Thread: UEC box setup for ERT and FTA channels - what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Default UEC box setup for ERT and FTA channels - what am I doing wrong?

I have an old UEC stb which I’m trying to set up to receive all FTA channels, particularly ERT. I have a 65cm dish that has a Sharp 10700 dual LNB in place and LNB settings are for 10700. I believe I’ve aligned the dish correctly to pick up the correct satellite as signal detection shows that it is pointing to Mediasat MCPC with signal strength between 94-100%. The box was given to me by a friend who at one time was using it to successfully view all available FTA channels including ERT.

The following settings are programmed into the box and a number of FTA channels are available but no ERT:
    Signal setup 1 (home): 12644 22500 Vertical 3/4
    Signal setup 2: 12608 22500 Horizontal ¾
    Signal setup 3: 12581 22500 Horizontal ¾
    Signal setup 4: 12394 22500 Horizontal ¾
    Signal setup 5: 12734 22500 Vertical ¾

I have consulted Lyngsat and programmed the new ERT settings (12608, 22500, Horizontal, ¾) into signal setup 2. I’ve scanned numerous times and have had no luck with the ERT channel appearing and other channels like Russia Today. I don’t have any type of subscription. Do I need one to view FTA channels?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try next or what the problem might be? Help!!!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Try lyngsat settings for Optus D3/C1 as you might be pointing there?
    Last edited by Lazer; 12-10-10 at 07:02 PM.
    Lazer

• The Following User Says Thank You to Lazer For This Useful Post:

Satellitenewbie (12-10-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Searching for D2.

Quote Originally Posted by Satellitenewbie View Post
    I have an old UEC stb which I’m trying to set up to receive all FTA channels, particularly ERT. I have a 65cm dish that has a Sharp 10700 dual LNB in place and LNB settings are for 10700. I believe I’ve aligned the dish correctly to pick up the correct satellite as signal detection shows that it is pointing to Mediasat MCPC with signal strength between 94-100%. The box was given to me by a friend who at one time was using it to successfully view all available FTA channels including ERT.

The following settings are programmed into the box and a number of FTA channels are available but no ERT:
    Signal setup 1 (home): 12644 22500 Vertical 3/4
    Signal setup 2: 12608 22500 Horizontal ¾
    Signal setup 3: 12581 22500 Horizontal ¾ (encrypted Irdeto II)
    Signal setup 4: 12394 22500 Horizontal ¾
    Signal setup 5: 12734 22500 Vertical ¾

I have consulted Lyngsat and programmed the new ERT settings (12608, 22500, Horizontal, ¾) into signal setup 2. I’ve scanned numerous times and have had no luck with the ERT channel appearing and other channels like Russia Today. I don’t have any type of subscription. Do I need one to view FTA channels?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try next or what the problem might be? Help!!!
    G'Day Cobber,
    As pointed out above, You seem to be on the wrong Satellite. If it is C1/D3 that you are on, (156 E), you need to go to D2, (152 E).
    Mark your azimuth on the pole and your elevation on the Mast Bracket.
    Increase your elevation slightly and swing to the West a small amount while you have the box looking at D2.
    C1/D3 are very strong, so you are looking for a much weaker signal just a smidgen to the West.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

Thanks for your replies Lazer and beer4life. I tried setting D3/C1 settings and didn't pick up any of the D3/C1 channels. I then disabled all of the frequencies except for the home one which I set to 12707, 22500, H, 3/4. Signal detection shows UBI World TV with signal status "locked" and strength at 100%. Does this mean my dish is pointing at D2? If I set home freq as 12608 (ERT), no UBI World TV is in the signal detection display with signal status displaying "unlocked" and strength at around 75%. Does this indicate that the box can't seem to lock onto the frequency?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Satellitenewbie View Post
    Thanks for your replies Lazer and beer4life. I tried setting D3/C1 settings and didn't pick up any of the D3/C1 channels. I then disabled all of the frequencies except for the home one which I set to 12707, 22500, H, 3/4. Signal detection shows UBI World TV with signal status "locked" and strength at 100%. Does this mean my dish is pointing at D2? If I set home freq as 12608 (ERT), no UBI World TV is in the signal detection display with signal status displaying "unlocked" and strength at around 75%. Does this indicate that the box can't seem to lock onto the frequency?

Calm down, you want ERT, So until you're sure that you are on the right Satellite, just use 12608 H 22500. Don't confuse the issue skipping all over the place.
    Once you have that, you more than likely need to adjust the skew of the LNB for maximum. That's the gizmo in the centre of the dish pointing into the dish. If you're on the East coast, it should have the down lead around 7 O'Clock looking into the dish. There is about 40 degrees difference between Optus Satellites and most others.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post

Calm down, you want ERT, So until you're sure that you are on the right Satellite, just use 12608 H 22500. Don't confuse the issue skipping all over the place.
    Once you have that, you more than likely need to adjust the skew of the LNB for maximum. That's the gizmo in the centre of the dish pointing into the dish. If you're on the East coast, it should have the down lead around 7 O'Clock looking into the dish. There is about 40 degrees difference between Optus Satellites and most others.

Ok, will just use 12608 H 22500 and will try adjusting dish again and LNB skew. Will let you know results. Thanks for your help so far.

Thanks

Default UEC box binned

Thanks to eveyone for your help. I bit the bullet, binned the UEC and bought a new Strong box. Dish was pointing at D2 and all D2 channels including ERT now coming through crystal clear. Seems like the UEC's tuner just couldn't cut the mustard in signal pickup. Thanks again everybody!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

UEC receivers often have customised software installed, which makes loading free-to-air channels almost impossible for the inexperienced.
    They are made to a price and do not offer good value for money.

You did well to "bin" it and buy another receiver. You have saved yourself much frustration.

The Strong receivers are very versatile, sensitive and easy to set up. Wise choice.

Thanks

What Tristan is diplomatically saying,- is that the UEC decoders are worthless junk, I'd use the S..t word myself:-)

Glad you have something better.

Add in RT (Russia Today), NHK World (Japan), Press TV too - these are fulltime english language channels, basically news and doco's.

See that Lyngsat site for frequency detail.

Use your decoders menu edit function to rename, or delete and sometimes to 'skip' a channel. Housekeeping basically.
    5th Wyking Panzer Division