Thread: TomTom V Navman

Thanks

Default TomTom V Navman

Can anyone tell me if there is a real difference between the two? I'm ready to buy, but getting confused. I don't need features like mp3 player, blue tooth, or
    camera. I just need good mapping, quick to use, good updates, and reliability.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Being a Tomtom user, same as most mates, I recommend Tomtom.
    Gave it to my 75 year old father to travel interstate.
    He got around just fine. If he can use it anyone can.
    Is simply the best choice for ease of use (user friendly)
    Navman might be also, but I wouldnt know.
    All reviews I have read rate Tomtom as the standout.
    If you dont need extra features get Tomtom One V3 at just over $300 is a good buy.
    Or if you want too pay more for the extras tryTomtomGo.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Definately TomTom

Thanks

I have a Tom TOM Go910 and a navman ICN 330. TOM TOM Great for updates thanks to the hackers, easy to use BUT my only grip is the following.

Navman type in street name then shows list of suburbs. Great easy

TOM TOM You must first put in Suburb then it will let you enter street name. (no problem here unless you type in Example: NARRE WARREN then your unable to find the street name your looking for as you should have typed in NARRE WARREN SOUTH) drives me up the wall, but apart from that It's great I still use the TOMTOM in my main car.

Adobe.

Thanks

Thanks Guys, I have done some googling, and now your comments confirm Tom Tom is the way to go.

Thanks

Have you looked at Mio Products like the C320 or C520, easy hackable and able to run other software, i now have TomTom6.020, Destinator 7.00.588, Route66, OziExplorer, and off course Mio Maps 3.3, if i could find maps for that Reality View Navigation, i could have that too

Thanks

My rating of 'Dumb and Simple' to 'Smart and Elegant' (dumb's at the top):

R66 (no TTS version)
    NDrive (no TTS)
    Smart2Go (no TTS)
    Tom Tom
    Destinator
    IGO (not sure 'bout TTS)
    Mio 3.3
    Mio 3.3 widescreen

Not sure where Garmin fits in ... my $100 PNA won't run it .... yet

PS I guess looking at that list, it gives a clue as to why Tom Tom is so successful for the average Joe. Not too heavy, not too light.

I'm increasingly becoming a Desinator fan. Not as downright dumb as Tomtom, not as complicated and tiny fonts as Mio.

But Mio in widescreen really has it all.

Thanks

Have you looked at Mio Products like the C320 or C520, easy hackable and able to run other software,
    When you say "easy Hackable" is this in reference to using other maps from Tom Tom or Navman? or something else?
    I have looked up the Mio 520 on eBay and it looks good. I notice there are sites with plenty of Tom Tom maps, but not many for Mio. If I could use Tom Tom maps then I will look further at Mio. Can you give me a link to a good map download site with maps of USA & Canada, and the UK? Thanks for your reply

Thanks

There's two raw map source data for Australia ..... navteq and Sensis. Tom Tom and Mio both use Sensis.

So Tom Tom or Mio ... there's no difference as they share the same crappy map data.

Visit ppcwarez for all your map needs and more.

Like I said, ..... there's none better than Mio in widescreen.

Mio GPS software is 'hackable' giving rise to many excellent skins to chose from. Maps cannot be reformatted between GPS softwares, with the exception of Garmin; which is opensource

Thanks

there's no difference as they share the same crappy map data.
    What makes them "crappy" and what maps are NOT crappy? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a newby with GPS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alligator View Post
    What makes them "crappy" and what maps are NOT crappy?
    1. They're just plain inaccurate. Errors, missing roads etc etc. This leads to poor/inaccurate/messy routing directions.

2. None.

IMHO Navteq is better in the country, Sensis in the City

...... but the 'Melways' will piss on GPS data all of the time for accuracy.

Oh! And the other thing, if your considering TTS ... well that's another large can of worms

'Diction and intonation' ain't always 'diction and intonation' as you might expect it to be.

Thanks

Actually i use my ancient mitac mio 168 which is a PDA with built in GPS running Navman.
    Back then (bout 5 yrs now), GPS wasnt vry well known and they were very bloody expensive...

I cannot fault it to date as i can play mp3s or video while running the GPS, so when playing video i can simply follow voice commands or vice versa
    One thing i like about it, is when i see a client and whip it out to program the trips on the fly while they are there. Then as a Pcoket PC, i can also install games and applications and pretty much manage the business trips on teh unit and transfr across to excel when needed.

Afew things..

i have this configured for vertical use and in 3d, its accurate to about 3 metres i kid you not.
    Unlike some other GPS systems, you DO NOT have to configure the satelite positions by going online to check their positions and loading that info to the unit.
    With this, it feeds off 12 sats and if the signal is weak you can only get a 2d map, but in 3d, its much more accurate and has a natural feel when your driving.

As my unit is rather old and only fed off battery, (my car charger got stepped on one too many times) my unit has reset itself several times as the inbuilt battery and clock battery is drained. In turn, requiring last minute instalation if i let the battery drain and remain flat for too long (abotu 4 days)
    The navman installation is pretty easy to us and the map instal to the unit itself is straightforward, what i DONT like is how you cant install or copy those maps onto another card. I
    Ive tried every hack and clone program out there and it just wont work.

My navman/mitac mio is now very old. htey do have a newer model out now for about 800-900 bux and if i was to buy aother one, it would be of the same kind and keep this one as a backup.
    I wouldnt buy a "dedicated" gps system unless it was dirt cheap and teh maps were as good as these ones.

Another good thing abotu this unit is that you can install a variety of GPS applications and run each to your liking. Feel like navman, go for it, if your tomtom maps are newer and up to date for new suburbs etc, you can run that instead, or half way through a trip...

I like it either way, but i also like the faact that the navman runs off whereis database in turn allowing me to keep accurate logs of distances whereby my clinet cant dispute any distances travelled

Thanks

Default tomtom

Quote Originally Posted by Adobe View Post
    I have a Tom TOM Go910 and a navman ICN 330. TOM TOM Great for updates thanks to the hackers, easy to use BUT my only grip is the following.

Navman type in street name then shows list of suburbs. Great easy

TOM TOM You must first put in Suburb then it will let you enter street name. (no problem here unless you type in Example: NARRE WARREN then your unable to find the street name your looking for as you should have typed in NARRE WARREN SOUTH) drives me up the wall, but apart from that It's great I still use the TOMTOM in my main car.

Adobe.
    hi adobe can you tell me if yours has the same problem as mine, whe you put the number in the street address it comes up as unvaliable. but I know its there. is there any fix