Thread: Unable to Tune or Receive Satellite Signal

Thanks

Unhappy Unable to Tune or Receive Satellite Signal

Equipment

SL 65/2 CI Silvercrest FTA Satellite Receiver, LNB Universal IP401 Mono Lo 10.7 -11.7 Hi 11.7 - 12.75 GHz Lo 950 - 1950 Hi 1100 - 2150

Dish Hills 85 CM Identical to the Austar Pay TV Unit, RG 6 Coax Direct connex From LNB to Receiver. Dish Mount on Colorbond Roof utilising Hills Tripod Mount.

I originally purchased this Unit (SL 65) in Europe, it is German manufactured budget unit. It has 12 pre-set satellites for Europe. I have proceeded as follows

Mounted Dish and pointed approx 152 Deg East Optus D2 as per Lyngsat Co-ord's. (Allowing for Dish alignment) I have ascertained my Lat & Long and have arrived at the following aiming calculations:
    Azimuth 7.43 Deg True Nth, Elevation angle 45.50 Deg Declination Angle 6.02 Deg

Connected Receiver to TV & tuned ok to start menu, Attached Sat Finder to LNB Side and output to receiver. Proceeded to Locate Satellite signal using both visual and audio display on Sat Finder. I seem to have located 3 satellites at the given co-ords while adjusting the azimuth of the dish assuming that the Stronger Signal was C1 followed by D2. Albeit the Receiver fails to dispaly any sort of signal whatsoever. (Sat Finder now disconnected and LNB reconnected correctly).

I have attempted to enter New Satellite details via the menu. What am I doing wrong ? Would the signal strength meter show anything even if the satellite I am attempting to find is not entered into the box?

I have added the following details to the add sat menu

OPTUS D2 Freq 12706 Symbol 22500 Polar - Vert Box does not have a setting for FEC.

The Transponder has me a little confused as I assumed that by manually searching 1207 22500 I would obtain a channel list. But with no signal at all I cant get past base 1. Some advice would be greatly appreciated

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Try the Aurora tuning channel - 12407 V , also check for your 18v at the end of your coax.

Thanks

Thx for yr reply 18 V Ok at end of coax No Signal No Aurora, is there a possibility that this box will not work in Australia ?

Thanks

I don't know about the box. I only suggested the Aurora tuning channel as I was on my roof tuning into C1 last night, I found D2 first and definitely know that the channel is there. I had a look at lyngsat and couldn't tell you if Globecast is up or not. I thought the hills dishes had a 12.5D offset.

Thanks

Ok will try elevation at 35 deg give or take, you are right about offset and I have tried at various elevations, FYI connected my Austar box to new dish and received signal 60 % but no channels !!!! What I do know is if I get pro installer they will prolly fix in 1 minute. Thx again

Thanks

You could use the Austar box for acquisition and then swap the box over, at least that way the alignment is sorted....then you can work out the box.

Thanks

Thx Coops will give it another go before darkness sets in, Considering 60 % signal on Aus Box confirms that my dish is working.

Will call back later on with results, Thx again for your help and suggestions.

Thanks

1. How do you have the lnb settings configured in the SL 65/2?

You have a universal lnb with dual lo's ie. lo = 950 (low) lo = 10700 (high) which are selected automatically by the box sending 22KHz when it requires the 10700 lo and no tone for the 950 lo.

Some older sat finders block the 22KHz tone as an added complication.

So it is fundamental to configure this correctly.

2. As already suggested use "12407, V (vertical polarisation), 30000" to verify signal. This TP is used on D2 and C1 ... so two chances to tune something.

3. Lastly. What is the lnb's skew? For Sydney the skew is around 7 o'clock looking into the dish (cable exit). You're not in Sydney but you're on the south east coast so will be similar. The skew is a critical tuning element to get 'quality'.

Note: The sat finder cannot be used to adjust skew ... you must used the set top box whilst viewing 'signal level' and 'quality' for your desired TP. In fact always use the stb to fine tune az/el/skew.

PS the Austar box will not be configured for a universal lnb ... so you won't get channels on it.

Thanks

Farmsky Thx for your valuable assistance. You are correct about the LNB settings, I am truly lost and I feel that this is my problem. The SL 65 assistance/menu/instructions are vague. I have allowed the STB to set itself, literally speaking. I can say that 22 khz is active, and I am allowing it too auto scan????? I have no idea and I am losing sleep over this. It has an LND selection that varies between 5000 and 10600 I have selected LNB 1 10600. With respect to tuning this unit, I can add a user satellite but I have noticed that it wont add the user satellite to its list of auto scan for satellites. Although I can manuallly scan but the transponder frequencys are stuffffed up, go figure. By all accounts and specifications the STB should work as it is no different to say a unit imported to Australia.

Skew is 5.83 Deg

Thx once again

Thanks

Lo must equal 10700 with 22Khz = on.

There will be a way to manually select an lo setting ie punch in 1 0 7 0 0.

Otherwise all tp settings are off by 100MHz. Really screws things up

It will work

Thanks

But all said and done correctly pointing a sat dish is the hardest thing to do first up.

You have to be better than 1 deg aligned, up/down left/right to successfully get a signal from the right bird. Then the skew. They are a precision dish believe it or not.

I presume this is the receiver?

I'll have a read of the manual and get back this evening if u haven't cracked it

Thanks

Thx for reply, You obviously sense my frustration, I was stumped at why the Austar Box wouldnt work either, My wife suggested that the Austar LNB looks bigger lol. I'll give it another go and report back.

Thanks

And yes thats the Unit minus the 2 CI/ Instructions are the same dowloadable in PDF document. Im seeing Green again. Thx for your assistance greatly appreciated

Thanks

Ok the Update

Had to update firmware for this decoder via RS232 port as I could not receive from their update sat. After this was done I eventually was able to lock on to the C1 156 DEG E Optus Bird Aurora Tuning Channel as advised.

Set Parameters for the D2 Bird. Power down Box, attach Sat Meter, re-adjust 4 degrees. Power up wooohoooo lock on D2 Bird and the rest was text book.

Signal Strength 93 % Quality 82%. SL 65 works fine in Australia. Thx for those that offered in valuable assistance. Consider this thread closed

Thanks

Well done