Thread: Replacing House Windows

Thanks

Default Replacing House Windows

Hey Guys,

Im looking at replacing my house windows as they are currently very poor and let the heat and cold in considerably and also let in all the traffic noise.

Im looking a double glazing and looking to install myself.
    Does anyone know of companies that let you do this?
    I saw Bunnings supply Polar Windows but they appear to only come in pre-made sizes.

Thanks
    rewstar
    DM600 & 85cm Motorised Dish

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rewstar View Post
    Hey Guys,

Im looking at replacing my house windows as they are currently very poor and let the heat and cold in considerably and also let in all the traffic noise.

Im looking a double glazing and looking to install myself.
    Does anyone know of companies that let you do this?
    I saw Bunnings supply Polar Windows but they appear to only come in pre-made sizes.

Thanks
    rewstar
    Hi

I think there is a firm in port kennedy that do double glazing.
    you could try google.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brian/100 View Post
    Hi

I think there is a firm in port kennedy that do double glazing.
    you could try google.
    Yes i have tried google thats where i found the bunnings one, but most of the ones you get from google are not DIY.

Cheers

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I thought 'double glazing' was simply 2 panes of glass with a space between but from what little I have read, this isnt so simple as it seems and if you get it wrong, you've not only wasted money but they can cause lots of condensation which is the last thing you want.
    Also the actual glass composition plays a big part of the insulation too.
    Today everybody and his dog is blathering about insulation but windows which are a major area of heat/cold exchange of a house, there appears almost nobody prepared to make suitable windows.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 27-07-11 at 11:33 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by rewstar View Post
    Yes i have tried google thats where i found the bunnings one, but most of the ones you get from google are not DIY.

Cheers
    G'Day Cobber,
    I hardly think this is a DIY project for maximum economy and benefit.
    There are too many ways of doing this depending on your existing infrastructure and how deep your pockets are.
    To be honest you really need professional (NOT Salesman's) advice for your specific situation.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

As said before not exactly a DIY project.
    Also double glazing should only be considered for thermal insulation not so much for sound insulation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    As said before not exactly a DIY project.
    Also double glazing should only be considered for thermal insulation not so much for sound insulation.
    Yes it is more for thermal insulation than sound, also i thought it could be done DIY if i had the frames and glazing made custom to the size i wanted and just fit them myself.
    But i guess it wouldnt cost too much more to get the pros in to fit them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 850 Posts

I have just (in the last month) had to replace every window in my house, mines a brick veneer house with ceiling to floor windows in 80% of the rooms, over time, but most recently with the major wet period VIC went through, we discovered massive leaks that weren't visible inside the house - long story short, water was evacuating the guttering from the inside edge and running down the inside of the exterior brickwork and then leaking to the outside world from under the most bottom piece of wood in the windows (whatever the hell that is called), this in time killed the base of every window in the house.
    I just wish I had the handyman skills to even attempt to do the job myself.
    $17,000.00 dollars later the problem is fixed, but thats not the whole story, 5 years ago when we first noticed the window deterioration we gaped / pointed and repainted the roof ($4500.00) 18 months ago when it was pointed out that things were looking worse we re did the guttering and fascia ($6500.00)
    Thankfully the real estate people tell me I'm not over capitalised on the property yet but jeeze I do feel like it's a money pit

OK, on to the double glazing. My Windows were done by Australian Aluminum Windows Pty Ltd and I'm very happy with the price (I had much higher & lower quotes) and the job done, what landed the job for this company was when I asked for double glazing the salesman immediately told me he wasn't qualified to talk to me and would I mind if he put one of his / their engineers in touch with me. The engineer first contacted me by phone and then came round one Saturday afternoon and spent well over 2 hours going through every detail, the positives and the negatives, and the point that turned me off was the condensation possibilities due to the type of air conditioning and heating I already have installed (Evaporative Plus Reverse Cycle Air con plus In roof Gas ducted) and the atmospherics associated with Melbourne's changeable weather patterns.
    We in the end went with thicker coloured (solar block out) glass.
    Last edited by Seymour Butts; 28-07-11 at 02:04 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Seymour Butts For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (28-07-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

What annoys me is the advise to put heavy curtains etc on windows to control temp transfer because I think if you have to resort to that, you might as well brick the bloody things up altogether.
    Double glazing is used world wide in all sorts of climatic conditions succesfully as far as I am aware but here, it seems to be like asking for the whereabouts of the Holy Grail !!
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I made a double glazed skylight for my house a few years back.

Went to a glass place in huntingdale maybe pilkington???? (it was over 15 years ago)
    Tinted Laminated argon filled (about $150 for 600x600)
    It came as a pre assembled unit with aluminum strip to keep the glass apart and tones of black silicone to keep the argon in
    I designed and had a sheetmetal place fold up a colourbond tray/soaker.
    a few pop rivots some silicone,to be assembled and installed above my shower.

So I would imagine you could get off the shelf frames and have the glass fitted.
    Obviously wood would be easier as the chanell isnt pre set like cast aluminium and thickness can be adjusted by nailing on the beading .

Havent done the maths but it might be cheaper than off the shelf ???
    Time in chasing is also a factor.

Thanks

ive been thinking about it and been looking at the double window system, this is where an identical window setup is installed behind the existing window

ALUMINIUM WINDOWS

The existing aluminium window is measured and a new Double Window is manufactured to specifications.

The new Double Window is then installed behind the original window frame, which is retained, and within the internal reveals adjacent to the existing window.

Installations usually take less than half an hour per window and without the inconvenience that is usually associated with a window replacement such as delays, lengthy site works, architrave removal/replacement, painting etc.

Our Double Window System is a cost effective solution for existing windows. Compared with most other systems on the market this product provides superior noise insulation, particularly when using laminated glass.

The Double Window System is barely perceptible from the outside. Therefore it is the ideal solution for noise and thermal control in flats, units and other higher density dwellings where body corporates may have controls on the external appearance of buildings.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 28-07-11 at 06:21 PM.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    What annoys me is the advise to put heavy curtains etc on windows to control temp transfer because I think if you have to resort to that, you might as well brick the bloody things up altogether.
    Double glazing is used world wide in all sorts of climatic conditions succesfully as far as I am aware but here, it seems to be like asking for the whereabouts of the Holy Grail !!
    I think it's the perception that we don't 'need' them that has stifled the market, having stayed in the north of China and Russia during colder months I know how effective they are