Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASIAL - Security Tech Certification

Thanks

Default ASIAL - Security Tech Certification

Hi -
    Has anyone seen the latest scheme from ASIAL?

Looks like a certification programme for technicians, not sure at this point if its a "must do" or if its for new technicians entering the industry.

No doubt it will become mandatory and a cash grab to go along side our license.

Thoughts?

grrr

Keith

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Exclamation Certification

Thought/Think the same thing.......

So I checked with an industry/ASIAL/VSI insider here in Vic who IS connected, and it is being promoted as a "pathway to heaven" yet as ASIAL are NOT an RTO, the scheme has no academic legs........

With sooooooo many of the currently registered RTO's and TAFE's etc having Cert 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 etc in Sec Tech and with gov't backing/funding/un-funding......me wonders where it may/may not end.

Applaud the notion of a centralised point for directing the acreditation and upskilling but come on!........ Get it together.....

Will be watching....

• The Following User Says Thank You to Shane-Lott For This Useful Post:

Crowie (10-06-13)

Thanks

I think the idea has a lot of merit.

Thanks

They are only going up to Cert 2, and very little classroom time. May as well be an apprenticeship. We are running a Cert IV through RMIT, and the guys get an 'A' Grade to boot.

Thanks

until a governing body starts doing something about the shit standard of work out there already i reckon its a waste of time.

i wouldnt mind if every now and again i went to a job that was of semi decent standard, but they dont exist.

Thanks

they might better spend their time getting rid of the corrupt operators and companys, including "shonky consultants" that display that they are members of this elite club than trying to impliment another money making grab from the industry. I would of thought a program to name, shame & remove these scumbags would be far more benificial to the industry. Even a shame page on their web site would be a good start, but we all know that isn't going to happen whilst they collect money from them for membership.

Thanks

Is anyone planning in enroling in the security technician certification headache again

Thanks

I am looking for credit from current Cert III or Cert IV... not seeing any sign of RPL yet.

Banned
    Thanks

Default stop bad work

Rge best way to fix all the bad work out there is easy.
    Every panel that is installed must have a photo taken of inside wiring and panel location.
    all pictures are to be sent to australian standards and keeped on record of installer and name.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techy21 View Post
    Rge best way to fix all the bad work out there is easy.
    Every panel that is installed must have a photo taken of inside wiring and panel location.
    all pictures are to be sent to australian standards and keeped on record of installer and name.
    You're kidding right?

By the way, is a photo of the installation I did this morning just before breakfast.

Thanks

every big job i do take a photo and insert into a binder with all the rest of the information, i was taken to task on a job serveral years ago but two years later another company did an upgrade which i was getting the blame for.

• The Following User Says Thank You to sirporky For This Useful Post:

downunderdan (26-08-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

It's definitely the way to go. The industry carries with it a higher 'duty of care' than some other trades who have a far more comprehensive structure in regards to certification.

Thanks

It's my understanding here in QLD anyway that you will not be issued with a security licence in the future without a qualification, hence why ASIAL is behind it.

Thanks

Default Qualifications.......

Quote Originally Posted by homesecurity22 View Post
    It's my understanding here in QLD anyway that you will not be issued with a security licence in the future without a qualification, hence why ASIAL is behind it.
    Nice to hear however,...... in my earnest opinion,

Qualifications don't equate to a high standard of work, high standards of work are directly linked to the individual completing the task and their KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE and EXPERTISE in regard to what they are doing!

Regards,

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Shane-Lott View Post
    Nice to hear however,...... in my earnest opinion,

Qualifications don't equate to a high standard of work, high standards of work are directly linked to the individual completing the task and their KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE and EXPERTISE in regard to what they are doing!

Regards,
    A bit like some Queensland medical proffessionals

Thanks

So what is actually required to get a 2F in NSW these days?

Originally I held a statement of attainment in electronic security installation which was issued in the late 90's and a an open licence, is this still sufficient or are there further courses to renew?
    Last edited by Cadence; 09-09-12 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
    So what is actually required to get a 2F in NSW these days?
    A pen.

Tick the box, win a prize.

However, NSW Licence classes 2E and 2F are to be discontinued pursuant to the Security Industry Amendment Bill 2012 (effective November) and replaced by:
    class 2C—authorises the licensee to sell, install, maintain, repair and service, and provide advice in relation to, security equipment (including electronic security equipment and barrier equipment) and to act as a locksmith,
    Bear in mind that licences are simply that. They are not trade qualifications, in much the same way possession of a driver's licence doesn't summarily make you a good driver.

SLED requiring formal qualifications is a double edged sword. In theory it sounds like a good idea, however there is no way for them to recognise every possible qualification, even though many might exceed the qualifications they expect. For example, the Security Consultant (2A) licence might require a Certificate IV in Security (Risk Management). That sounds fine, except what if a person turns up with a Master's Degree in Security Risk Management? Ostensibly SLED would have to send them away to get a Cert IV (which would essentially mean nothing more than paying some money for an RPL). [Edit: I've just checked SLED's website and it seems they may have corrected this anomaly. It's been a loooong time since I applied for mine :-) ]

It would be like telling the head of emergency surgery at St. Vincent's Hospital that they can't start work until they do their basic First-Aid course. Discretionary approval is also a minefield.

In any case, there are other qualifications which cover various outliers, e.g. the ACMA cabling permits etc.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 09-09-12 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks

Thanks,

What courses or action should I be taking to satisfy the new class 2C licence for SLED if the above ASIAL certification is not suitable?

Thanks

Cadence,

The new legislation doesn't take effect until November and I imagine SLED would indicate their expectations at that time. For the time being, the 'old' legislation remains and you could apply for a 2F simply enough, provided you meet the relevant criteria (permanent resident/citizen, criminal history, character references etc.)

I expect you'd be Grandfathered in, but even if there were new requirements they will be phased in, so there's no reason not to simply .

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

Cadence (09-09-12)

Thanks

Question for those in the know, who would people recommend to do their cert iv security(risk management) with?
    I have a bad experience with an online course provider who doesn't want to work with people when financial hardship comes around, they just put it out to debt collectors to deal with, so not real impressed and they don't want to communicate about it or anything. Great way to do business, so I am after people's opinions on who to do it with?

Thanks

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast