Thread: Noisy been heat pump water heater

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Noisy been heat pump water heater

Just wondering is anyone has any ideas on this one.

I have a 325 rheem heat pump heater, the recall has been done however the unit constantly vibrates and is so loud it can be heard inside the house when it's running.

If I apply slight pressure on the fan assembly the vibration stops. Could this be due to the recall not being carried out correctly?

Has someone had a similar problem?

2. Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I would suggest you have it inspected ASAP because the fan unit shouldnt vibrate like that.
    Either its out of balance or not properly secured, either of which could result in the units failure.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

steveandnadine (26-04-12)

Thanks

...or try to get a refund and buy a Stiebel.
    Most of the well-known brand heat pumps are... let's say.... not good.

Premium Member

Thanks

If these are like many appliances sold in Australia today, its where it was unloaded out of the container from China where it was made and had a 'brand' name applied along with the usual spurious claims that it is the 'Best'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I have one of these Rheem Heatpump HWH. Ours was making the same noise this was before the recall. The vibration eventually damaged the copper pipe which holds the refrigerant gas. The pipe began to leak. It was fixed under warranty. I sugest contact Rheem soon rather than later. The heater still has the top element which gave us hot water untill the heater had its service. I am happy with the heater now but I did think I had purchased the wrong heater.

Premium Member

Thanks

Having an electric element sort of defeats the 'GREEN' purpose of those units along with having an electricaly powered pump to make them work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Having an electric element sort of defeats the 'GREEN' purpose of those units along with having an electricaly powered pump to make them work.
    No need to bring logical thinking into it. Same can be said for electric cars where you are just moving the problem from the car and actually polluting more due to the electricity generation.

Back on topic, if its vibrating then there is a problem and i would get it fixed asap. No need to do more damage by letting the problem go.

As far as the noise, well heat pumps are not a quiet unit. Ive have worked for customers that have them and from inside the bathroom where i was working you could hear it running on the opposite end of the house. I had to go out side and check out the noise and sure enough it was the heat pump and it sounded like a wall mounted air conditioner.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to viper5150 For This Useful Post:

officemanager (30-04-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Having an electric element sort of defeats the 'GREEN' purpose of those units.........
    Quantum heat pumps do not have an element of any sort, and the electric compressor uses less power than the element in the panel type solar systems.
    Ours has been very efficient compared to gas or electric.

On the O.P.s question, if the vibration stops when you put pressure on the fan unit, it needs balancing. If it is still under warranty, get them back to fix it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ptrott For This Useful Post:

Tiny (08-05-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ptrott View Post
    Quantum heat pumps do not have an element of any sort, and the electric compressor uses less power than the element in the panel type solar systems.
    Ours has been very efficient compared to gas or electric.

On the O.P.s question, if the vibration stops when you put pressure on the fan unit, it needs balancing. If it is still under warranty, get them back to fix it.
    You're on the money ptrott!

I had the techs out yesterday and the problem was that the compressor unit which sits in front of the main heater was not supported by a base and was just hanging off the unit in the air.

The compressor was falling forward and pulling some other parts with it.

We used one of the fly by night mobs to buy the heater from when the government was handing out big rebates, and they did a half arsed install.

If anyone else bought one of these systems under the same scheme, it would be worth checking the footings around the compressor.

Good news is, that now it's stabilised the noise has gone and cost us nothing to fix.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to steveandnadine For This Useful Post:

Tiny (08-05-12)

Thanks

just out of interest , are the heat pump HWHs saving you any noticeable amounts of money?
    i was unsure so i bought and mothballed a conventional tank before the plumber's co-op stopped stocking them.