Thread: Alive Tv Splitter

Thanks

Default Alive Tv Splitter

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes

I installed a 4 way TV signal splitter under the house a few months ago.
    The signal is split 4 ways 3 go to the individual bedrooms and on the the lounge.
    The splitter is a passive (no power) all metal casing (Obviously for shield)
    To cut a long story short I was under the house today and touched the device and got a boot .
    I went and got my trusty multi meter and measured between the device and a copper gas pipe (assuming the gas pipe was a good earth)
    To my surprise It measured around 112Vac.
    As I said the device is passive and no power injection anywhere I cannot see how this is possible apart from a faulty TV??

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nev View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes
    Moved to Electronics

Yes, great fun when you get a kick when up on a roof.

Sounds like you have a telly with a live tuner

disconect them one by one to find out which one it is

Thanks

This 112 Volts or so is quite commonly measurable on the metal casing of modern equipment having 2 wire mains leads.

Often it is capacitively coupled from the mains by the (high-frequency) bypass capacitors to the chassis and has a relatively high source impedance. In other words you can't pull very much current from the device and it's unlikely to hurt you.

HOWEVER, this same relatively low-power source can wreak havoc with other delicate electronics - you should ALWAYS unplug the mains when moving, removing or adding connections such as A/V inputs/outputs - or in the case of satellite gear - the connections to LNBs and DiSEqC (etc.) switches. In the satellite equipment case the centre pin of F type plugs makes contact before the earth parts of the connection takes place, putting this possible 112 VAC into electronics designed for a maximum of 18 Volts DC....nasty ! RCA leads for A/V connections also connect the centre active pin before the earthy side, that's why you can hear a loud buzz when plugging in audio equipment when it's turned on....LG CTVs hate this !

High-frequency AC from Switch Mode Power Supplies can be capacitively coupled across the SMPS transformer windings, often this can be felt as a burning sensation rather than a "tingle", and again is unlikely to hurt you personally, but you can get hurt by the jump reflex - I stuck a pair of sidecutters into the ceiling tiles once under similar conditions..

UNPLUG before moving connections !

Thanks

I'd be grounding the earth of you antenna system