Thread: New Home - Good Alarm System

Thanks

Default New Home - Good Alarm System

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a new home and although alarm installation will be some months off, I'd like to start the ball rolling on what to get. In my last home I had a basic NX4 with reed-switches on the front/back doors and a few PIRs.

Now I'm a married man and want the family to be safe and so going for a full perimeter + PIR setup.

I would like to get a system with IP monitoring (is there a standard protocol for this?) as I don't plan on having a PSTN phone.

I never really like the NX and after some initial research I thought the Bosch Solution 64 looked alright and I liked the prox-card option for unlocking the front door.

Does anyone have any better options than the Bosch, am I being too harsh on the NX gear?

All advice will be appreciated!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

You are doing well. 64 is only required for more than 16 zones otherwise a Solution 16+ will be fine (and can also support prox-reader). Alternatively you could use a remote keyfob to open the door and it doubles as a portable panic button (and a great way to accidentally arm the system when you sit on it in your back pocket).

The Bosch's native IP system isn't great or widely supported (and it relies on PSTN as a backup) so you'd do well hooking a 3rd party IP communicator to it. Which one you choose probably depends on to whom you will entrust your monitoring as they're all relatively similar in function.

Thanks

You are being a little harsh on the NX/Reliance product as it's actually quite good. The R128 supports 16 zones out of the box (max of 128 with expanders) and will also support upto 4 prox readers for doors etc. In reality, so long as the product you choose isn't NESS, DSC, or Crow, you'll be sweet.

For full perimeter security, that depends where you are in the country. Here in the west, we use a combination of shock sensors, shock/reed combos, and shatterpoints with break glass and standard reeds as required in odd situations. In the east, most look at you funny when you suggest you'd like shock sensors. In reality, unless you have some form of shock on most windows, you're doing it wrong.

For IP communication Dan's started you off on the right foot. Just don't rely on a single IP path via ADSL as there are too many possible points of failure. IE: Loose power and unless you have a UPS on your router, it's all over saving poll failures which may occur upto an hour or worst case 24hrs following the event. Your safest bet is to ensure some form of wireless transmission path is used as primary or backup.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

The NX has a talking code pad

Thanks

Default Higher class choices

If you want to get away from the basic domestic security systems, take a look at Inner Range. The concept panel has 16 zones, and has high level interface to the Fratech IP module which uses GSM and Internet for comms.
    If you want to add access control, the options are many and varied also.
    Just be sure the tech you use is Inner Range certified to ensure you get all the features available!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    You are being a little harsh on the NX/Reliance product as it's actually quite good. The R128 supports 16 zones out of the box (max of 128 with expanders) and will also support upto 4 prox readers for doors etc. In reality, so long as the product you choose isn't NESS, DSC, or Crow, you'll be sweet.
    Some of the NX panels well and truly are crap which should have disappeared years ago. However, some of the panels are also quite good.

In turn, you've been unfair on NESS and DSC, both of whom make some excellent gear. Unfortunately their (how I should I put this) less impressive hardware is still sold by distributors appealing to the low-rent installer market. Most vendors now have modern/decent gear and old/crap for sale side by side and it is a real shame they haven't declared their outdated gear to be end-of-life and told the tightarses to go jump. Instead they claim that there is "still a demand for it". Well guess what vendors, there would still be a demand for Windows 95 if Microsoft still sold it. Except they don't. Learn from that.

Bosch are also guilty of this. Their Solution 16+ and 64 are quite good (albeit starting to get a bit long in the tooth). However they still flog the old EDM designed panels e.g. the Solution 16 and Ultima.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 24-05-12 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks

Hi.

I use Direct Wireless on my system. It's basically a unit with a Next G SIM card that communicates with the moniotoring Provider. Prices vary for this service.

I'm lucky because i work for the monitoring centre and get it for $1 a week!

In the time i've had direct wireless, my alarm's NEVER missed a transmission, and never dropped off the network. Also, NO call costs involved.

Thanks

I am getting a bad case of deja vu.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

watchdog (29-05-12)

Thanks

Default ..

I like the DAS panels.

I was in thier showroom a few months back, they had a LCD touchscreen product on display but i haven't really heard much about it since...

Thanks

Paradox!?
    LCD touch screen
    Iphone app
    GSM or GPRS comms modules

Cheap too!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dean_woody View Post

Cheap too!
    where are you buying it from, notice they have a counterfeit warning on their site and the nearest legitimate distribution is listed as The Bahamas

Thanks

Dean has a secret underground warehouse full of them, which is stocked by women who bring them in strapped to their undergarments.