Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hills Reliance 8 Security Alarm

Thanks

Default Hills Reliance 8 Security Alarm

Hi
    I'll start by apologising if this has been asked before.....
    I have an intermittent fault when the alarm is unarmed in that the internal sounder occasionally goes off for no apparent reason
    There's no regular pattern to this sometimes it goes off three times in a day for a minute or so and other times it's OK for a week or more
    The panel is an RAC branded similar to a HILLS Series LCD Code Pad with the exception there is no LCD screen just a numbered screen indicating which sensor/zone is active
    Some of the sensors are hard wired and some battery powered, I've changed all the batteries along with the panel battery
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Is this wired for back to base ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    Is this wired for back to base ?
    Hi
    I don't understand your question......

Thanks

Watch Dog is asking is it monitored by a Control Room and if so have you contacted them to see if it has sent any signals when the noise occurs, I gather when you say internal,sounder you are talking about the internal screamer mounted somewhere in the house not the keypad buzzer

Thanks

Thanks
    It does not have remote monitoring, internal screamer is indeed what I have been referring to

Thanks

Disconnect it. An unmonitored alarm is little more than a noisemaking nuisance. Problem solved.

Thanks

If you want to keep using the system, get a tech out. There's an obscure issue with the aux output powering the internal siren. It can be overcome without changing the panel but to be honest, the panel should be replaced provided there's not something stupid like a single strand of copper hanging across to another terminal causing the intermittant fault.

Thanks

I have seen a couple of NX/Reliance panels get sticky/leaking relays on the AUX Outputs

Changed the device to a different AUX Output or physically wire in a relay fixes the problem.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

leaky relay ???

Thanks

Here we go again............

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

My appologies if you don't like it when I take people to task when they talk BS

Thanks

I understand sticking relays, but how does one diagnose and treat a leaky relay.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bss904 View Post
    ...but how does one treat a leaky relay.
    Selleys No More Caps!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    Selleys No More Caps!

Thanks George, I have just rubbed my fingers around all of my relays and they are all dry. Does this mean they are still okay, or they have all leaked out and are empty now. How does one refill them again, or are they factory sealed.

Thanks

Sorry for a incorrect term "leaky", but it is the best I could describe the following problem.

I had on a few occassions seen a few NX16 panels where the Auxiliary Output 1 on the NO circuit have its relay stuck with the circuit supplying a very minimal amount of voltage of around 1-6volts. Thus the strobe would flash every minute or two all day/night when the system was not in alarm.

While when the system was in alarm, the Auxiliary Output 1 would operate as normal.

Thanks

I too have had a similar problem with a "leaky" relay on a Solution 16, whereby a piezo screamer connected between COM+ and the NO contact of the on-board relay would emit a very soft sound, due to the presence of a few volts across the screamer. (I know in theory this shouldn't happen, but I'm just telling you what I've experienced in the "real world"). A 3k3 resistor wired across the screamer fixed the problem.

Thanks

Default Hills Reliance 8

Quote Originally Posted by Bob P View Post
    Hi
    I'll start by apologising if this has been asked before.....
    I have an intermittent fault when the alarm is unarmed in that the internal sounder occasionally goes off for no apparent reason
    There's no regular pattern to this sometimes it goes off three times in a day for a minute or so and other times it's OK for a week or more
    The panel is an RAC branded similar to a HILLS Series LCD Code Pad with the exception there is no LCD screen just a numbered screen indicating which sensor/zone is active
    Some of the sensors are hard wired and some battery powered, I've changed all the batteries along with the panel battery
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    I have the same problem - unit is 3 years old - what is the fix? Thanks

Thanks

I had something similar awhile ago, I changed the outdoor siren & it has been good since

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alarmman View Post
    I too have had a similar problem with a "leaky" relay on a Solution 16, whereby a piezo screamer connected between COM+ and the NO contact of the on-board relay would emit a very soft sound, due to the presence of a few volts across the screamer. (I know in theory this shouldn't happen, but I'm just telling you what I've experienced in the "real world"). A 3k3 resistor wired across the screamer fixed the problem.
    Sol 16i needs a 3k3 resistor across the NO contact because it has a very low voltage because they say its a monitored output. In the box they used to have an update on a piece of paper which explained it to you. But im guessing like most Techs, these dont get read and thrown out.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TechBoy View Post
    Sol 16i needs a 3k3 resistor across the NO contact because it has a very low voltage because they say its a monitored output. In the box they used to have an update on a piece of paper which explained it to you. But im guessing like most Techs, these dont get read and thrown out.
    Lets put this topic to bed once and for all. Relay outputs are a simple on/off function & by their very nature will have no voltage on the contacts unless it is put there from an external source or there is some major structural damage to the relay itself. There is no such thing as "leakage" from the primary relay coil to the switching contacts.
    Solution 16i panels do not have a relay output so you can disregard Techboys reply. The 16i has four open collector outputs.

Open collector outputs are entirely different and by the design criteria applied to the base biasing can be made to have its collector/emitter junction o/c , s/c or anything inbetween. By designing the o/p to have a very small amount of current then the output load can be supervised to determine that it is still in circuit by monitoring this "supervisory" current. This current is so low as to not affect most loads ( horn speakers and strobes ) Unfortunately peizo screamers operate on a very low current & the supervisory current is enough to cause them to operate at a very low level.Putting the shunt resistor in circuit bypasses enough of this current from the peizo to stop this happening.

On the Bosch (solution except 16i) panels there IS a relay output provided and it IS the designated peizo output. You CAN use it for other things and you CAN put the peizo on an O.C output but you NEED to KNOW what you are doing and stop bleeting about things not working properly.

ahh - forum withdrawal over , feel much better.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast