Thread: Dreambox 500s problem

Thanks

Default Dreambox 500s problem

So I just saw there is a post "How not to blow your DM". Maybe someone can confirm if mine is. Bloody Murphys law.
    So please no posts saying to read that thread as it may be a seperate issue.

When I attempt to set the LNB or use sat find the power light on the front goes off and the screen goes fuzzy but still a static picture remains of what I was last looking at. Nothing then responds. If I reboot the menu works find and I can go to downloads and change other settings. Just the sat stuff.
    I initially thought is was an image problem so tried a fresh gemini and then tried Pli. Both have same result.

Is it blown?
    I think I've learnt an expensive lesson tonight.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

What lesson is that?

Thanks

okay, so you flashed it a few times?

got the lnb earthed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lukebe View Post

When I attempt to set the LNB or use sat find the power light on the front goes off and the screen goes fuzzy but still a static picture remains of what I was last looking at. Nothing then responds ...
    It sounds that you definately have a power supply problem or a 'faulty' tuner module - possibly damaged due to the LNB coax not being earthed

... here is the logic for the above ...

1. You confirmed that all seems to work - except when you do a scan.
    2. During a scan - there is additional volts required to the LNB / Tuner to go through the scan process.
    3. You have visual confirmation - you from LED goes off - voltage drop because PSU is unable to supply enough power suring the scan process.

Your options ...

Good news is that DM500s has an external PSU brick - so first step is to get a replacement - something that can supply 12 V at the rated current. If you are going to get a 3rd party unit - then you would be better off to get a regulated supply - this will give you more stability and hopefully less problems in the future. If the PSU brick is faulty - then a replacement will fix your problem.

If you still have same problem - AFTER testing with a replacemrent PSU that works - then you most likely have an LNB or Tuner problem - check with another LNB first - something you can do. If this does not change anything - still same problem - then its most likely a problem with the tuner and it will need to be replaced. If you DM is one of the models advertized here by Fernbay - it may have a 'removable' tuner - so its easy to replace - otherwise its going to be a soldering iron job

There are some good people here that will be happy to supply you with a replacement ALPs tuner module - at a great price

Hope the above quick diagnose is useful

... the lesson to be learned for all other DM users - EARTH your LNB and never connect whilst power is 'on' ...

Thanks

OK found the problem. A week ago I turned on my dm500s and the power brick make a crackling sound and died. So I ducked over to JayCar and bought a replacement. 12v regulated (5A).
    BUT... I decided to buy the switchable unit for possible other uses. So it has a switch on to to go between 3v and 12v. Not sure how good these are?

But I tested with a stock dm500s power cable and the unit works fine. So it seems that when you go into sat find or the LNB settings it must be drawing more power or something and the PSU I bought from JayCar does not cut it.

I thought I must have blown it due to a relaxed effort I took when moving the dm500s and not having the earth cable connected when I first turned it on. But I quickly rectified that.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lukebe View Post
    OK found the problem. A week ago I turned on my dm500s and the power brick make a crackling sound and died. So I ducked over to JayCar and bought a replacement. 12v regulated (5A).
    BUT... I decided to buy the switchable unit for possible other uses. So it has a switch on to to go between 3v and 12v. Not sure how good these are?
    Are you sure this gives more than 1A at 12v?
    Is it possible that it gives you 5A at 3v and not at 12v?
    You allso have to make sure that it gives you 12v,
    use a multimeter to test this, some universal psu's gives to much or to little
    Hope this could help you.

Thanks

Playa4Life - your right. It was a typo and didn't correct it. The output was 1A.

I purchased a 12V/1.5A unit from JayCar and never skipped a beat since.