Thread: Tevion back to haunt me (LG PDP42V7) - No Picture. Powers up fine.

Premium Member

Thanks

Default Tevion back to haunt me (LG PDP42V7) - No Picture. Powers up fine.

Well, the Tevion has missed me playing with it... aka LG PDP42V74413

From a previous thread, this Tevion (LG), had a "Clicking when powering up", fault. Ended up having a faulty Ysus board which was replaced with a (6871QYH036-D), via WES in late April.

It has no picture. Sound is working fine.

When turned on, the power led goes to red. Press on/off i hear a click or two and then it goes to a flashing green for approx 2-3 seconds, then to a steady Green.

All the side buttons work and beep accordingly.

Fault started as "Picture was fine, then fading out to no picture". This apparently took approx 1-2 minutes. "You could still see a face, but only just, then it went blank...".

I have measured the VS's on the Y-sus and they are ok. The VS and VA on the X-sus are ok as well.
    All fuses check out ok as well.

Was used with a HD topbox always and a DVD player via Component, so i've been pressing TV/AV but the screen stays dark/grey.

I haven't seen the screen light up or change brighness at all.

If there is no input signal (no matter what AV or Component it was last on), shouldn't the screen go BLUE [No INPUT] as default?
    Just asking that, as he had the component rca leads pulling really tight. I've got all unplugged and there's no cracking or real loose feelings on the connectors.
    And i'm damned if i can get the rear panel off that covers the video/audio inputs!!

Talking of being damned...
    The missus isn't in yet. Hasn't yet seen another plasma in the kids room. She's gonna kill me...!
    Wonder if they can tell the difference of one or two plasmas - even if i put them close together?
    Got it! tell her it's a 3D plasma - two plasma's... yeah?
    I'm dead, i know it...

Any advise for a speedy plasma and marriage repair will be appreciated...

Cheers.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks

Well i don't know.
    Gone through the Service manual page 9 is all about checkign for no picture and i don't have an CRO to do the testing as mentioned with checking the CTRL B/D and the X B/D, Y B/D, Z B/D...

All links i can find to 'No Picture with sound', have other issues that this set doesn't have.
    Blowing fuses. Voltages 5v/65v/187v not here or there. Power light blinking.

This set doesn't have any of those issues.

All voltages are ok.
    Power light behaves fine.
    No blown fuses
    Sound is fine.
    The Y-SUS is the D version and replaced 8mths ago.

So i'm certainly not going to be doing the whole 3 board swap!

Does anyone know of another test i can do with a normal DMM?

Not sure what to do now. Might be a simple repair or another board swap over. If it's a board, i'll probably recommend to them not to proceed, particulary with the price of new plasmas.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Hi GT250, not sure of any other test points but I would think that either the Ysus has blown again or the Zsus is faulty. Sounds like a kit is needed. I think this time you should put it out of its misery.

Mickstv

Premium Member

Thanks

Yeah, thanks for your reply Mick.

I thought 'somewhere in the back of my mind' that the Y-sus might have failed again. But the TV was not clicking this time, so different fault.

If its the Y-sus i'll tip the tv. I'm going to contact a supplier and see if i can get a 'loan' X-sus. Simple, quick and easy to fit.
    Smaller board, so shouldn't be anywhere near the cost of a Y-sus (don't know yet), and i'll take it from there.

Shame to tip the tv is the Y-sus is ok! It's only 7-8 months old and was used for about 2hours a day - approx 500hrs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GT250 View Post
    Yeah, thanks for your reply Mick.

I thought 'somewhere in the back of my mind' that the Y-sus might have failed again. But the TV was not clicking this time, so different fault.

If its the Y-sus i'll tip the tv. I'm going to contact a supplier and see if i can get a 'loan' X-sus. Simple, quick and easy to fit.
    Smaller board, so shouldn't be anywhere near the cost of a Y-sus (don't know yet), and i'll take it from there.

Shame to tip the tv is the Y-sus is ok! It's only 7-8 months old and was used for about 2hours a day - approx 500hrs.

I think this is the reason LG decided on the kit of three boards the extra reliability. I've done plenty of LG's and maybe had one or two back.

Mickstv

Premium Member

Thanks

Mick, PM sent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GT250 View Post
    Mick, PM sent.

PM sent back GT250

Premium Member

Thanks

UPDATE:
    The Y-sus has come back, NFF.

On the notes it has "Techs advise usuals method is replace boards with board kit". $250.

So i'll have to talk to WES and see if they can arrange for me to pay the difference from this y-sus and 'add' the other two boards.

In any case (even if they can't), i'm going to have to think about it due cost (see end of post).

Mick. In the above posts you say you've done a few LG's and 'had one or two back'.

Is this AFTER you have fitted kits, or these are LG's you have fitted kits to?

What is your opinion on the livability of this model, if a 'new' kit is fitted?

Thanks.

Have you seen the price of the Pana 65" (S20 or A20 i think), below $3000. Damn!
    A guy on Ebay couldn't sell his Samsung 50" (Still under warranty), for $700.

Thanks

Hi GT250, Look any of the LG's that i've put the kits in seemed to have lasted I may have had a couple back for same fault though.

It's a hard choice whether to fix some of these plasma's like we discussed in the origional thread it's borderline as I said LG's recomendation it to replace all boards unless you find and incompatability with the CTRL board in which case you would use the orgional.

But the customer has had a fair use out of it and prices of new plasma's are so low now.

Mickstv
    Last edited by mickstv; 23-11-10 at 08:27 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Wes won't allow me to buy the other two boards. Told me I have to buy a full kit.
    They wonttake back the NFF board or credit me anything.
    So it's 250 plus gst!
    So tip job. And I have good ysus to look at!

Phonepost.

Thanks

after looking at (not always doing) quite a few of the older, extended warranty up to 5 years, lg panels/boards, kit already replaced once or twice or in some cases 3 times under both manufacturer warranty and extended, i took note of what signs would show when a panel would cause a kit/y sus to die again.

if you adjust the set down voltage on the y-sus a bit lower until you see a less defined image, and set up voltage up a bit till you see sparkly pixels, the panels/units that were taking out y-sus boards, even with the complete kit changed previously, had more sparkly pixels expecially showing up burns. those panels still could be set to have a decent picture, but would definitely fail again within a year or two. power and x-sus didnt seem to effect the outcome.