Thread: Suitable hard drives for DM7000s

Thanks

Default Suitable hard drives for DM7000s

Hi Everyone,

Im looking to replace my hdd in my dream (dm7000s) from the old 60gb ibm which has worked flawlessly for a few years but surely must be due for death to a larger size.

Given the dreams power capacity (lack thereof), Im wondering what drives are everyone actually using in their DM7000s, Im sure in the newer models that they improved the power supply so this more goes back to that series. What brand/model/size are you using and would you recommend.

Its a case of drive is working fine at the moment, but having worked with pcs for over 25 years, my trust in drives (especially with the wear and tear that this drive has been though) isnt good, trust me im paranoid brought on by experience.

Any Suggestions.

Thanks
    Darren

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Hey Darren,

I have had a 160gig Maxtor 5400 rpm in my DM7000 for years with no problem. But yes, it doesn't like the newer 7200rpm jobs etc.

I'd take z80's advice and drop a laptop drive in if i was you.

You could also look at the Cap Mod for the newer 7200rpm drives... but as you understand, it's on the limit, so is it worth the risk?

But the old 160gig has been fine for me, i have 40gig of MP3's and a few 4.6gig DVD's on the HDD all the time and still get heaps of room for recording shows etc

Plus the 5400rpm is nice and quite too

Cheers mate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darren_II View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Im looking to replace my hdd in my dream (dm7000s) from the old 60gb ibm which has worked flawlessly for a few years but surely must be due for death to a larger size.

Given the dreams power capacity (lack thereof), Im wondering what drives are everyone actually using in their DM7000s, Im sure in the newer models that they improved the power supply so this more goes back to that series. What brand/model/size are you using and would you recommend.

Its a case of drive is working fine at the moment, but having worked with pcs for over 25 years, my trust in drives (especially with the wear and tear that this drive has been though) isnt good, trust me im paranoid brought on by experience.

Any Suggestions.

Thanks
    Darren

3.5" HDD's are cheap here under US$100 for a 320gb and this is what we use for replacements when customers ask us to. Have done it about 9 times now for the DM7000 and none of them have missed a beat.
    It is a hobby so mileage varies
    Loving IPTV with XBMC and android M8
    Join in the XBMCHUB community and visit me at http://tvaddons.ag/

Thanks

The biggest problem with the larger drives in the dm7000 has been that the caps on the 5v and 12v rails are pathetically small. I have replaced them with 4700uf/35v and 15000uf/35v respectively and now when the hard disk starts up there is not even the smallest glitch to the picture. Even replacing the caps with original values in a unit a few years old made a very big difference to how long it takes to settle after the drive spinning up.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

I had a 250gb in my 7025,but after a few years my power supply was giving me trouble.
    I replaced the power supply and also installed a 2.5" laptop 160gb and this has been perfect.
    The other issue I had was noise and the laptop drives are very quiet.

Thanks

If you want to use a 3,5" HDD,
    the best for use in DM7000 would be 5400rpm, Samsung or Seagate.
    Because the dont produce much heat, and they are quiet
    Maxtor i cheap, but it produses more heat and noise

Thanks

Cwispy is absolutely right on the ball.

After a few years replace electrolytics in any device that runs ambiently hot.

DM7000's will start falling over as they are the right age for it.

Thanks

Thanks everyone,

I was hoping to use something like a beefy 300gb+ 3.5" drive, but after reading here and elsewhere I think a notebook drive looks to be the answer.

The dream has worked flawlessly, with the only problem being taken out by a power surge on its first day in the new house which blew the motherboard, but outside of that has been fantastic, then again looking out my home office window can see on the electricity pole outside our house one of those great huge stepdown transformers and the two sets of powerlines is no doubt why we blow equipment and lights on a fairly regular basis (in last six months, two adsl plugpacks, two other plugpacks, one adsl modem smoked, 8 cfc light globes, two bathroom extractor fans, one computer power supply and one surge board which gave up its life to protect my multimedia computer) so power is kinda an issue which ive learned the hardway an issue. Fortunatly surge protection boards are fairly reasonable.

Best Regards
    Darren

Thanks

you can get 320g notebook drives.....

Thanks

i have tried numerous 3.5 drives of different brand size and ratings and have always come back to the same thing

my trusty 2.5 laptop drive every time

they produce SFA heat

they are silent

they use less power

they have never caused a single glitch in startup or playback

they don't need any PSU mod

and they are cheap