Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Falcon FG XR6

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Dont get me wrong Leroy, i have 2 of them and im happy but thats me.

But i can fix them and know the issues and am happy repairing them.

Just being brutally honest, they have faults, the ford forums have over 100 pages of FG issues, most of it is repetitive dribble.

Im sure most of what i posted referring to the BA model has been improved on the FG but knowing Ford there will still be heaps of things wrong.

One thing i do know is the new 6 speed tranny is far better than the old 4 speed.

Also the part number in my Disc brake catalog for brake rotors is the same for BA, BF and FG base models so im assuming the FG will have the same problems. I currently sell many front rotors to BA and BF owners and quite a few FG owners.

Thanks

My old boy has a BF Fairmont Ghia, fully optioned as it was an ex ford company car, he loves it, has not had any problems with at all, and tow's a 2 ton fiberglass boat and trailer at least once a fortnight over long distances, his not had any problems with breaks, and I think his pretty hard on the brakes personally, he thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I personally think the build quility for a supposed luxo barge is pathetic, but I'm comparing his to my 1990 Celsior which retailed for $130,000 when new, but other than that and what seems to be an uncomfortable driving position I can't see to many problems with the car, I think GZ said it though, go for a Luxo Option over a base XR, almost the same price!

Thanks

So Far not to many major issues with my fg xr6 13000 on the clock..

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

had an fg xr8 manual. put 10k on it with no problems. currently have an fg super pursuit auto with around 10k, no problems either. Both look way better than a holden......

Thanks

Had my BA for 8 years now. Pretty accurate comments here. For city driving and similar dollars I would also go a luxury model over the XR series. Issues I've had so far include ...

Front rotors warped and replaced on first brake service. Ok since.
    Front steering couplings snapped on a country trip.
    Front steering clicking turned out to be loose steering rack.
    Water pump replaced under warranty.
    No transmission leak yet but I suspect Godzilla just explained what that thump noise might be from rear diff occasionally.

But yet I still consider it a great cruising machine. Really comfortable on those long trips. Parts are cheap and the money I saved went on holidays considering what I wanted to get originally. Thinking of replacing it with either one of the last BF wagons or a RAV4 v6. Sorry to hijack your thread but would anyone consider the RAV4 to be worth all the extra dollars? If I could put a ZF 6 speed into a wagon it would be a deal clincher but not sure that's doable.

Thanks

Dont they offer the ZF tranny in the wagons?

I thought the 6 speed was just a option, in fact i thought they were going to stop using the 4 speed all toghether, i could be wrong though.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

There was a new FG wagon at one dealer and I thought it was standard with a 6 speed. It was straight gas also.

Leroy
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 02-02-11 at 08:30 PM.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

I had a BA Wagon as a company car for a couple of years from 30k to 100k. At 40k, whilst still under warranty, it went back to Ford 3 times (the first two they denied anything was wrong) to repair the phasers that change the cam timing as they weren't functioning, causing the car to be woefully under powered and drink stupid amounts of fuel. Rotors warped to the shit house at 60k, rear end made all sorts of 'interesting' noises as did the steering but again, ford denied any issues. Eventually our fleet mechanic sorted everything out at around 70k and there were no further problems whilst I had the car.

I've always hired Fairmonts when I travel east and more recently, the G6E. Outwardly, they're a nice car and they're reasonably well appointed. When you start comparing it to similarly priced Jap and Euro options though, you start seeing the difference. Not to mention the appalling resale Falcadores suffer.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (02-02-11)

Thanks

Ah, another problem that Drift mentioned that i forgot about (too many to mention)

The cam phasers.

The VCT has solenoids under the cam covers, these are known to stick when they become gummy with poor oil.

Some people remove them and unstick them with some contact cleaner.

Most times they do not need to be removed to reset the cams, its a simple procedure.

Get in the car and put the key in the ignition.

Put your foot flat to the floor on the accelerator pedal.

Turn key and start cranking the engine for 10 seconds straight (the car will not/should not start).

Turn ignition off and remove key.

LOL, you really need to know a few tricks with these cars to "survive".

Then again you could just take it in to a dealer.....

Thanks

so if the oil is kept clean the phasers should be ok?

Thanks

Theoretically.

I used a oil flush on one of the cars on the last service to help prevent the problem, the other car will also get a flush next service for the same reason.

Thanks

Hey Godz,

you forgot the turbo bolts need tightening every 10 K, Pain in fuscking arse.

Ford charges $68.00 to do it and they don't even check em, drove mine out after they had "tightened em" and had nice leak and no boost.

Many other BA issues
    power steering shudder (easy fixed)
    Loose rack bolts (easy fixed)
    cooler hoses fall off
    Boost reg needs WD40 every 10 K
    Rotors
    seized front caliper slide bushes
    hand brake (worst design ever need to adjust every 300 KM)
    sludgematic 4 speed with no dip stick 5, seconds wait for reverse
    Rear bushes
    dirty throttle body
    noisey dunlop sp3000A (and poor traction)
    F%^king lose turbo bolts (locktite doesnt even keep em in)
    coils (caused by 200 mm plug gap after not changing them for 100 K)
    list goes on

Enigne has been strong always ran on castrol edge 10w-60 change every 7500 KM never had an issue

Regs
    Extra

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Extradry For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (03-02-11)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

i'd go for the G6, same motor but more comfortable suspension and much flasher interior.

remember the xr6 has a standard motor, lowered and stiffened suspension and 'sports' interior.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Extradry View Post
    sludgematic 4 speed with no dip stick 5, seconds wait for reverse
    off topic: i thought gm developed the sludgematic -

but yes i was generally unimpressed with the dipstickless 4 speed in the ef and el. hence why i fitted one from an xf to both vehicles with a little bending and such it can be done.
    Last edited by kcsoft; 03-02-11 at 10:03 PM.
    Isuzu MU

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    i'd go for the G6, same motor but more comfortable suspension and much flasher interior.

remember the xr6 has a standard motor, lowered and stiffened suspension and 'sports' interior.
    the xr50th has some extra creature comforts like dual zone climate control and leather trimmed seats. I took one for a drive and it felt nice and not too harsh in the handling dept.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

My wife has the dual climate in her BA, farkin fantastic, she can warm her feet while i cool down on my side.

Today i went out with the car (ghia), leather, sunroof, premium sound, dual climate, shits all over the XR6, much more comfortable and refined car.

XR6 is just a XT with a body kit, alloy wheels and slightly lower and stiffer suspension in the BA's. Big deal.

@Extra dry, yes your right, the sliders sticking, etc, Geez man so many faults to remember. LOL
    Been there, done that, yes the throttle body comes off every second service for a clean.

Lets not scare Leroy too far away, when things go wrong after warranty he can always refer back to this thread for trouble shooting.

I didnt know about the turbo bolts, will add it to my list of things to watch for.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 03-02-11 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Extradry View Post
    you forgot the turbo bolts need tightening every 10 K, Pain in fuscking arse.

Yes, I re-tighten my exhaust manifold bolts every 6 months...they always work themselves loose....No. 6 cylinder is the worst.

Extradry, I fitted stainless steel studs in my turbo dump pipe..it's a fix from Ford..all good now. When I checked my dump pipe for the first time 1 stud had totally backed out and just holding in , 1 was loose and the other were ok..doh! Pain in the arse to get to!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mgoldbe1 For This Useful Post:

Extradry (04-02-11),Godzilla (04-02-11)

Thanks

You turbo owners should know about the diff bush problems if your heavy with the loud pedal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mgoldbe1 View Post
    Yes, I re-tighten my exhaust manifold bolts every 6 months...they always work themselves loose....No. 6 cylinder is the worst.

Extradry, I fitted stainless steel studs in my turbo dump pipe..it's a fix from Ford..all good now. When I checked my dump pipe for the first time 1 stud had totally backed out and just holding in , 1 was loose and the other were ok..doh! Pain in the arse to get to!
    Yeah dump pipe is all good, just the mainfold. Agreed number 6 is always on the move, must be all the torque when when i drive to work doing 60

One day i will drill them all,twist em with stainless wire like an aircraft

Regards

Extra
    Last edited by Extradry; 04-02-11 at 07:24 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Sorry, don't have a XR6, but do have the FG G6 with dedicated GAS. May not help you, but could help others contemplating one.

My 2 bobs worth.

Have a FG G6 EGAS since brand new, now 26mths old with 42k on the clock. Great looking car on outside, very comfortable and quite luxurious on the inside, but does have some very significant issues with it.

These are facts. If you have any doubt or want to confirm my statements, write everything down and go and check for yourself. Have a look BEFORE you depart with your hard earned money.

BOOT SIZE: This gas is only gas, no petrol or diesel, so not having a fuel tank as such, you would think Ford would have designed the boot better. There is no height and the spare tyre takes up over half of the very limited space. The gas version is seriously NOT a family car, as the 2 of us need to put some luggage on the back seat. No large esky with beers & food in here folks, that has to go on the back seat. Same same for a pram or pusher, and forget about 2 large suitcases. I doubt there are many Taxis using this gas only FG G6 model, as there is next to no luggage room in the boot. If there are, they would have removed their spare tyre. Not good removing the spare tyre for driving out of populated areas. A very significant issue.

TYRES: Another issue is the size of the tyres Ford use. 235/50 R17 are very limited and not a common size tyre. For exact replacement tyres, you would be looking at more than $1200 without alignment. That’s not including rims or mags folks, just the standard tyre.

ROAD NOISE: The condition of Aussie roads are becoming worse is a known fact. I seriously doubt that Ford did much road noise testing, as there are numerous times on bitumen roads the noise is that bad, that ear plugs are seriously a necessity. My job often involves frequent travel anywhere in this great country, and are driving many different hired and work holdens, toyotas, fords, landrovers and landcruisers. So think I can vouch that the sound insulation within the FG G6 is worse out of all those. Not happy that it happens to be our personal car that is the worse.

GAS TANK: Fuel wise, it is very very impressive. Just remember that it is gas and when running low, you do need to make it a priority to fill up. You can’t carry gas in a container if you run out. We frequently do long trips and unfortunately it has happened many times where the cars gas tank has become hot and is unable to be filled at a service station. Not even a trickle of gas. The ONLY way around this dilema is to either wait a few hours for the gas tank temperature to drop enough, or visit a car wash and hose the tank from underneather. What an absolute nightmare. Not sure if this is common amongst other GAS only cars, or just this model of ford.

RATTLES: Lastly, our car has been back numerous times for a persistant rattle coming from the drivers side door. It has got to the stage where ford have recommended they send our car to their panel beater to see what they can do. Very frustrating indeed and a huge inconvenience.

Again, a fantastic looking car on inside and out, beats the very bland commodore hands down in these aspects, but does have some significant setbacks with luggage room, road noise and uncommon tyre sizes.

Bottom line and the truth in the matter. We love the car for it's performance on gas, the comfort on the inside, and the looks inside and outside.
    Apart from that, if we could turn back time, this gas only model would be still sitting in the car yard for sale.
    Hope this helps anyone contemplating buying a FG G6 and especially gas.

FYI- We drove a FG XR6 when ours was being serviced, and have to say they are a nice car too, and obviously have a big difference in the power.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (04-02-11),LeroyPatrol (05-02-11),Tradesman (07-02-11)

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast