Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: How to watch Netflix in Australia

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I thought I might post this just as a matter of interest.

I am currently having internet problems, most likely due to my request to change from ADSL to ADSL2. My connection works, but my picture quality when using services like Netflix is noticeable.

My WD Live TV receiver shows a picture at the worst of times as good as standard definition, quite watchable. The Roku on the otherhand is useless , pretty much unwatchable. I moved both around to different places, made changes via ethernet and wireless etc etc.

If your connection is a bit dodgy, the Roku gives up while the WD marches on.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (21-08-12),OSIRUS (10-10-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

bigger buffer in the WD maybe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete123 View Post
    I really like the Roku player. The interface is nice and clean, it's all very straightforward. The remote is simple with only a few buttons so no issues doing anything in the dark (although I think the motion controller for games is a bit useless). There's also an app for your phone you can use as the remote.

I was a bit annoyed when I realised it didn't stream video straight from the network drive (it seems weird because it seems to play most stuff if you put it on a usb drive and plug it in the back) but I've got Plex set up now which solved that issue.

The only problem I have with it is there is no volume option. The volumes seem to vary quite a lot between different channels and it would be nice if it had it's own volume control rather than having to get the tv or amp remote out.
    Can't help you with volume as such but i want to thank you for your post i looked plex as i didn't know what it was and after playing around for hours cause I'm not smart enough i worked out i needed the server and the media so now i have it set up on both comps and even stream all my stuff through the wd to the samsung.

Thanks.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    my request to change from ADSL to ADSL2.
    I have often found a far more stable and faster connection on ADSL1, even in ADSL2+ areas....
    I had a Telstra worker explain it to me one day while we were at the same job, he said he see's it ALL the time..

Sorry that i have forgotten the details behind why.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I have often found a far more stable and faster connection on ADSL1, even in ADSL2+ areas....
    I had a Telstra worker explain it to me one day while we were at the same job, he said he see's it ALL the time..

Sorry that i have forgotten the details behind why.
    That's what Internode told me also when I had the trouble with Telstra and had same problem when i cross to them even though I was adsl2 not sure how they done it but shaped to to adsl1 top speed 8mbts and never had any problems.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Which has the most processing power???

I say that, as i have a cheap Android phone, it is hopeless for watching Youtube or Streaming Radio etc... everything on it is SLOW... YET, tether it to an Iphone or Laptop, and they fly!!

So... you could of easy blamed the connection speed, but depending on what device is being used, the Real Time usability is drastically different....
    You could say the others buffer more... but they also just load faster and play straight away, before anything has really buffered.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

For those who may still have a No Ip entry in their router
    Have had internet problems for the last 4 days but think i traced it to NoIp which i had entered into the router for when i had Foxtel active. I am not sure when i entered the DNS numbers for Unblock us it may have caused a conflict. Removed it re entered the DNS numbers all is well.
    This resulted from a message from Telstra stating i had a bot in a computer in the lan and to go to Spamhouse and remove it. Doubt if there was a Bot but am sure there was a conflict of some sort
    Am i barking up the wrong tree?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

I can report that I took back my wd tv live and got a wd tv live streaming player and I'm all up and running

• The Following User Says Thank You to Adobe For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (10-10-12)

Thanks

Thanks for the tip on how to watch Netflix here in Australia.

I tried it this morning and it worked, I was able to watch a documentary on my iPad this morning.

I managed to open a US Itunes account without using a Gift card or Credit Card.

Went up town this morning to purchase a Apple TV at JB HIFI. Walked around the store with a Apple TV about to pay for it, when I saw the Boxee Box for $164.00. I thought they where a lot dearer than that, so I swapped the Apple TV for the Boxee Box.

I hope I can get Netflix to work on the Boxee.

Thanks

I can confirm, Netflix works perfectly with Boxee Box. Very happy with my purchase. The quality is awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsart View Post
    Thanks for the tip on how to watch Netflix here in Australia.

I tried it this morning and it worked, I was able to watch a documentary on my iPad this morning.

I managed to open a US Itunes account without using a Gift card or Credit Card.

Went up town this morning to purchase a Apple TV at JB HIFI. Walked around the store with a Apple TV about to pay for it, when I saw the Boxee Box for $164.00. I thought they where a lot dearer than that, so I swapped the Apple TV for the Boxee Box.

I hope I can get Netflix to work on the Boxee.
    You're lucky you went with the Boxee as the current Apple tv's would be the ATV3. There is no jailbreak for these models (yet) so you would have been disappointed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    You're lucky you went with the Boxee as the current Apple tv's would be the ATV3. There is no jailbreak for these models (yet) so you would have been disappointed.
    Yeh, I think you would have been correct in regards to the Apple TV, I would have been very disappointed with it. Is it just me, or is Apple going backwards.

The Boxee is far superior to a Apple TV in my opinion, I own the 1st generation Apple TV so I can't compare with a 2nd or 3rd generation. I always used Boxee app on my 1st Generation Apple TV, but the latest ATV Flash update, deleted Boxee of my Apple TV, was not happy about that. It only happened yesterday, spent the best part of yesterday trying to reinstall Boxee onto my Apple TV with no success.

Very impressive quality coming out of the Boxee Box, I can recommend the Boxee. Especially with the price I paid. Apparently the Local store here, someone marked the wrong price on it, It was suppose to be $250.00
    They had to sell to me for the advertised price of $164.00 They soon corrected the price as soon I left. Lucky Me.

Had no problems getting Netflix working. Was up and running within 5 minutes.
    Last edited by phillipsart; 29-08-12 at 03:58 PM.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

I've got a boxee box and the only problem was Vudu has a restriction not to allow rental
    of Disney movies and also it's banned from Huluplus by NBC only on Boxee. Those companies
    weren't happy with boxee apps on PC's I think. You can Rent and watch Vudu 3d Half-SBS or
    Half Over-Under format after enabling 3d viewing in Boxee settings.
    What I like about vudu is they accept Australian credit cards and you can preview 2 minutes of any Vudu movie.
    Last edited by pheggie; 29-08-12 at 11:33 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pheggie View Post
    What I like about vudu is they accept Australian credit cards and you can preview 2 minutes of any Vudu movie.
    And the quality !

Thanks

I thought I might post this just as a matter of interest.

I am currently having internet problems, most likely due to my request to change from ADSL to ADSL2. My connection works, but my picture quality when using services like Netflix is noticeable.

My WD Live TV receiver shows a picture at the worst of times as good as standard definition, quite watchable. The Roku on the otherhand is useless , pretty much unwatchable. I moved both around to different places, made changes via ethernet and wireless etc etc.

If you can, go back to ADSL 1, go back, unless you live basically next door to an exchange ADSL 2 is crap. Otherwise get them to reduce the speed on the ADSL 2 and you will have a much faster and more reliable connection.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    Do you need to jailbreak a Apple TV 3rd generation to get Netflix?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

registered with vudu and have an amazon prime trial running, but can't get my aus credit card accepted as it wont pass address verification us sites use.

anyone got an answer ?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Sanity mentioned in an earlier post that works for some and not others and suggested using these guys

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    registered with vudu and have an amazon prime trial running, but can't get my aus credit card accepted as it wont pass address verification us sites use.

anyone got an answer ?
    Yep , what Bagman said

You are best off working out what you want to subscribe to, how much its going to cost and then factor in a bit more for movies you pay for such as on Vudu and buy a card or cards from here

These cards are great and work on everything, follow the instructions he sends and you can register them to a US address. Simply Google a real estate listing for Oregon or Delaware (they dont have sales tax) and keep a note of the address so you can use it for any transactions that require a US address. Use the real estate companies phone number as the phone number so if any service requires one on sign up you can use it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (09-09-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

You can also buy gift cards once you have accounts setup, but you still need a valid credit card on file. Example, sign up with Hulu with one of the credit cards in my last post. Say after that you only have $20 left on the card. Buy a Hulu gift voucher for 6 months, enter the code, they wont attempt to bill the credit card for 6 months.

"buyfrompowerseller" sells them, but at a mark up. You can buy them yourself with the credit card directly from the particular services website.

You can do the same with Netflix and Amazon, not sure about others.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (09-09-12)

• Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast