".

Yes I used that cable to connect to other TV a few years back. But I took it off and put it in the cabin below my tv last year. Yes it is the same cable that is usd for cable TV, digital TV, and possibly satellite TV, so I should be fine yeah?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

If the ends look similar to the below picture, then you'll be fine.

Last edited by Smacca; 23-01-10 at 04:40 AM.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post

Yep I have that end type as well.

Today I also bought a F type digital /pay tv wall plate (P-2112) outlet. Is the digitor 20m RG6 dual shield coax cable 75 ohm also fine? Are these items also acceptable?

It says it is designed for digital tv and satellite tv? Am I on the right track?

I bought digitor 20 m cable (no cylinders - but still thick digital cable) as backup in case the installater won't accept the first lot of cable.

If so the only thing I don't have is a mount yet. Installation work hasn't started yet but I am getting more organised.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post

If the F-connector is as poorly crimped on the cable as that one. You are in for strife.
    iam a bogan

• The Following User Says Thank You to mate For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (23-01-10)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mate View Post
    If the F-connector is as poorly crimped on the cable as that one. You are in for strife.
    I agree

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

[COLOR=Blue]More than likely "RG/58 AU Quad Shield" or similar printed along it's length.
    Typo?.... RG58 is a 50 ohm comms coax, not suitable for TV.

The most suitable and common type for TV (especially satellite) is RG6 Quadshield) which is 75 ohms coax cable.

Trishield and dualshield can also be used.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast