Thread: Satellite TV picture quality

Thanks

Default Satellite TV picture quality

Hi,
    I am a new member and want to ask for some advise. Currently, I am subscribed to TVBJ (a Chinese Satellite TV channels). In the old days, when I connect my composite or S-video cable to the old analog TV, the picture quality is acceptable. I am still using the original decoder supplied from TVBJ. I upgraded to the Plasma TV, and I connect my S-Video to the new Plasma TV, the picture quality is not as good as the old analog TV. No need to mention, the composite is even worse. Recently, I upgraded my TV to a LCD TV and the new LCD TV doesn't have S-Video input, only composite. So I can only connect the composite cable to the new TV. However, I found that the picture is not acceptable to me. I have bought a S-Video to HDMI convertor and the result is worse than the connect the composite cable directly to the LCD TV.
    I heard that the dreambox with a smart card reader can replace the decoder, is that true? Do I need to perform any configuration if I buy a clone dreambox from the market and is it hard to configure? The only reason I want to replace the original decoder with the dreambox is I want a better picture quality on TVBJ on the LCD TV.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

This according to lyngsat is encrypted with PowerVu, which to be honest I never heard of. You will be better to try to find some more info localy...

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

The only way I really have found to get a better picture is to use a High Definition satellite receiver with HDMI out. I tried this with Aurora and the picture quality is surprisingly far more tollerable and this would be the same for Jade as well.
    I remember my disappointment when I first saw the pictures quality after I bought my first plasma! The old CRT is very forgiving with crappy signals!

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mborkp View Post
    This according to lyngsat is encrypted with PowerVu, which to be honest I never heard of. You will be better to try to find some more info localy...

Cheers
    locally is Oz. Also it's Irdeto2.

Cheers,
    Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hk9764 View Post
    Hi,
    I am a new member and want to ask for some advise. Currently, I am subscribed to TVBJ (a Chinese Satellite TV channels). In the old days, when I connect my composite or S-video cable to the old analog TV, the picture quality is acceptable. I am still using the original decoder supplied from TVBJ. I upgraded to the Plasma TV, and I connect my S-Video to the new Plasma TV, the picture quality is not as good as the old analog TV. .
    Most of TVB-J channels are turn around from C-Band dish. They try to squeeze too many channels to one transponder. Not too bad on the old tube TV until you stretch the picture on to the big Plasma or LCD the lower resolution is noticeable.

If you can put up a 1.8m C-band dish you’ll find the PQ much better. You’ll get over 60 Chinese channels including HD and its all free no monthly fee.

LeroyPatrol's comes with HDMI cable and will certainly give the better PQ. The TVB-J card works well and you can record onto HDD.
    Last edited by B52; 28-02-10 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks

Default Satellite TV quality

Hi,
    I am a new member and want to ask for some advise. Currently, I am subscribed to TVBJ (a Chinese Satellite TV channels). In the old days, when I connect my composite or S-video cable to the old analog TV, the picture quality is acceptable. I am still using the original decoder supplied from TVBJ. I upgraded to the Plasma TV, and I connect my S-Video to the new Plasma TV, the picture quality is not as good as the old analog TV. No need to mention, the composite is even worse. Recently, I upgraded my TV to a LCD TV and the new LCD TV doesn't have S-Video input, only composite. So I can only connect the composite cable to the new TV. However, I found that the picture is not acceptable to me. I have bought a S-Video to HDMI convertor and the result is worse than the connect the composite cable directly to the LCD TV.
    I heard that the dreambox with a smart card reader can replace the decoder, is that true? Do I need to perform any configuration if I buy a clone dreambox from the market and is it hard to configure? The only reason I want to replace the original decoder with the dreambox is I want a better picture quality on TVBJ on the LCD TV.
    Unfortunately, modern flatscreen, widescreen TVs, whether they be LCD or plasma just are'nt made for analogue or poor quality standard definition video. In fact, the larger the screen, the poorer the PQ. eg I watch the Indonesian services off Palapa D on a 58" plasma (through HDMI off the Octagon 918) and the result is pretty ordinary - most Asian and international services available in Australia still transmit in 576i in 4:3 aspect ratio. However, on the missus's 27" CRT in the bedroom, the same pictures are excellent.

Have tried everything with Palapa to get a better result on the big plassy, including upscalling through a pretty good Pioneer amp, with not much noticeable improvement. The same thing applies to the standard def pics on Austar/Foxtel - bad quality due to low resolution arising from over compression on D3/C1 transponders - but really quite nice on the old CRT.

I think the whole digital thing has been massively over rated - it is simply a means for the main players to broadcast more content over the same equipment. The solution lies in adoption of MPEG 4 technology with more High Def services - however don't hold your breath.

Thanks

I disagree with the solution being the adoption of MPEG4 technology as more providers are using this compression and just cramming more channels into the same amount of bandwidth which are still 4:3 576i.

Leroy

Thanks

Hi,
    Hey m8,
    don't do the "S" thing.
    I don't think a clone DM500 is much better than TVBJ STB.
    Acturally, I've a DM800, origenal one. Some programme provider can't give you the high quality pictures. If you saw 138C before, you'll know what I mean.
    And, acturally, most of DM500 use the cheap components and always coming with picture and volume issus. For example, black colour not dark enough, volume too low, etc.
    If you really a subscriber of TVBJ or Foxtel, use the origenal STB at all, anyway.
    Shit! Bigpond told me that is ADSL2+!!!!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1246500658.png

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I disagree with the solution being the adoption of MPEG4 technology as more providers are using this compression and just cramming more channels into the same amount of bandwidth which are still 4:3 576i.

Leroy
    That's true!
    Shit! Bigpond told me that is ADSL2+!!!!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1246500658.png

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    locally is Oz. Also it's Irdeto2.

Cheers,
    Leroy
    dough...
    As for a pq, you wan't get better quality than the signal which is provided. Sure, there is beter or worst upscalers which will cheat your eye and as Leroy said he can see improvement over his Occy and that's true.

The DM boxes has component out over scart which is much better then composite and better than S-Video.

Watching some low bandwidth stream on big TV and over composite is not torelable at all, even s-video will be s..t.

Component will give noticable better pic. but don't expect miracles. It is up to the provider to supply the customers with a quality streams, but do they care? As long as average John and Lisa do not complain and pay their bill, why change?

Cheers