Thread: Best Nav software for in-car GPS/DVD double din HU

Thanks

Default Best Nav software for in-car GPS/DVD double din HU

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of getting a new car stereo and was looking at getting one of the double din 7" display DVD/GPS units that you see on eBay for $400-$600. The only problem is that the Nav software on most of them is only eval/trail copies.

So thought I'd ask which you think is the better or easier software and why. Also which is cheapest as the cheaper the better as I have very little money hence going for the eBay cheapies.

Also what kind of software do I need PC or PDA etc...etc...

Thanks
    Dalork

Look Here ->
    Thanks

IGO8 - NavNGo - Works just fine on these, you are restricted to the R1 version as there are no australian maps for the newer R3 yet

Does the unit run WinCE 5 or 4.2? This makes a difference, with 5 you can also run tom tom v7 if you want, 4.2 does not work 100% with 7, it's ok with 6

Thanks

NO idea on which OS it will be running as I've not 100% made up my mind on which unit. Just I think most are only running eval copies of the nav software.

I have a little windscreen GPS atm that uses Destinator 6 which is easy to use.

Any idea on where to look/go for good pricing on IGO 8.
    Cheers
    Dalork

Thanks

I wonder, is there some way I can get the GPS software from my little GPS unit to work on this head unit ? It's Destinator 6 and I've been happy enough with it and would save me having to buy new maps/software.
    Cheers
    Dalork

Thanks

Ok the unit I'm looking at is running Win CE5 and currently has Finean Maps GPS software (eval copy only). So does this mean I may have to stay with Finean Maps and pay for full version or just buy/use one of the others.

I'm just after what works but is cheapest to be honest.

This is a link to the unit I'm thinking of buying

Cheers
    Dalork

Thanks

If you can find out what the screen resolution is it may indicate whether this is a good buy or not...

It needs to be 480x272 to be the most compatible with various GPS programs....

Cheers
    Mio Moov 300 Au (Cobia 400)
    MioPocket via SD
    IGO8.0 with Dimka Skin/Tom Tom/Dest8/PolNav/Sygic McGuider/OziCe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StormyKnight View Post
    If you can find out what the screen resolution is it may indicate whether this is a good buy or not...

It needs to be 480x272 to be the most compatible with various GPS programs....

Cheers
    Screen res is 480x234
    Cheers
    Dalork

Thanks

I was thinking of getting one of these

Does anyone know anything about them?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tedy bear View Post
    I was thinking of getting one of these

Does anyone know anything about them?
    Um, the one you posted doesn't have GPS Nav but they do have the same unit with GPS. Looks to be the same as the one I was looking at but the one I was looking at had Digital TV.
    Cheers
    Dalork

Thanks

Sorry i posted the wrong one..

Does the one you are looking at play Divx?..I am just wondering what the quality of these units are..

Thanks

Does the one you are looking at play Divx?..I am just wondering what the quality of these units are..
    No real idea on either count. I would be surprised if it didn't play Divx, but nothing in the listing says. Try sending the seller a message and ask them if it supports it. I've not got anything in Divx format that I know of.

As to the quality, who knows. I was thinking of the unit I posted a link to as it has the longest warranty, which may or may not mean much really. Alot of these units are very cheaply made and some even use refurb parts like the screens. They are all knock-offs from out of China so while they all look the same they could all have different internals. The unit I was looking at seemed to be the most up-to-date as it is the only one I have seen with a DVB-T (digital tuner for FTA TV) and at least they were honest enough to say the Nav software is only for 3 months.

Like all things with eBay and mass made China goods be careful, I'm still uncertain as to which I will go for but most likely the unit I posted and just take a chance.

If your after a certain level of quality then maybe look at high end brand name gear (though it will cost $2k-$3k with sat nav). At the price difference between known brand names and the cheap eBay items I'm thinking of taking the risk as the Kenwood/Pioneer units are just way out of my budget.

You could go middle of the road quality wise, Polaris is meant to be half decent and is around $1,500ish (which are made by Caska, the same company who makes alot of OEM units for most car companies). On a side note the Caska units can be bought for about $800ish without nav software.
    Last edited by Dalork; 04-02-09 at 09:17 AM.
    Cheers
    Dalork

Thanks

Sorry folks as this has all got a little off topic but that happens and it's all good lol.

Tedy Bear, I just got a reply from the seller on eBay about the unit I was looking at. They say it has a screen resolution of 480 x 234, it's compatible with iGo, Tom Tom and Route 66 and can also play Divx.
    Cheers
    Dalork

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dalork View Post
    NO idea on which OS it will be running as I've not 100% made up my mind on which unit. Just I think most are only running eval copies of the nav software.

I have a little windscreen GPS atm that uses Destinator 6 which is easy to use.

Any idea on where to look/go for good pricing on IGO 8.
    Do you want to buy legit, or are you happy with warez?

And what country maps would you require?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silas View Post
    Do you want to buy legit, or are you happy with warez?

And what country maps would you require?
    Quick/easy answer, for now whatever is cheapest or free. But I don't really know what I need or where to look for it in that regards. So if I new what to grab and where to get it for now I would. At very least it would get me by untill I could afford to buy legit at a later stage when money permits maybe.

As to country and maps, Australia and the maps for it.

any help is most welcome
    Cheers
    Dalork

Thanks

If Tom tom works then it would great,..I might have to buy one..

Thanks

Just a quick question on these. I have bought one of these recently. I am waiting for it to come. Hopefully before the next weekend.

The resolution is 480x234. What softwares can run with this resolution and what is best for Australia i.e. latest maps.

Also how to you install the softwares/maps, i.e. copy on SD card and insert the card in the unit.

Thanks

Exclamation gps

Quote Originally Posted by Silas View Post
    IGO8 - NavNGo - Works just fine on these, you are restricted to the R1 version as there are no australian maps for the newer R3 yet

Does the unit run WinCE 5 or 4.2? This makes a difference, with 5 you can also run tom tom v7 if you want, 4.2 does not work 100% with 7, it's ok with 6
    my unit runs wince 5.0 so which software i should use? please tell me can u give me the software
    Last edited by ahmed_28sep; 02-01-12 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ahmed_28sep View Post
    my unit runs wince 5.0 so which software i should use? please tell me can u give me the software

Bazzle

Thanks

i agree with bazzle01, igo is by far the easiest and the best to use, you can even use different skins which can also give you more functions, like skins from Dimka and Girjon.

Also watch out for voice files, if your unit has 64MB of ram then do not use TTS it can crash.