Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Tax passes through the Senate!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Default Carbon Tax passes through the Senate!!

And now the fun or pain begins! I think both the Greens ans Labor will suffer for this.
    The Eagle Flies High!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Beauty.

The Labor party really are the tax party. They spend and spend until there is nothing left, then invoke new taxes to pay the interest bills.

I shudder to think of the state this country would be in if we werent resource rich.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The Greens won't stop until they've financially crippled this country even if we are resources rich and with Labor's help who knows how far they'll get to reaching their goal.

Brown and Milne keep spruiking the Carbon Tax was what the Australian People wanted which I find strange when most of the Polls taken have shown the vast majority of the Australian People were against it. Do the Greens live in a Dream World all of their own or do they grow large quantities of Magic Mushrooms in Tasmania?
    The Eagle Flies High!

• The Following User Says Thank You to eaglem For This Useful Post:

bambbbam (08-11-11)

Thanks

Sad, sad day for all Australians present and future.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arbiter For This Useful Post:

ageno2gen1 (08-11-11),roosta (08-11-11),toyboy11 (08-11-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eaglem View Post
    And now the fun or pain begins! I think both the Greens ans Labor will suffer for this.
    I hope so!!
    Stop being so stupid.. it’s my turn!!

Thanks

Default Good

And about time too. I'm glad they've had the guts to do something. It may well not be the perfect solution, but at least we've started on the path.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrew_oz For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (08-11-11),gl007 (08-11-11),poiuytrewq (08-11-11)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_oz View Post
    And about time too. I'm glad they've had the guts to do something. It may well not be the perfect solution, but at least we've started on the path.
    And when will the other nations start? If you don't have China and India commit to a Carbon Tax or Reduction scheme who are the biggest polluters then we're all wasting our time. After the 3 years of Carbon Tax and when it reverts to the open market and the finances controlled by the UN you will see all sorts of rorts happening at our expense. How, after three years when the government gets no funding from it will the Government be able to subsidise Pensioners and Low Wage Earners for the increasing costs of living?

Both the Greens and Labor have committed Political Suicide over this issue and that can be guaranteed.
    The Eagle Flies High!

Thanks

China pumps out 40 times as much CO2 as us, and will be 80 times as much within a decade.

Unless China, India & the U.S. start on the road too, it's a complete and utter waste of time and money.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bambbbam For This Useful Post:

eaglem (09-11-11)

Thanks

Sad but true.
    We are minor players in the global CO2 equation. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing anything about our bit. We could all just sit on our hands and wait for someone else to do something else.

• The Following User Says Thank You to andrew_oz For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (08-11-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

sad but true.
    We are minor players in the global co2 equation. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing anything about our bit. We could all just sit on our hands and wait for someone else to do something else.
    lol!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

China will impose a carbon tax on industry from 2012 to curb carbon dioxide emissions, a business newspaper reported late yesterday.

The Chinese language Economic Information Daily quoted official sources in the Ministry of Finance as saying the tax would start at 20 yuan (£1.95) per tonne of carbon dioxide, and rise to 50 yuan a tonne by 2020.

The tax would equate to 11 yuan per tonne of coal and 17 yuan per tonne of oil.

"The next step will be stepping up the pace in resource tax reform, and after these reforms, in 2012 or 2013, we will introduce a carbon tax, but one with a low starting point," an unnamed source told the paper.

The decision came after a recent survey conducted by officials in the Ministry concluded that a tax was the most efficient method of reducing carbon emissions from industry.

The Ministry of Finance study also said the tax reforms may include concessions for industries that would be heavily affected by the levy, provided that the businesses agree to work towards reducing energy consumption and emissions.

Revenue from the tax would be used to fund energy-saving and environmentally friendly industries, the newspaper reported. It also said that the central government would allow local governments to distribute up to a third of the tax revenue to regional schemes.

China is the world's biggest emitter of greenhouse gases from human activity and has been facing international pressure to curb greenhouse emissions. The country has significantly increased investment in low-carbon technologies and recently secured the top spot as the world's largest clean tech investor. However, until now few policy or tax measures have been introduced to cut emissions.

The government has vowed to cut "carbon intensity" – the amount of carbon dioxide emitted to create each unit of economic value – by 40 to 45 per cent by 2020, compared with 2005 levels, as part of the international Copenhagen Accord agreement.

But improved economic activity since the recession has made those targets harder to reach and Chinese premier Wen Jiabao warned last week that he is willing to use an "iron hand" to close down the most carbon-intensive factories to ensure the targets are met.

Wen laid out new targets to shut down 10GW of outdated small coal-fired plants, reduce capacity at the worst-performing iron smelting plants by 25 million tonnes, cut steel production at older facilities by six million tonnes, and similarly scale back cement production by 50 million tonnes.

Some city-wide and regional carbon trading schemes are also in place, but have failed as yet to establish a strong price on carbon.

India

India sets emission levels for 563 of the country's biggest polluters, such as power and, steel mills and cement plants, allowing businesses who use more energy to buy carbon certificates from those who use less. Trading will start in 2014.

Nationwide, it has a carbon tax (1 July 2010) of 50 rupees/tonne ($1.07/tonne) of coal produced in and imported to India.

In comparison to many other of its Asian counterparts, India's carbon pricing schemes are ambitious. They reflect an urgent need to curb emission rates from a country that – with four times the population of the US, an economy growing 8-9 per cent a year, and surging energy demand – makes it the country with the third highest carbon emissions.

Although it has refused to accept legally binding targets, India has pledged to reduce "carbon emissions intensity" - that is, carbon emissions per unit of GDP - by 20-25% from 2005 levels by 2020. But there are concerns about how both carbon initiatives will evolve because of a lack of data and trained manpower as well as weak penalties for firms that refuse to comply. Nonetheless, India's tax on coal is one of the first carbon taxes enacted at the national level by any major economy in the world.
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

And if you seriously believe that, I have a bridge in Sydunny for sale.
    Enjoy your next power and gas bill and the tax that "my gumbymint will never introduce" has imposed upon it.
    I feel all warm and fuzzy now knowing that my additional taxes are going to pay for a lie that in the end, will do SFA to benefit the planet.
    Did anyone irrefutably manage to prove the simple equation that C02=Global warming?
    Didn't think so.
    Do you seriously think that countries like China are going to ape us?
    Naivety is so common amongst fools.
    Must hug a few trees tomorrow, except the greenie loonies reckon cutting them down and building houses out of 'em somehow prevents them leeching that C02 into the atmosphere.
    But let's not let the facts get in the way of a good old fashioned public purse raping.

Memo to juliar's closet supporters: I hold you all personally accountable for the economic havoc the rest of us "normal thinking real people" are about to endure.
    Common sense is not all that common these days it seems.
    Note: Someone please quote me asap before I get banned from this thread....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arbiter For This Useful Post:

remote (08-11-11),weirdo (08-11-11)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    ... there you go mate

• The Following User Says Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (08-11-11)

Thanks

Remind me to send you a Christmas card.....

Thanks

Thank cripes for that. Let me know when the sky falls in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Remind me to send you a Christmas card.....
    Arbiter, remember to send powerzone a Christmas card.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to intelliGEORGE For This Useful Post:

Arbiter (08-11-11),exited (08-11-11),Learjet (09-11-11),urban_s0ulja (09-11-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

And if you seriously believe that, I have a bridge in Sydunny for sale.
    Enjoy your next power and gas bill and the tax that "my gumbymint will never introduce" has imposed upon it.
    I feel all warm and fuzzy now knowing that my additional taxes are going to pay for a lie that in the end, will do SFA to benefit the planet.
    Did anyone irrefutably manage to prove the simple equation that C02=Global warming?
    Didn't think so.
    Do you seriously think that countries like China are going to ape us?
    Naivety is so common amongst fools.
    Must hug a few trees tomorrow, except the greenie loonies reckon cutting them down and building houses out of 'em somehow prevents them leeching that C02 into the atmosphere.
    But let's not let the facts get in the way of a good old fashioned public purse raping.

Memo to juliar's closet supporters: I hold you all personally accountable for the economic havoc the rest of us "normal thinking real people" are about to endure.
    Common sense is not all that common these days it seems.
    I'll do you an uncensored one mate

Sad but true.
    We are minor players in the global CO2 equation. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing anything about our bit. We could all just sit on our hands and wait for someone else to do something else.
    Explain to me how this is gonna 'do our bit' ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

Arbiter (08-11-11)

Thanks

It's easy to explain:
    If you make lots of nasty carbon in say, the electrickery making industry, us taxpayers will now pay mucho moolah for you to find better, less "yucky" ways to stay in business.
    While you're (ahem) "busy" finding clean, green fighting machine ways of hiding your nasty nasty carbon over the next 50 odd years, please feel free to jack up your prices - now that we all feel guilty for turning on a light bulb.
    Problem is, we all have to increase productivity to pay the higher bills which means we all make more life-threatening nastygas to survive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eaglem View Post
    The only ones that will suffer from this is us,
    We are going to be out of pocket big time!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Its like watching a car accident about to happen.I am sure all the pink batt installers and builders with BER contracts didnt profit either and listened to Gillard's warnings

This country will soon have the corruption levels of European Government with Labor and the Greens running it. We are rapidly going in to reverse gear.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_oz
    We are minor players in the global CO2 equation.
    Yet pay the biggest price in the world. Great stuff indeed.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing anything about our bit.
    Our bit is to try and force the biggest polluting countries to tone it down. But thats too hard. Instead we have a "carbon tax" that doesnt actually reduce any carbon, just lines the free spending Labor Governments pockets with more money to splurge on idiotic stunts that the Greens want.

We could all just sit on our hands and wait for someone else to do something else.
    No, instead we are going to shoot our selves in the foot instead.

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast