Thread: UEC box reboots

Thanks

Default UEC box reboots

I must say that the box is a serious piece of junk. I've never seen something reboot so many times..we're watching 99 and it just constantly reboots....

I'm not sure if it's the box or what but it's just junk, plain and simple !

Look Here ->
    Thanks

If it is rebooting it probably means you are using a Universal LNB (9750/10600) the box requires a LNB providing 9750/10700 or a LNB using 11300. When you change the LNB you may need to turn the power off after changing the setting in the decoder - to get the box to accept the new settings.

The rebooting was happening to my box - a reboot about every hour. Once I changed the LNB it stopped rebooting.

However, you are right - the box is close to junk. My box on a regular basis freezes for a few moments (sometimes up to a minute) also channel changes often result in a lot of pixelation - somtines double images from the previous channel overlaid over the new channel pics - takes a while to settle down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by earlsdon View Post
    If it is rebooting it probably means you are using a Universal LNB (9750/10600) the box requires a LNB providing 9750/10700 or a LNB using 11300. When you change the LNB you may need to turn the power off after changing the setting in the decoder - to get the box to accept the new settings.

The rebooting was happening to my box - a reboot about every hour. Once I changed the LNB it stopped rebooting.

However, you are right - the box is close to junk. My box on a regular basis freezes for a few moments (sometimes up to a minute) also channel changes often result in a lot of pixelation - somtines double images from the previous channel overlaid over the new channel pics - takes a while to settle down.
    Have a 10700 lnb and reboots every once in a while for no particular reason. Whilst its still early days, I think the maker (UEC) or the provider (VAST) has some serious work to do with this box and the current video stream/encryption, to address the following:

Random reebooting
    Freezing on the commercial channels
    Pixellation on channel change
    HDMI 1.4 incompatibility
    Crappy picture quality on component out

Also signal strength in NE Australia very low. Was thresholding on a 90cm so switched to the 1.2 offset with ony a marginally improved result. With all the rain and storms at the moment, it drops out at the drop of a hat.

Thanks

The LNB is 10700...you really think the LNB can be the issue, that would be seriously weird if it was.... I all my sat days I've never had that experience..I had a DM7020 hanging off that thing for 18 months without issue on PAS8

Not sure if you guys notice on 10, a very faint ticking every say 30 seconds, about 2-3 small "tick noises" in a row..Not noticed it on any other channel. I've changed the box to AC3 and using the optical out to the AMP..

PC9, how do you know your box is thresholding ? Does it say loss of signal or something ?

Cheers..Pete

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petez69 View Post
    The LNB is 10700...you really think the LNB can be the issue, that would be seriously weird if it was.... I all my sat days I've never had that experience..I had a DM7020 hanging off that thing for 18 months without issue on PAS8

Not sure if you guys notice on 10, a very faint ticking every say 30 seconds, about 2-3 small "tick noises" in a row..Not noticed it on any other channel. I've changed the box to AC3 and using the optical out to the AMP..

PC9, how do you know your box is thresholding ? Does it say loss of signal or something ?

Cheers..Pete
    this is just a question of the signal quality. I use my Octagon 918 to download the encrypted services and check the signal quality reading. Whilst this is only a guide, on a 90cm offset dish the VAST services come in at about 55%. On the Octagon anything lower than about 45% will drop the signal so this is right on the threshold. Its only slightly better on a 1.2m which provides a little more head room.

In practical talk, when I go back to the UEC box, the signal doesn't tolerate any weather interference, ie as soon as it starts to rain, the signal pixelates and then drops out.

In my little list of gripes, forgot to mention about the clicking noise when you go into the TV Guide function and scroll through the channels. Its clicks uncontrollably until you select a service.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pc9 View Post
    this is just a question of the signal quality. I use my Octagon 918 to download the encrypted services and check the signal quality reading. Whilst this is only a guide, on a 90cm offset dish the VAST services come in at about 55%. On the Octagon anything lower than about 45% will drop the signal so this is right on the threshold. Its only slightly better on a 1.2m which provides a little more head room.

In practical talk, when I go back to the UEC box, the signal doesn't tolerate any weather interference, ie as soon as it starts to rain, the signal pixelates and then drops out.

In my little list of gripes, forgot to mention about the clicking noise when you go into the TV Guide function and scroll through the channels. Its clicks uncontrollably until you select a service.
    PC9, thanks for the feedback. I've not had it drop out here in Alice, the dish is a 65 I think, not sure but it was an Austar unit. I had it pointing at PAS8 and it was fine.

I'm pleased to have the new commerical stations here in Alice no doubt about that but seriously, the box is a dead loss. Supposedly we're going terestrial in March/April so then I can switch to my HDHomerun box with media center and start recording stuff :-)

I do love the idea of satellite than the Yagi on the roof. If I ever go back to my house in Syd I'd rip that bloody 30ft telomast off the roof and stick with Satellite..

Thanks

Cheers..Pete
    UEC only recommend the 11300 or the 10700 LNB.

Yes, the LNB was an issue for me - I had to change the LNB to stop the decoder re-booting - it still was doing it after the box was authorised for the commercial channels.

Others have mentioned an issue with signal strength. They may need to check their dish or alignment of the LNB. I have 85% signal strength with both my own 90cm dish and the small Austar dish (Not sure if the Austar dish is 60 or 65cm never bothered to measure it) I used to use the 90cm dish for SelecTv on Pas 8.

However, during heavy rain the UEC VAST box pixilates and sometimes drops out altogether - on both dishes long before the Austar Mystar box has a problem.

The sooner I can get a better box the better.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

One thing I have noticed with the VAST signals, is how sensitive the LNB skew and focal distance is..... even with larger dishes.

Measuring BER/MER with a digital spectrum analyser, showed even tiny increments as small as 0.5mm rotation and/or forward/back position of the LNB in the holder could make a considerable difference to signal quality/reliability.

Even with perferctly-adjusted LNB's freezing/pixelation is still an issue on all channels.

Monitoring signals at the time showed no faults in the transmission, so it would appear that it's a firmware/other issue with the POS UEC box.

Thanks

PC9, thanks for the feedback. I've not had it drop out here in Alice, the dish is a 65 I think, not sure but it was an Austar unit. I had it pointing at PAS8 and it was fine.

I'm pleased to have the new commerical stations here in Alice no doubt about that but seriously, the box is a dead loss. Supposedly we're going terestrial in March/April so then I can switch to my HDHomerun box with media center and start recording stuff :-)

I do love the idea of satellite than the Yagi on the roof. If I ever go back to my house in Syd I'd rip that bloody 30ft telomast off the roof and stick with Satellite..
    No probs - by the way did you get your VAST authorised with an Alice Springs address?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pc9 View Post
    No probs - by the way did you get your VAST authorised with an Alice Springs address?
    Yes, I'm smack in Alice Springs, no problems

• The Following User Says Thank You to petez69 For This Useful Post:

pc9 (29-12-10)