Thread: rs232 pinout for compaq r3000h ups

Thanks

Default rs232 pinout for compaq r3000h ups

i have been looking for days and cant fond the correct serial cable pinout for the compaq r3000h UPS. i can find the pinout for the r3000xp and above but its the incorrect pinout for the r3000h. The pinout below is the only one i can find but its for the modles above the one i have

db9............db9
    male..........female
    1-----------3
    2-----------2
    3......N/C.....4----linked to 6 in female
    4-----------5
    5......N/C.....6----linked to 4 in female
    6-----------7

as this pinout doesnt work its usless to me but if anyone knows the pinout i am chaseing i would very much appreciate it as i have serched long and hard with no luck. the main problem is that compaq was brought out by HP and as such HP doesnt support the older modles of compaqs range and they offer no support via phone or email unless you are still under warentee. their website doesnt even recognise the model of ups at all.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Look Here ->
    In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Trying to find old models of UPS on anyone's website is impossible. I have often searched on APC's website for models of UPS that are only a few years old and there is absolutely no mention of them.
    As for technical info such as diagrams and pinouts, I wish you all the best. UPS manufacturers seem to guard this information like it's of national interest.
    Even for old machines that are no longer supported they won't part with the diagrams. Well, that's my experience with APC anyway - others may be different.

Thanks

i have the pinouts and the software for apc ups if you are still in need of it m8, i went down that path a while ago and it was easy in comparison to the compaq r3000h. at least apc still exists unlike compaq

Thanks

Cheers for that. I've stuck with APC because they seem to be nicely built and pretty reliable.

What I am interested in is schematic diagrams for the following units:

SmartUPS 1250INET

SmartUPS 2200INET (Rack mount)

I have a feeling that the Compaq UPS were actually made by someone else. I had one come in to my workshop a couple of years ago, and with some careful investigation I found it was actually made by a fairly well known American power electronics manufacturer - I just can't remember the name of them.

Thanks

it as i found out yesterday is actually a powerware 5019. i found the pinout by experimenting a little and looking at what pins do what on the ups and the same for the pc, then worked out what needed to connect to what and it worked.

but it kinda sux that the device i am playing with is a powerware 5019, it is badged as a compaq r3000h and compaq no longer exists as it has been brought out by HP. that recipie makes for an absolute nightmare trying to find relevant information, but i got there in the end and am very pleased with the result. it handles over 2000w whish is what i needed and with the amount of batteries ill b connecting to it, i expect some serious runtime. as it is i get over 8 hours on an old apc smartups 1000 but it doesn't handle the load i want it to. this new 1 handles a heap more to the point that if i have a major power outage, i can even power my home theater for a few hours no worries, and that means powering a 2 meter wide lCOS tv
    BTW incase u r curious, i have 24 batteries hooked up to it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 6uldv8 View Post
    BTW incase u r curious, i have 24 batteries hooked up to it
    WHOA! That's some serious back-up!

Now, tell me - how do you get on for charging? I work on the assumption that the charging circuitry in the UPS is set for a particular charge rate - based on the number of batteries it is expecting to see hooked up to it [ie what the factory specs say will be connected] plus a bit extra to allow for maybe slightly bigger batteries or if they are REALLY flat.

If you then go and increase the battery count by 4 or 8 times - do you have to adjust the charge capability/rate or do most UPS accommodate such an increase automatically?

This is where I'd really like to find an APC circuit diagram so I can work out how they do things and which preset does what on the board.

The guys that run my nearest APC service agency are pretty good but they stop short of handing out diagrams.

Well done on sorting out your pin-out config and getting it all up and running!

Thanks

all adding more batteries does to your charging is make it take longer. typicly an apc 1000va will take 3 hours to charge from flat. mine now takes a full day to charge. thats the only difference. the apc is designed to take more batteries, well the software is anyways as if you hyperterminal into it you can add as many external battery packs as u like, each pack will add a certain amount of runtime when looking at it from the proper gui.

lol just looked back, i was asking for a little help when i started this thread, and as a result i solved my own problem and i am now assisting 2 ppl 1 via pm and you too studio1 via this thread
    just thought it was a little ammuseing, not that i mind

Thanks

Ha ha yes that is something I do sometimes as well... maybe because we get to a point where frustration kicks in and what we are doing is putting our hand up for a little inspiration.

I'm not so much looking for help, just picking your brains as you seem to have done more experimenting/modifying with your UPS than I've ever had time to.

For me, I tend to spend my time repairing equipment but don't get much time to modify and adapt.

I wouldn't mind betting that one of the presets on the main control board sets the charging current for the batteries. If you could find out which one it is, you could up the charge current and shorten the time it takes to top off your battery bank.
    A day to fully recover is a long time.

I have a 1250VA APC unit running my internet computer and if I run the batteries [2 x 12V 17A/hr in series] right down then it takes about 6 hours for them to charge to capacity.
    [I get about 3 hours run time out of them]

I'd like to get some of those 100A/hr SLA batteries and hook them on the back for extra run time, but they're not cheap!

When we get power cuts here they can last for 5 hours or more and in the winter, or on stormy nights the power can be out for a day or more while they fix the lines.

Thanks

well if u are in Brisbane i could possibly score you some deep cycle batteries that are designed for the job for free. we ripped a few pallets of them out of sites during some upgrades in some of our local exchanges. Most of them are replaced well before their lifes end so i am putting them to good use. if you are local to me i would be happy to part with some for free. and no ppl that isn't an invitation for everyone wanting batteries to pm me, just an offer to studio1. we have 1 pallet left atm though we did bin another 3 pallets of them. They are all 50.8ah 12v batteries. its way better to use deep cycle batteries over led acid batteries as the sealed deep cycle batteries are designed to be run flat where as if u run a led acid battery flat, you are sure to kill the battery as they aren't designed for it.

oh and as for charging them quickly, i wouldnt recomend that either, The slower the charge the better. it prolongs the life of the batteries whereas a quick charge shortens their life

Thanks

as luck would have it we just had a pallet of 96 or 98ah batteries come in today, ofcorse they are twice the size of the 50.8ah batteries.

Thanks

Thanks for the offer mate, but I'm in New Zealand, not far from Auckland if you know the layout of the land.
    I somehow doubt the cost of freighting such batteries over here would be cheap so I'll have to take a raincheck until such time as I make it over there and can carry a few back in my luggage .. LOL.

Thanks

no probs and yes i know the lay of the land, i grew up in wellington, but moved to australia at 21

Thanks

24 battery pack?? i used to partake in the replacement of a 48 + 24 battery pack used in a server room... i used to love watching the apprentice connecting the last battery!!

Thanks

lol yeah u do get a nice little bang on the big ones. great for those un suspecting young blokes, though if they are too timmid they tend to melt the lug a bit too much

Thanks

or if they're too quick sore knuckles

Thanks

Hello all,
    Im a new chum on the block.

I was just browsing this forum and decided it's got sensible material to read.

Lately I have been thinking about increasing the capacity of my Compaq/Deltec PRA 1000i UPS from the 17 Ah batteries to higher capacity ones. My UPS can handle up to 700 watts.

I have some Red - Green screw attatchment terminals with 1/4inch threaded bolts, (taken off a broken HV electric fence unit), thought I might fitt them to the rear of the UPS chassis.

Now, last friday arvo, my UPS shutdown the PC, there was a battery alarm on the front pannel, seems my 8 year old batteries gave out before I could do anything.
    I was browsing the web for second hand bats when I discovered this forum.

electricme

Thanks

I've made up a cable that works with the Compaq R3000 using Lansafe V5 (free from website)

Male (UPS) - Female (COM1)

1 --------- 3
    2 --------- 2
    9 --------- 5
    7 --|
    8 --|

(pin 7 loops to pin 8 on male / ups end)

Don't know if it works with other applications..

Thanks

To 6uldv8,
    I think you might find what you are looking for at Powerware Eaton, they have bought out the old Compaq UPS range.

I am looking for some secondhand batteries

Jim

Thanks

Thumbs up

Jim

Compaq weren't bought out by Eaton Powerware, they were bought by Hewlett-Packard. Coincidently Compaq never manufactured UPS's they just rebadged Eaton Powerware equipment which in fact was manufactured by Exide Electronics.

Compaq R3000(H) - Powerware 5119
    Compaq R3000XR - Powerware 5125

IBM, HP & APC also rebadged Eaton Powerware equipment.

Worth knowing when it comes to drivers, software etc.

Jon

Thanks

Hi Jim,

Welcome to Austech - we're a mad lot here, but we have a lot of fun doing it!

I hear your request for second-hand batteries, but the issue with these is you don't know just how good or bad they are unless your source can vouch for them or you know the history.

I've found second-hand batteries that appear brand new - only to discover they're 5 years old and toast. Might terminal test to 13 volts but won't load up.

I've also found that some brands of battery just won't drive an UPS properly. I bought some generic branded batteries a few years ago, only to discover the UPS (an APC 1400INET) wouldn't run properly with them in.
    I took them back and the guy said "Are you running these in an UPS?" I replied that I was and he said "Ah, you need CSB batteries - these are designed and suggested for UPS work".

So, I've used CSB ever since when replacing UPS batteries and had no problems to date. Only thing to watch for is the date stamp on the batteries.
    SLA's have a shelf-life of around 6 months to a year - I got some once that were already 18 months old when I bought them. They still worked Ok but I am always careful to check now as the estimated usable lifespan of one is 2 - 3 years tops before replacement is necessary.