Thread: Dreambox + Airport Extreme

Thanks

Default Dreambox + Airport Extreme

Just got the latest airport extreme to take advantage of the draft'n' wireless + 1000Mbps ethernet to speed up syncing with an appletv, which now works fine only trouble is the dreambox must be having problems with the extreme because I get very bad results when streaming to laptop it plays 1 to 2 seconds than drops a few seconds then plays over and over. Tried manually setting dreambox with the telnet command ifconfig eth0 100baseTX-FD but didn't notice any change, so got an old 10/100 switch and put between the dreambox & the extreme and it streams perfect, so I'm wondering whether the dreambox has any known issue with either airport extreme or 1000mbps switches and can anyone suggest a fix?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geosatman View Post
    so I'm wondering whether the dreambox has any known issue with either airport extreme or 1000mbps switches and can anyone suggest a fix?
    no issue with a 1000mbs LAN's we run cisco/linksys version here and work perfect, as it does with the wifi on a Linux and wintel networks.

You are using mplayer for your streaming as well right, not just vlc? from shell in OS X

mplayer -ac mad "$(wget -q -O - http://root:dreambox@192.168.1.100/video.m3u)"

Change the IP to your dm boxes IP
    It is a hobby so mileage varies
    Loving IPTV with XBMC and android M8
    Join in the XBMCHUB community and visit me at http://tvaddons.ag/

Thanks

tnx jonc reassuring to know you haven't had any trouble with 1000mbps switches as this is what I intend to do as I want to relocate the extreme at the other end of the house. Haven't got mplayer installed was using vlc which has worked well in the past. Tried a crossover cable between dreambox and extreme and noticed a significant improvement but still not as good as using the 10/100 switch seems the extreme has problems autoneg. with the dreambox will go shopping for a switch and try that.

Thanks

tnx jonc reassuring to know you haven't had any trouble with 1000mbps switches
    You do understand that nearly none of the devices on your LAN will utalise 1gbs right (use this sort of bandwidth), including the DM box and your Mac devices. The Dell's we have here all run Linux with native 1gbs LAN drivers and connect to the LAN at 1gbs but only transfer across the LAN at about 8mbs.

Please feel free to ask your LAN/Network shop and they should explain the average device will only use 4-16mbs - more on the lower end than the higher end though even though it is on a 1gbs LAN, all this is going to do is to allow more devices at say 8mbs to run more happily on your LAN as opposed to say a 10mbs LAN or weak signaled/low bandwidth wifi.

Thanks

I certainly understand that but as I explained the reason for the upgrade was to take advantage of draft'n' to speed up file transfer speeds when I sync itunes on the MBP to the appletv "I download a lot of podcasts and like to listen via the ATV" which it has done at least twice as fast, but I didn't expect the streaming from the dreambox to be worse than the 802.11g + 10/100 network it replaced and by adding an old 10/100 switch between the extreme and the dreambox it streams as well as it ever has which seems to indicate that something is going wrong with handshake and the extreme isn't handling it properly the only other thing I can think of is I did do the hardware mod to the dm7020 ethernet port perhaps this has caused a impedance mismatch and the 1gb switch gets confused.

Thanks

only other thing I can think of is I did do the hardware mod to the dm7020 ethernet port perhaps this has caused a impedance mismatch and the 1gb switch gets confused.
    Before you do this, a real simple fix.

Please check what CAT version of cable you are using. For a 1gbs back bone always ensure it is CAT 6 without any mixed connector cables (most common still today in Oz is CAT 3) and rather than me expound the virtues of the right cable for the right job - google is your friend. And as you suggest all switches/hubs should be 1gbs and of the brand (i.e all linksys etc)

Thanks

OK just fitted dlink DGS-1005D 1gb switch all works fine must be an issue with the airport extreme thanks for your input jonc.