Thread: AU `11 Engine 'Miss'

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Ford AU `11 Engine 'Miss'

My wagon is a Ford Futura AU 11 Sept 2000 with 226 K's on the clock and recently it has developed an intermittant 'Miss'
    I put new Platinum plugs in about 12 months ago but the leads are origonal as far as I know as I bought it in 2004 with around 110 K's.
    It was previously owned by the DMR and was a 'Salary Sacrifice' I think.
    I have been using E10 almost exclusively since I bought it with no apparent problems.
    When it did the big miss about 2 weeks ago, I put in some Nulon brand Injector cleaner and I have filled the tank this week with straight Unleaded as I still had 3/4 of a tank of E10 when this first happened.
    The damn thing hasnt 'missed' since then untill I went out this morning.

I know this problem can be one of a 50 different things but before I attack with a heavy hammer, I thought I would ask first if this may be a known fault others have had.
    I have been driving with the 'Economy' switch 'OFF' but decided the other day to reuse it and it was 'ON' this morning when I started it up.
    It began to 'miss' shortly after I started off.
    It appeared to reduce the 'Miss' when the 'Economy' was 'ON' but it was there and after the short 20 K's out and back, it was really there as I tried to reverse into the shed.
    Apart from the usual 'Match in the Petrol Tank' replies, any ideas?
    Thanks
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 05-02-11 at 11:32 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

it's most likely your leads, park the car somewhere dark leave the engine running and have a look under the bonnet for any signs of spark from the leads, failing that it sounds like it's due fro another set anyway, so for the $100 they cost i would just buy a set and replace, if it's still missing then you know it's not the leads and you wont have to worry about them for years to come.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hillbilly For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (05-02-11)

Thanks

Recently a mechanic friend brought me a coil pack to test. I did a live test on it and found weak spark for 2 cylinders. Also found that the fault could be identified with a high voltage insulation tester or Megger.
    Best to check the leads first.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Your "power/economy switch" just holds the gear longer for higher rpm shifts.

Your problem is a common one, start with the Leads, id recommend a LPG quality lead as they spark harder.

I have some up now on ebay (shameless plug)

Then after that look at coils and earth connections.

Also take note of your exhaust smell and fuel economy in case your problem is related to your car running rich.

Some of the E series right through to the Au models are known to run rich when the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold is faulty or when the MAP sensor plug is loose or its hose has cracked.

Somewhere in the passenger side firewall sits a small black box with a electrical plug and a hose that runs back to the inlet manifold, look at the hose very carefully, they are known to crack and then let the car run rich and misfire.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (05-02-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

Godzilla, shame your not in Bathurst this weekend or you could have delivered me a set (save postage) and showed me how to install them.

Theres no harm in wishing is there ???
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 05-02-11 at 09:31 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (05-02-11)

Thanks

Im grounded as of last night 4am thanks to my sons driving, and ive got the GTR in a panel shop for a respray when this happened.

Fat chance im going anywhere ATM.

Edit; i was going to post this picture in the FG thread asking if anyone could help and knew why my Ford was making a rattling sound that was coming from the front somewhere.

Last edited by Godzilla; 05-02-11 at 11:36 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

hillbilly (06-02-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

Whooooops !!!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

I'll hope on the lead bandwaggon too. My AU 2 Wag (duel fuel)was missing on gas only.
    Changing leads was fun. Info on my way to replace leads. Raised front via ramps,removed coil pac (3 small screws 7mm from memory. Use small ringy)Pull coil pac & leads down after tying string around leads to pull newies back up. Anyone have a different way?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    id recommend a LPG quality lead as they spark harder.
    Interesting. More info, mate? I run Top Gun 10 mil spiral wire pro's on my misguided missile but always looking for that little extra..
    Last edited by Don Benosee; 06-02-11 at 01:37 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Problem solved !!!
    Number 4 lead is totaly DEAD, no conduction whatso ever (multimeter read Open) so new leads installed BUT still missing on Number 4, stuffed around to eliminate 10 month old Platinums so Son drove back to town (50ks return) before Auto parts closed at 1pm to get a new Coil pack.
    New Coil pack installed, car started and SWEEEEEET music as all Dem Ford Horses galloped into life !!!
    I havent yet tested the Coil but evejn if it looks ok, it like the leads have done 226 K's of faithfull service so what more can I expect ??
    I was actualy eating some chips and gravy, chicken wings and a kebab while my Son and his friend did all the donkey work (aint it grand??) but they didnt seem to have too much of a job fitting the coil pack.
    Thanks everyone.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (06-02-11),hillbilly (06-02-11)

Thanks

Could it be number plate screws. Tried tightening them up a bit? So WTF did he hit that didn't damage the bumper? I bet it was during the big washout last Fri night.

Im grounded as of last night 4am thanks to my sons driving, and ive got the GTR in a panel shop for a respray when this happened.

Fat chance im going anywhere ATM.

Edit; i was going to post this picture in the FG thread asking if anyone could help and knew why my Ford was making a rattling sound that was coming from the front somewhere.

Thanks

Cars when under heavy braking tend to squat at the front and dive under the car in front.

4am, heavy rain, tram tracks on Sydney Rd, car in front goes to slow down to turn right, the kid looks over his shoulder to move into the left lane (bad move not using the mirror), by the time he looked forward the car in front braked much harder....you know the rest.

Im actually happy it happened and he is OK. (i know it sounds strange)

Sometimes you need one good accident to shake you up and make you a better driver.

Good to see you sorted Gordon.

At the Don i just took a look at the Harley listings and there are 3 types of leads offered by Eagle in the street/strip & professional racing range.

A 9mm performance lead set.
    A 10.5mm street/strip racing lead set.
    A 11.0mm Professional racing lead set.

No LPG option for Harelys. LOL

Eagle website, they have a catalog for more info.

Page 84 in catalog.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 06-02-11 at 10:38 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Genus, back in 1994 I bought my first 2nd hand new wagon with all this electonic U-Beaut stuff on it and made the joke that to do any work on it, First remove Number plate and work progressively back to what needs attention.
    Little did I realise how true that was when I came to replace the globe beside the number plate on the Tailgate because to get to the fitting, I had to remove the number plate and 20 minutes later (I timed it) I reached the globe holder.

Being a parent of 2 sons and a daughter I fully understand Godzilla's comment he was relieved his Son was ok after the accident, but isnt that so he can kill him himself ???
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 07-02-11 at 08:13 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (07-02-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post

Being a parent of 2 sons and a daughter I fully understand Godzilla's comment he was relieved his Son was ok after the accident, but isnt that so he can kill him himself ???
    After the mad 4am dash to see if he was OK i was talking to the owner of the other car and promised him once i got home id finish what the accident had failed to do, he actually asked me to take it easy on the boy.

The car is now with a panel shop, 2-3 weeks work they tell me.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 07-02-11 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 707 Posts

No LPG option for Harelys. LOL

Eagle website, they have a catalog for more info.
    Thanks mate, mine are custom, like every single other thing on it. They're about 1.8 metres long cos I moved the coil to just behind the diff .

The eagle 11mm stuff is 325 ohms/m, dunno if I can get any lower. RFI constraints aren't a problem, no-one can hear their car stereo when I pass them anyway
    Last edited by Don Benosee; 08-02-11 at 09:27 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Don Benosee For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (08-02-11)